strathspey Archive: Bauldy Bain's Fiddle

Bauldy Bain's Fiddle

Message 41641 · L. Friedman-Shedlov · 19 Jul 2005 22:43:28 · Top

Does anyone know the origins for the name of this dance? Who is "Bauldy
Bain"? I did a bit of seraching online and did find a reference to a
Glaswegian children's street chant:

What's you name?
Baldy Bain
What's your ither?
Ask ma mither.

Is this connected to the dance name in some way?

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Bauldy Bain's Fiddle

Message 41693 · Chris Collin · 22 Jul 2005 16:37:00 · Top

L. Friedman~Shedlov wrote:

> Does anyone know the origins for the name of this dance? Who is
> "Bauldy Bain"? I did a bit of seraching online and did find a
> reference to a Glaswegian children's street chant:
>
> What's you name?
> Baldy Bain
> What's your ither?
> Ask ma mither.
>
> Is this connected to the dance name in some way?
>
> / Lara Friedman-Shedlov
> Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Lara,

I had always heard that "Bauldy Bain" was the devil. I have no
references for this; I am just going from memory.

I use this dance to demonstrate how the music should fit the dance.
While the dance is fine, with great music, in my opinion, the Kingston
Ontario dance "The Golden Gaels Reel" fits the dance much better (BBF is
the music called for). I teach both dances in succession, using the
same music, and ask the class which dance fits the music better. So
far, the majority agrees with me.

You may want to try this!

Chris Collin
Osgoode Scottish Country Dance Group

Bauldy Bain's Fiddle

Message 41694 · SMiskoe · 22 Jul 2005 17:40:36 · Top

Old Willie Hunter by Ronnie Cooper is also the suggested tune. While it's a
great tune it requires a certain amount of practice to make it fly.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Bauldy Bain's Fiddle

Message 41695 · Eric Clyde · 22 Jul 2005 17:46:38 · Top

Hi:

Unfortunately the devisor, John Bowey Dickson, has been dead for a
number of years so, unless someone is good at seances or has the
necessary contacts ... A mutual friend contacted his wife, but she
couldn't help.

While I was growing up in Scotland I was certainly familiar with jingles
around the name Bauldy Bain, and it was frequently used derisively to
old men similarly afflicted (I'm not quite there yet, myself, but
getting close!)

I did a bit of searching on Google as well, and came across the
following poem quoted in Highland Balls and Village Halls, By G. W.
Lockhart.

'The Barn Dance'. W.D. Cocker.

Hey! for the music o'Baldy Bain's fiddle!
Redd up the barn, a' we'e gie ye a Reel.
In till it, noo! wit a diddle-dum-diddle,
Dod! that's the tune to pit springs in your heel.

Skirlin' o' lassocks, an' 'Hoochs' frae ilk fellow,
Cheers, when the gudeman himsel' taks the flair,
Leads Petronella wi' hellicate Bella,
Brawest o' dochters, though gey deil-may-care.

Hey! for the music o'Baldy Bain's fiddle!
Lads frae the bothies, an' herds frae the hill
Cleek wi' young lassies, sae jimp roon the middle.
Gosh! but some auld anes are soople anes still.

Lang Geordie Craddock, the grieve o'Kilmadock,
Widowed sae aft he's fain to forget,
Wha would jalouse he could loup like a puddock?
Faith! but here's spunk in the auld deevil yet!

Hey! for the music o'Baldy Bain's fiddle!
Syne we'll hae supper, for time's wearin' on;
Drinks for the drouthy, an' scones frae the griddle
Bella's the las that can bake a guid scone.

Baldy's in fettle, an' sweers he maun ettle
Ae hinmaist hoolachan juist for the last.
Cast yer coats, callans, an' yoke tae't we' mettle;
Dancin' and daffin' days sune will be past.

(If anyone needs a translation, let me know!)

Kilmadock is a parish in Perthshire, but I don't know whether Baldy Bain
was a real person on not. Maybe Jim Healy could find out more, since he
lives in Perth!

Apparently W.D. Cocker was a Scottish poet who lived from 1882-1970 . He
was taken prisoner in 1917 after serving with the Highland Light Inf.
and the Royal Scots. Apparently he only wrote a small body of war poetry
including Up the Line to Poelkapelle, The Sniper and a five-part sonnet
cycle 'Sonnets in Captivity'

Eric Clyde
Ottawa Branch

L. Friedman~Shedlov wrote:

> Does anyone know the origins for the name of this dance? Who is
> "Bauldy Bain"? I did a bit of seraching online and did find a
> reference to a Glaswegian children's street chant:
>
> What's you name?
> Baldy Bain
> What's your ither?
> Ask ma mither.
>
> Is this connected to the dance name in some way?
>
> / Lara Friedman-Shedlov
> Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Bauldy Bain's Fiddle

Message 41697 · L. Friedman-Shedlov · 22 Jul 2005 18:39:45 · Top

Yes, I found out that the first stanza of this poem is actually quoted in
the Lothian Book, where the dance is published. However, that doesn't
explain who "Bauldy Bain" is.

/ Lara

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov "Librarians -- Like Google, but
ldfs@bigfoot.com warm-blooded"
********************************

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Eric Clyde wrote:

> I did a bit of searching on Google as well, and came across the following
> poem quoted in Highland Balls and Village Halls, By G. W. Lockhart.
>

> 'The Barn Dance'. W.D. Cocker.
>
> Hey! for the music o'Baldy Bain's fiddle!
> Redd up the barn, a' we'e gie ye a Reel.
> In till it, noo! wit a diddle-dum-diddle,
> Dod! that's the tune to pit springs in your heel.
>
> Skirlin' o' lassocks, an' 'Hoochs' frae ilk fellow,
> Cheers, when the gudeman himsel' taks the flair,
> Leads Petronella wi' hellicate Bella,
> Brawest o' dochters, though gey deil-may-care.
>
> Hey! for the music o'Baldy Bain's fiddle!
> Lads frae the bothies, an' herds frae the hill
> Cleek wi' young lassies, sae jimp roon the middle.
> Gosh! but some auld anes are soople anes still.
>
> Lang Geordie Craddock, the grieve o'Kilmadock,
> Widowed sae aft he's fain to forget,
> Wha would jalouse he could loup like a puddock?
> Faith! but here's spunk in the auld deevil yet!
>
> Hey! for the music o'Baldy Bain's fiddle!
> Syne we'll hae supper, for time's wearin' on;
> Drinks for the drouthy, an' scones frae the griddle
> Bella's the las that can bake a guid scone.
>
> Baldy's in fettle, an' sweers he maun ettle
> Ae hinmaist hoolachan juist for the last.
> Cast yer coats, callans, an' yoke tae't we' mettle;
> Dancin' and daffin' days sune will be past.

Bauldy Bain's Fiddle

Message 41699 · Stewart Cunningham · 22 Jul 2005 18:57:34 · Top

George Lockhart is alive and well and is the sort of person who might
know the answer to the query about Baldy Bain's fiddle mentioned in the
poem in his book. I could probably get in contact with George so whoever
asked the original question about Bauldy Bain's fiddle (I've forgotten
after all the many e-mails on this subject) please contact me if they're
interested.
Thanks!
Stewart Cunningham,
Vancouver