strathspey Archive: ADMINISTRIVIA: Happy new year 2005

ADMINISTRIVIA: Happy new year 2005

Message 40131 · Anselm Lingnau · 3 Jan 2005 16:57:44 · Top

First of all, happy new year to everybody on the list, and many enjoyable
hours on the dance floor.

I'd like to take this opportunity to comment on a few of the observations
people have made recently:

- The ?SCD News and Discussion? tag line is the one the Mailman software
associates with the strathspey@strathspey.org address (and, apparently,
insists on sending out). It is, by itself, in no way indicative of spam;
however nothing prevents virus-infected PCs -- at other sites; the
Strathspey machines, being based on Linux, are for all purposes immune
to viruses -- from taking this address and tag line in vain. Note that
proper Strathspey messages will contain, among other things, a header
saying

(which, apparently, the conversion to Mailman also broke; sorry to all
who had to change their filtering setups), which spam slingers will
seldom take the trouble to reproduce.

- I hope to get the archives restored (including December) during the
next couple of weeks or so. I'm currently evaluating nifty new archive
management software and it is likely that we will be seeing more changes
in that area of the site, which will hopefully be for the better.

- The Strathspey server isn't ?gone?, at least not intentionally and not
for extended periods of time. It seems that the Zope system I'm using to
maintain the web site has some deep, murky problems with whatever I'm
asking it to do (I don't think it's a problem with Zope in principle as
the rest of the world seems to be getting along with it just fine) that
cause it to go south every so often. Right now it's being reset every
three hours, but the thing is slowly driving me insane, thus ...

- The Strathspey server will, during the course of the next month or so,
move away from Zope to a new, custom content management system that I've
been wasting many sleepless nights on, especially for you. I will
probably do the move gradually, one bit at a time, and make the new site
available to ?sneak previewers? in order to get early feedback. In the
end this will hopefully lead to fewer administrative headaches for yours
truly, mucho enhanced functionality for the Strathspey community, and
general peace on earth and goodwill to all people (well, we can hope, can't
we?). Expect announcements here as things progress, and don't hold your
breath waiting for them; I have to have a real job to pay my rent and
get something to eat every so often, and the CeBIT fair is looming in
the distance ...

Happy dancing,
Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Computers are supposed to serve man, not vice versa, the experience of the

ADMINISTRIVIA: Happy new year 2005

Message 40133 · Pia Walker · 3 Jan 2005 22:03:58 · Top

Sweet nice Anselm - thank you for all your hard work - it is the best excuse
for not sleeping over the holidays I have ever heard - mine is food and
festivities :>) I hope that all your wishes come through and that you can
keep our New Year resolutions.

And please for those of us (i.e. me) for whom english is not a first
language :>) am I CLEAN?- please refer to Ron M's previous note and my
paranoia - thank you Anselm.

If IT can drive an IT man insane - what chance have the rest of us

Pia