strathspey Archive: Attributing dances

Attributing dances

Message 41522 · Volleyballjerry · 24 Jun 2005 23:40:17 · Top

In a message dated 06/24/2005 8:42:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
laradf@umich.edu writes:

> Often (most?) times when people are giving the source for a dance, they
> are giving the name of the publication, rather than the name of the
> deviser. Thus, "Angus Fitchett" makes perfect sense for J. B. Milne, as
> it is published in the Angus Fitchett Album.
>
> If there is limited space available, as is often the case in dance
> programs, cribs, and the WGB, I generally find this type of attribution
> (name of the source publication) more useful than just the deviser's
> name, especially if he/she has dances in multiple publications. The
> primary goal is to point people to the authoritative source for the dance
> which will (presumeably) give full details as to the deviser.
>
> / Lara Friedman-Shedlov
> Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Our own dance programs and cuebooks generally give the last name of the
deviser and (if necessary some shortened form of) the publication, such as "Drewry
/ Stoneywood," and if unpublished the last name of the deviser followed by
"leaflet."

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA