strathspey Archive: Is SCD officially good for you?

Is SCD officially good for you?

Message 41554 · Anselm Lingnau · 5 Jul 2005 11:27:11 · Top

After the most recent public health reforms here in Germany, health insurance
companies have started to offer schemes where people can get discounts or
prizes through »healthy living«, as in visiting doctors for regular
check-ups, joining a health club, or taking part in organized sports.

As we believe that SCD is Much Better For You (TM) than, say, tedious marathon
running or mindless iron pumping, we are in the process of trying to get our
SCD group accredited as an »organized sport« for the purposes of health
insurance. This is automatic if the »sport« in question is part of the
official German sports bureaucracy but of course not for us, since we aren't
(nor want to be). Having several RSCDS-certified teachers in the club is
hopefully going to help, and we've also come up with a long list of bullet
points noting the beneficial aspects of SCD on the body, mind, and soul. What
would be helpful, however, would be any learned-looking articles or other
publications (optimally ones that have not obviously been cooked up by the
SCD community) that would further our cause. Does anybody know of anything of
the sort?

We intend to document our approach for the benefit of other German SCD groups,
and it also seems to us that once we have established our credentials with
one health insurance carrier it will be much easier to do the same with
others. So this is a bit of a »model case«.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity.

Is SCD officially good for you?

Message 41555 · Andrew Smith · 5 Jul 2005 11:52:09 · Top

Hello, Anselm,
There was a Cambridge (I think) UK academic who published something on the
beneficial effects of SCD some few years ago now, and I think that there was
reference to it in "The Reel" about 2-3 years ago.
Sorry no more than this but it might trigger other grey-cells with better
recall than mine.
Certainly on several occasions doctors have asked me about activities, and
the universal response has been, "There cannot be much wrong with you if you
do that much Scottish country dancing."
Andrew,
Bristol, UK.
[...]

Message 41556 · Jean Martin · 5 Jul 2005 12:00:52 · Top

Dear Anselm

Not an academic study but an article based on independent research appeared
in a magazine called Men's Health in October 2002. The article refers to
work by Prof Michael Argyle, a psychologist at Oxford Brookes University. A
GP, Dr Vincent Forte is quoted as saying "It's been established that an hour
of vigorous dancing is equivalent to an hour in the gym". The article is
very much 'magazine' style but does provide contacts which could prove
useful.
www.menshealth.co.uk is the website address.
The RSCDS gets a wee bit of publicity too in that we are given as a contact
point for anyone interested in taking up Scottish dancing.

Jean Martin
Aberdeen
[...]

Message 41557 · john.m.sturrock · 5 Jul 2005 15:27:52 · Top

Michael Argyle, who died 4 years ago, was a most interesting man - often
described as 'Professor of Happiness at Oxford University'. His whole
working life was spent as Lecturer/Reader in Social Psychology at that
University, although he became an Emeritus Professor at Oxford Brookes on
retirement.

He was a keen practitioner of SCD, and, when his main field of study turned
to what makes people happiest, he, not unnaturally, linked the two in a
series of papers. He had the knack of getting SCD into print in the popular
daily papers, particularly during the early 90s, under such headlines as
"The Secret of Happiness - Scottish Country Dancing" or "Happiness is ...
Scottish Country Dancing". Perhaps we could have made more of all that
free publicity at the time!

Astute googling on Michael should enable Anselm to turn up quite a lot to
back his case - assuming that healthy people are happy people!

John M Sturrock
Cupar
UK

> Not an academic study but an article based on independent research
> appeared
> in a magazine called Men's Health in October 2002. The article refers to
> work by Prof Michael Argyle, a psychologist at Oxford Brookes University.
> GP, Dr Vincent Forte is quoted as saying "It's been established that an
> hour
> of vigorous dancing is equivalent to an hour in the gym". The article is
> very much 'magazine' style but does provide contacts which could prove
> useful.
> www.menshealth.co.uk is the website address.
> The RSCDS gets a wee bit of publicity too in that we are given as a
> contact
> point for anyone interested in taking up Scottish dancing.
>
> Jean Martin
> Aberdeen

Message 41559 · John Chambers · 5 Jul 2005 16:49:25 · Top

Anselm asked:
| After the most recent public health reforms here in Germany, health insuran=
| ce=20
| companies have started to offer schemes where people can get discounts or=
| =20
| prizes through =BBhealthy living=AB, as in visiting doctors for regular=20
| check-ups, joining a health club, or taking part in organized sports.
..
| What=20
| would be helpful, however, would be any learned-looking articles or other=
| =20
| publications (optimally ones that have not obviously been cooked up by the=
| =20
| SCD community) that would further our cause. Does anybody know of anything =
| of=20
| the sort?

Something else you might look for: Several recent studies have shown the
benefits of various kinds of mental exercise on general mental health, and
slowing the progress of various mental degenerative diseases such as
Alzheimer's. A quick google for "mental-exercise health benefits" turns up
around 10,000 thousand hits. Many are silly or are actually about the effect
of physical exercise on mental health. A few that actually deal with the
benefits of mental exercise are:

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/95/103544.htm
http://www.dancescape.org/ezine/articles/8/1/Benefits-of-Dancing-&-Quick-Tips-for-Staying-Healthy
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761110526/ref=ase_worldimagenat-20/002-5009836-3744002?v=glance&s=books

You could dig through these for the ones that are from medical sources for
more information and leads to the actual research.

As with physical exercise, the benefits seem to come from any sort of mental
exercise. The studies typically look at things like puzzle solving. SCD
wouldn't be special, but would be effective, as would ECD, American square
dance, advanced ballroom dancing, those complex choreographed Balkan dances
that a lot of "international" groups do, and so on. These are all complex
dance forms that take quite a bit of thought to do successfully. The mental
benefit would be in addition to the physical exercise, of course.

When I've run across these studies, I've occasionally wondered whether dance
teachers should be looking into it more. You could teach a regular class in
your favorite dance, and get paid for it by the medical system. Actually,
I've seen this in Scandinavia, where dancing is part of the regular services
at some "managed care" facilities, and it's considered part of the therapy. I
don't know how widespread this is in the rest of the world, though.

Is SCD officially good for you?

Message 41566 · Barbara de Winton · 5 Jul 2005 22:40:05 · Top

I have often given Dr Michael Argyle's article 'The Psychology of Scottish Dancing' to new dancers. In this article he states that the most striking feature of Scottish Country Dancing is the high level of joy created.
I see this as very positive encouragement to new dancers and there is always much laughter in the class.

Barbara de Winton
Bristol

"john.m.sturrock" <john.m.sturrock@btinternet.com> wrote:
Michael Argyle, who died 4 years ago, was a most interesting man - often
described as 'Professor of Happiness at Oxford University'. His whole
working life was spent as Lecturer/Reader in Social Psychology at that
University, although he became an Emeritus Professor at Oxford Brookes on
retirement.

He was a keen practitioner of SCD, and, when his main field of study turned
to what makes people happiest, he, not unnaturally, linked the two in a
series of papers. He had the knack of getting SCD into print in the popular
daily papers, particularly during the early 90s, under such headlines as
"The Secret of Happiness - Scottish Country Dancing" or "Happiness is ...
Scottish Country Dancing". Perhaps we could have made more of all that
free publicity at the time!

Astute googling on Michael should enable Anselm to turn up quite a lot to
back his case - assuming that healthy people are happy people!

John M Sturrock
Cupar
UK

> Not an academic study but an article based on independent research
> appeared
> in a magazine called Men's Health in October 2002. The article refers to
> work by Prof Michael Argyle, a psychologist at Oxford Brookes University.
> GP, Dr Vincent Forte is quoted as saying "It's been established that an
> hour
> of vigorous dancing is equivalent to an hour in the gym". The article is
> very much 'magazine' style but does provide contacts which could prove
> useful.
> www.menshealth.co.uk is the website address.
> The RSCDS gets a wee bit of publicity too in that we are given as a
> contact
> point for anyone interested in taking up Scottish dancing.
>
> Jean Martin
> Aberdeen

Message 41567 · Sophie Rickebusch · 5 Jul 2005 23:40:30 · Top

Do you have a reference (journal, year) or a copy you can send?

--
Sophie Rickebusch
CH - Wettswil am Albis

I have often given Dr Michael Argyle's article 'The Psychology of Scottish
Dancing' to new dancers. In this article he states that the most striking
feature of Scottish Country Dancing is the high level of joy created.
I see this as very positive encouragement to new dancers and there is always
much laughter in the class.

Barbara de Winton
Bristol

"john.m.sturrock" <john.m.sturrock@btinternet.com> wrote:
Michael Argyle, who died 4 years ago, was a most interesting man - often
described as 'Professor of Happiness at Oxford University'. His whole
working life was spent as Lecturer/Reader in Social Psychology at that
University, although he became an Emeritus Professor at Oxford Brookes on
retirement.

He was a keen practitioner of SCD, and, when his main field of study turned
to what makes people happiest, he, not unnaturally, linked the two in a
series of papers. He had the knack of getting SCD into print in the popular
daily papers, particularly during the early 90s, under such headlines as
"The Secret of Happiness - Scottish Country Dancing" or "Happiness is ...
Scottish Country Dancing". Perhaps we could have made more of all that
free publicity at the time!

Astute googling on Michael should enable Anselm to turn up quite a lot to
back his case - assuming that healthy people are happy people!

John M Sturrock
Cupar
UK

> Not an academic study but an article based on independent research
> appeared
> in a magazine called Men's Health in October 2002. The article refers to
> work by Prof Michael Argyle, a psychologist at Oxford Brookes University.
> GP, Dr Vincent Forte is quoted as saying "It's been established that an
> hour
> of vigorous dancing is equivalent to an hour in the gym". The article is
> very much 'magazine' style but does provide contacts which could prove
> useful.
> www.menshealth.co.uk is the website address.
> The RSCDS gets a wee bit of publicity too in that we are given as a
> contact
> point for anyone interested in taking up Scottish dancing.
>
> Jean Martin
> Aberdeen

Message 41569 · John & Anne Archdeacon · 6 Jul 2005 01:29:25 · Top

For me too please!

I have often given Dr Michael Argyle's article 'The Psychology of Scottish
Dancing' to new dancers. In this article he states that the most striking
feature of Scottish Country Dancing is the high level of joy created.
I see this as very positive encouragement to new dancers and there is always
much laughter in the class.

Barbara de Winton
Bristol

"john.m.sturrock" <john.m.sturrock@btinternet.com> wrote:
Michael Argyle, who died 4 years ago, was a most interesting man - often
described as 'Professor of Happiness at Oxford University'. His whole
working life was spent as Lecturer/Reader in Social Psychology at that
University, although he became an Emeritus Professor at Oxford Brookes on
retirement.

He was a keen practitioner of SCD, and, when his main field of study turned
to what makes people happiest, he, not unnaturally, linked the two in a
series of papers. He had the knack of getting SCD into print in the popular
daily papers, particularly during the early 90s, under such headlines as
"The Secret of Happiness - Scottish Country Dancing" or "Happiness is ...
Scottish Country Dancing". Perhaps we could have made more of all that
free publicity at the time!

Astute googling on Michael should enable Anselm to turn up quite a lot to
back his case - assuming that healthy people are happy people!

John M Sturrock
Cupar
UK

> Not an academic study but an article based on independent research
> appeared
> in a magazine called Men's Health in October 2002. The article refers to
> work by Prof Michael Argyle, a psychologist at Oxford Brookes University.
> GP, Dr Vincent Forte is quoted as saying "It's been established that an
> hour
> of vigorous dancing is equivalent to an hour in the gym". The article is
> very much 'magazine' style but does provide contacts which could prove
> useful.
> www.menshealth.co.uk is the website address.
> The RSCDS gets a wee bit of publicity too in that we are given as a
> contact
> point for anyone interested in taking up Scottish dancing.
>
> Jean Martin
> Aberdeen

Message 41570 · Elizabeth Chennault · 6 Jul 2005 02:30:56 · Top

Barbara, could you please post a reference for this article?

Thanks,

Elizabeth
Austin, Tx

For me too please!

"john.m.sturrock" wrote:
Michael Argyle, who died 4 years ago, was a most interesting man - often
described as 'Professor of Happiness at Oxford University'. His whole
working life was spent as Lecturer/Reader in Social Psychology at that
University, although he became an Emeritus Professor at Oxford Brookes on
retirement.

He was a keen practitioner of SCD, and, when his main field of study turned
to what makes people happiest, he, not unnaturally, linked the two in a
series of papers. He had the knack of getting SCD into print in the popular
daily papers, particularly during the early 90s, under such headlines as
"The Secret of Happiness - Scottish Country Dancing" or "Happiness is ...
Scottish Country Dancing". Perhaps we could have made more of all that
free publicity at the time!

Astute googling on Michael should enable Anselm to turn up quite a lot to
back his case - assuming that healthy people are happy people!

John M Sturrock
Cupar
UK

> Not an academic study but an article based on independent research
> appeared
> in a magazine called Men's Health in October 2002. The article refers to
> work by Prof Michael Argyle, a psychologist at Oxford Brookes University.
> GP, Dr Vincent Forte is quoted as saying "It's been established that an
> hour
> of vigorous dancing is equivalent to an hour in the gym". The article is
> very much 'magazine' style but does provide contacts which could prove
> useful.
> www.menshealth.co.uk is the website address.
> The RSCDS gets a wee bit of publicity too in that we are given as a
> contact
> point for anyone interested in taking up Scottish dancing.
>
> Jean Martin
> Aberdeen

Message 41561 · Jim Healy · 5 Jul 2005 16:59:42 · Top

Anselm,

Marilyn's magical filing system has produced a copy of an article by Michael
Argyle from the Independent on Sunday of 14 July 1996. That does not mention
SCD much but offers:

" 'Joy' was the emotion experienced most by Scottish dancers, 'Anger and
frustration' by political groups"

The article refers to his book "The Social Psychology of Leisure" which is
currently available on Amazon in the UK for a couple of quid (plus postage).
ISBN is 0140238875.

If you would like a copy of the somewhat faded copy of the article just send
me snail-mail details privately and I will post it to you.

HTH

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

Is SCD officially good for you?

Message 41562 · Volleyballjerry · 5 Jul 2005 18:32:03 · Top

I have fairly recently heard in the media, likely some study or other, that
such things as SCD, whereïn the physical activity also requires considerable
parallel cerebral activity to make it effective, are a deterrent to Alzheimer's
Disease.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Is SCD officially good for you?

Message 41563 · Norma or Mike Briggs · 5 Jul 2005 18:49:15 · Top

Sorry, but I deleted Robb's email right after I read it and I can't
remember what kind of disease he was talking about. Help. ;)

Mike
Norma Briggs Voice 608 835 0914
Michael J Briggs Fax 608 835 0924
BRIGGS LAW OFFICE
1519 Storytown Road Oregon WI 53575-2521 USA

Is SCD officially good for you?

Message 41564 · Volleyballjerry · 5 Jul 2005 19:07:46 · Top

The following piece was sent to us a couple of days ago. It's the type of
thing that activities such as SCD are supposed to help ward off. I find though
that despite SCD I do have days like this!!!

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Recently, I was diagnosed with A. A. A. D. D. - Age Activated Attention
Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.

As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my
car needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table
that I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can
under the table, and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage
first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the
garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only one check
left.

My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my
desk where I find the can of Coke that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so
that I don't accidentally knock it over. I realize the Coke is getting warm,
and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter
catches my eye--they need to be watered.

I set the Coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that
I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the
flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and
suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the
remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it
back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the
spill.

Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the driveway is flooded the car isn't washed, the
bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter, there is
still only one check in my check book, I can't find the remote, I can't find my
glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled
because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired.

Is SCD officially good for you?

Message 41571 · Angus Henry · 6 Jul 2005 03:55:46 · Top

In recent months there have been quite a few interesting interviews and
talks, at a detailed and authoritative level, on Australian Radio
National, often by leading medical and university people in USA and UK,
in which specific reference has been made to the value of SCD in
delaying or preventing the onset of Alzheimers disease (SCD, playing
musical instruments and cryptic crosswords being specifically
identified), similarly for osteoporosis with the weight bearing
exercise, and similarly for the heart as a good aerobic activity. A
psychiatrist was specific in ranking SCD highly in relation to a happy
life-style. The benefit in relation to diabetes has also been
mentioned, but in a more generalised way. The fact that this health
maintenance take place in a socially rewarding environment has also
been stressed. (None of the speakers was Scottish!)

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific, but if a fairly formal
approach was made to the ABC's Radio National (they pride themselves on
good community relationships and service) they may be able to (and
prepared to) do a search of archives etc to find this material for you
- an offer of good publicity for them in your request probably would
not go astray!

On the happiness side, the Brisbane newspaper Courier Mail published an
article on 18 August 1993 called "Don't Worry, Be Happy" about a Dr
Michael Argyle, a psychologist at Wolfson College, who studies and
writes on happiness, and who recommended to the interviewer that he
took up SCD.

Good luck, and we hope you will share the fruits of your research with
us all.

Angus