strathspey Archive: Alberta Rose

Alberta Rose

Message 38657 · Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov · 7 Jun 2004 17:35:34 · Top

Can anyone supply directions (privately) for a dance called "Alberta
Rose"? It is published in the Martello Tower Book 2.

Thanks in advance!

Lara Friedman~Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lara Friedman~Shedlov "Thwart not the librarian!"
ldfs@bigfoot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alberta Rose

Message 38658 · Andrew Buxton · 7 Jun 2004 17:40:03 · Top

I'd be interested to know more about the Martello Tower Book(s).
Martello towers are endemic in our area!

Andrew Buxton
Brighton, East Sussex, UK

From: John Cahill <piobair@earthlink.net>
To: strathspey@strathspey.org <strathspey@strathspey.org>
Date: Monday, June 07, 2004 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: (Even) More about Martello Towers than you wanted to know

>And there is a Martello tower at Sandymount in Dublin made
>moderately famous by the opening chapter of Joyce's "Ulysses".
>
>(And there's another one near Londonderry on Lough Foyle, I think.)
>
>Cheers,
>
>-John-

(Still even) More about Martello Towers than you wanted to know

Message 38665 · Norman Dahl · 8 Jun 2004 09:16:51 · Top

I have heard that the change in spelling from "Mortella" (the location
of the original tower) to "Martello" was the result of a transcription
error by a clerk in the British War Office.
---
Norman Dahl
Brisbane, Australia

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
-- George Eliot
---

More about Martello Towers than you wanted to know

Message 38666 · Andrew Buxton · 8 Jun 2004 10:58:31 · Top

Thanks to all who sent information on Martello Towers - both the
buildings and the books. We'll try out some of the dances. I see that
one at least (Herstmonceux Castle) has an East Sussex connection.

Andrew Buxton
Brighton, East Sussex, UK

This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of IDS.

Institute of Development Studies
at the University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9RE
Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202
IDS, a charitable company limited by guarantee:
Registered Charity No. 306371; Registered in England 877338; VAT No. GB 350 899914

Not More about Martello Towers etc

Message 38676 · Ron Mackey · 8 Jun 2004 23:39:44 · Top

On 8 Jun 2004 at 17:16, Norman Dahl wrote:

> I have heard that the change in spelling from "Mortella" (the location
> of the original tower) to "Martello" was the result of a transcription
> error by a clerk in the British War Office.
> ---
> Norman Dahl
> Brisbane, Australia

Come, Come Norman
This is rather hard to take!
Are you implying here that a civil servant could
possibly have made a mistake ??? :~))

Martello Tower Book(s)

Message 38660 · Alex Collins · 7 Jun 2004 20:28:29 · Top

Andrew ---
For the books, go to: www.rscdskingston.org
that's Kingston, Ontario, Canada, at the east end of Lake
Ontario, and at the south end of the Rideau Canal which
goes north to Ottawa on the Ottawa River.
For the towers, try advanced Google with the search words:
kingston martello tower
--- Alex
R Alex Collins, Toronto rac@ecf.utoronto.ca

Alberta Rose

Message 38661 · Ozorak · 7 Jun 2004 21:33:35 · Top

There are Martello towers in the Kingston (Ontario) area. This is where
the book originated.

Etienne Ozorak
Meadville, PA USA

[...]

Message 38678 · margaret.dudley · 9 Jun 2004 06:12:10 · Top

Relpy sent privately