strathspey Archive: query on 51st Travellers re Set and Link

query on 51st Travellers re Set and Link

Message 41470 · Ian Brown · 20 Jun 2005 19:13:21 · Top

I'd be grateful for confirmation of how to do "set and link" in quick time,
please.

I'm presuming it's two bars of setting followed by two of travelling step to
move to new places: no attempt to use pas de basque to achieve the move. Is
that correct?

regards

Ian Brown

query on 51st Travellers re Set and Link

Message 41474 · Sophie Rickebusch · 21 Jun 2005 01:35:21 · Top

Well, seeing as how the only "set and link" description in the manual (for
2C in strathspey time) says 2 setting steps and 2 travelling steps, I would
assume it's the same in quick time. Plus, as it's for 3C in the dance in
question, that would make it quite a long way to travel on 2 pas-de-basque
steps. That's only my (educated?) guess of course, so if anyone out there
knows otherwise, I'd be glad to hear about it too... Sorry Ian, it doesn't
really answer your question, but at least you know that someone else agrees
with your interpretation.

Sophie
--
Sophie Rickebusch
CH - Wettswil am Albis

I'd be grateful for confirmation of how to do "set and link" in quick time,
please.

I'm presuming it's two bars of setting followed by two of travelling step to
move to new places: no attempt to use pas de basque to achieve the move. Is
that correct?

regards

Ian Brown

query on 51st Travellers re Set and Link

Message 41476 · Anselm Lingnau · 21 Jun 2005 02:53:40 · Top

Sophie Rickebusch wrote:

> Well, seeing as how the only "set and link" description in the manual (for
> 2C in strathspey time) says 2 setting steps and 2 travelling steps, I would
> assume it's the same in quick time.

I think that is a very safe assumption. At least I've never seen it taught
otherwise.
--
Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Q. What's the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?

query on 51st Travellers re Set and Link

Message 41485 · Ian Brown · 21 Jun 2005 20:10:38 · Top

Thank you Anselm and Sophie. Like you I thought it a reasonable assumption,
given the distance to be covered, though this was one of a small number of
figures where I felt the pas de basque was just an alternative and I rather
enjoy the occasions when it is used as a movement step.

After I had sent my email I saw that Book 44, which contains The 51st
Travellers, also contains Knotwork by Wouter Joubert and this dance too
contains set and link in jig time. Wouter was kind enough to send me
private confirmation that the travelling step was indeed correct.

regards
Ian