strathspey Archive: The Barnyards of Delgaty

The Barnyards of Delgaty

Message 3987 · Ian Price · 24 Apr 1996 22:30:21 · Top

> ...an old Irish Song called "The Barnyards of Delgaty"...

That would be Delgaty near Turriff, Aberdeenshire, the weel-kent county in Eire?

Is there no end to the plagiarism of the Emerald Isle??

>Humber Jumber the hen house
>Sir Hoker Poker is the fox.
>Sir Filio is the rooster.
>My tit for tat is a gun to shoot the fox.
>It almost makes sense...Are there any more verses anyone knows?
>Corrections to this reconstruction?

perfect sense <smile>, now that the metaphor is revealed.

Someone suggested 'tit-for-tat' as rhyming slang for 'hat'. I'd make that
'gat', a slang expression we used to use for our rifles at School, and I
believe short for (Gatling) gun. First example of a double-slang I've seen
though (outside of some of the flaming I see on other e-mail media!).

-2chter

The Barnyards of Delgaty

Message 3992 · Iain E. Garden Richardson · 25 Apr 1996 18:33:40 · Top

> Date: 24 Apr 96 14:26:11 EDT
> From: Ian Price <73707.523@CompuServe.COM>
> Subject: The Barnyards of Delgaty

> > ...an old Irish Song called "The Barnyards of Delgaty"...
>
> That would be Delgaty near Turriff, Aberdeenshire, the weel-kent county in Eire?

"The Barnyards" is but a few miles from my hoose (about 20-30 miles
North-West of Aberdeen), and I don't think there are any old Irish
in the vicinity...
I'm afraid I don't see any connection between the words of Humber
Jumber and those of "the Barnyards of Delgaty".
For those who know the song, "Turra" is the correct (!) pronunciation
of "Turriff", a market town in North-West Aberdeenshire.

Cheers

Iain.

Iain E. Garden Richardson
Lecturer and researcher: Multimedia Communications
School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Scotland, AB9 1FR
Telephone (0)(+44)1224 262457 Facsimile (0)(+44)1224 262444
Email i.g.richardson@rgu.ac.uk
World Wide Web http://www.eee.rgu.ac.uk/Comms

The Barnyards of Delgaty

Message 3996 · GRTSCOT · 25 Apr 1996 22:36:08 · Top

Thanks for your info Iain - I have an "Old Irish" song book in my attic - I'm
afraid it's not easily accessible - but it belonged to my Grandmother and she
grew up in Northern Ireland - not Aberdeenshire - and her "Barnyards of
Delgaty" - had no "Old Scots" around... amazing how the heritage
intertwines... on the issue of words - I didn't think the words to Humber
Jumber were the same - just the scanning which made me think of the tune
mentioned above - I should have been clearer
cheers liz hamilton-harris

The Barnyards of Delgaty

Message 4034 · ERBRUNKEN · 3 May 1996 07:10:16 · Top

Isn't there a Scots song...the Barn yards of Belgaddie (Belgatty?)? Which I
think is in Fife..... or am I way off....wouldn't be the first time!

Linton addie tooraladdie
Linton addie too ra ley
Linton addie tooraladdie
The Barn yards o' Belgaddie

Don't you just love the folk process of passing on words....

The Barnyards of Delgaty

Message 4037 · Joe Shelby · 3 May 1996 17:30:34 · Top

> Isn't there a Scots song...the Barn yards of Belgaddie (Belgatty?)? Which I
> think is in Fife..... or am I way off....wouldn't be the first time!
>
> Linton addie tooraladdie
> Linton addie too ra ley
> Linton addie tooraladdie
> The Barn yards o' Belgaddie
>
> Don't you just love the folk process of passing on words....

Old Blind Dogs does this on one of their albums (Tall Tails)...
unfortunately, their web site only has sound files, not lyrics, so i can't
get anything here...

here's the lyrics according to Digital Tradition:
BARNYARDS OF DELGATY

As I cam' in by Turra Market,
Turra Market for to fee
I fell in wi' a farmer chiel,
The Barnyards of Delgaty

Lintin addie toorin addie, Lintin addie toorin ee
Lintin lowrin, lowrin, lowrin, The barnyards of Delgaty

He promised me the ae best pair
That ever I set my e'en upon
When I gaed to the Barnyards,
There was naething there but skin and bone

The auld black horse sat on its rump,
The auld white mare lay on her wime
And for all that I could "Hup" and crack
They wouldna rise at yokin' time
When I gae to the kirk on Sunday
Mony's the bonnie lass I see
Sitting by her faither's side
And winkin o'er the pews at me

I can drink and no be drunk
I can fecht and no be slain
I can lie wi another man's lass
And aye be welcome to my ain

Noo my candle is brunt oot
My snotter's fairly on the wane
Sae fare ye weel ye Barnyards
Ye'll never catch me here again

_________
refers to a hiring fair where workers contract for a year's labor
sung by MacColl (Bothy Ballads and Scottish Popular Song) and
Bikel (Bravo Bikel)

(and now Old Blind Dogs, but i'm sure this file was made before they released
it :)

--
joe

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Joseph Shelby : Software Engineer jshelby@autometric.com
5520 Cherokee Ave, Suite 210, Alexandria, VA 22312 (703) 658-6127
http://www.io.com/~acroyear
Sing out your songs and
Ring out your stories and rhymes
Weave from your dreams those mystical
Dances that lead us to bind heart and mind
-- "Home and the Heartland", Bill Whelan
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx