strathspey Archive: How to dance John McAlpin properly

How to dance John McAlpin properly

Message 38576 · C W · 2 Jun 2004 01:21:07 · Top

Hello all.

I recently moved to a different area and have found out that my new dance
group dances John McAlpin different from how I was taught to dance it at
home. My problem arises in bars 5 and 6. I have been taught to touch right
hands briefly in bars 1 and 2, to change sides with the left hand in bars 3
and 4, to be lead down (as a woman) with the right hand in bars 5 and 6, to
face my partner, switch hands back to left and turn my partner to my first
corner. However my new dance family retains left hands to lead down by the
left hand and continue to turn with the left to face first corners.

Unfortunately I am not able to find a bullet proof description of the dance.
I was only able to find a few online cheat sheets that specifically asked
for a lead down by the right hand.

In my opinion (and I am not a teacher) it looks a lot prettier to switch
hands. Also the lady is less tempted to move ahead (and start the turn) when
her right arm prevents her from moving farther down. It is a nice
acknowledgement of the partner as well when you are facing him/her again
when you switch hands at the end of bar 6. My last point in favor of
switching hands is that when the instructions say "lead down" you usually do
that with right hands.

I was just wondering if any of you ran into the same problem and what your
opinions on that matter are. I'd like to hear from the experts how it's done
correctly :)

Carla

P.S. How are you feeling about the footchange for the men when they start to
advance? Personally I think it is cute. And it ensures you don't step on
each others feet. On the other hand you have to have a partner that you are
totally comfortable with. So should this be discussed between the couple
before the dance starts? What's the propper ettiquette on that one? What
would Miss Milligan say??

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win
$1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp

How to dance John McAlpin properly

Message 38577 · Volleyballjerry · 2 Jun 2004 01:48:28 · Top

Well, Carla, here's my "2¢"...

As far as I've ever known, the RH-LH-RH-LH is a particular feature of this
dance; doing all of bars 3-8 LH is, I am quite certain, an improper shortcut.
I've never heard of nor seen that. Additionally, bars 5-6 are not just lead
down, but, I believe, in-and-down.

In general there seems to be very little that occurs with a LH lead except
for crossing sides under some circumstances.

As far as the feet are concerned, I've never encountered anything but the
normal sequence of right and left for both man and woman during the first eight
bars.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

How to dance John McAlpin properly

Message 38578 · Brian Charlton · 2 Jun 2004 03:28:09 · Top

G'Day, All,

The description in the original publication is as you were taught, i.e.
change hands each two bars. I noticed that it is common to do as your new
friends do in this area as well.

In my opinion, I think, as you do, that the original is best. I think that
the 'revised' version is due to laziness in that the dancers do not cross
right over on bars 3 and 4 and are smudging that movement into the next
phrase.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

[...]

Message 38579 · SMiskoe · 2 Jun 2004 03:52:57 · Top

I don't understand the queston about changing feet. John McAlpine is a great
flirtation dance and I've never heard anyone discuss one's feet.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

How to dance John McAlpin properly

Message 38580 · Patricia Ruggiero · 2 Jun 2004 04:14:11 · Top

Right. If you're flirting, it's with someone's eyes, not with their feet.

(Seriously, though, I do recall a foot change being taught for the men.)

Pat

> I don't understand the queston about changing feet. John
> McAlpine is a great
> flirtation dance and I've never heard anyone discuss one's
> feet. Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

How to dance John McAlpin properly

Message 38581 · C W · 2 Jun 2004 05:00:00 · Top

Hello all

I am very glad that you all agree with me, that it is nicer to change hands.
Even if nothing will change here it is just nice to know.

Robb:
You wrote: "Additionally, bars 5-6 are not just lead down, but, I believe,
in-and-down." Yes, I believe this is what I learned as well. John Mc Alpin
is one of my favorite dances not only because it has those little nuances
that make it such a great dance!

The foot change, that I was inquiring about, doesn't happen until bar 21 for
the men. Some men start the advance on their left foot. That means if they
wish they can be within inches of their partner. I had the pleasure to dance
this dance at the Hogmanay Ball in Philadelphia. My partner was a young,
dashing dancer who was fabulous and we had a blast dancing this together,
flirting like teenagers! Again, if you are not comfortable with your
partner, this closeness will be awkward and irritating. That's why I was
asking how other dance groups feel about it.

Carla

How to dance John McAlpin properly

Message 38585 · Martin Mulligan · 2 Jun 2004 10:49:31 · Top

On Jun 2, 2004, at 12:29 AM, C W wrote:

> The foot change, that I was inquiring about, doesn't happen until bar
> 21 for the men. Some men start the advance on their left foot. That
> means if they wish they can be within inches of their partner. I had
> the pleasure to dance this dance at the Hogmanay Ball in Philadelphia.
> My partner was a young, dashing dancer who was fabulous and we had a
> blast dancing this together, flirting like teenagers! Again, if you
> are not comfortable with your partner, this closeness will be awkward
> and irritating. That's why I was asking how other dance groups feel
> about it.

And there's the rub. If you know your partner well this can be fun.

But, I know of some women dancers who will not ever dance this dance
because of rude behaviour they have experienced by men encroaching way
beyond the comfort zone.

Teachers should be very cautious about mentioning this variation.

martin

St. John's (Newfoundland)

How to dance John McAlpin properly

Message 38587 · Kent Smith · 2 Jun 2004 14:29:57 · Top

The discussion seems to have shifted to the changing of feet by the men after setting and before advancing, but I don't think anyone has given a "bullet proof description" of the first 8 bars. My source is The Galloway Album by Hugh Foss with a copyright of 1964, although the placement of the copyright statement makes it unclear whether it is referring to the entire album or to the first dance. This is a great collection of Foss dances. I noticed last night that it is really a compilation of 4 different Foss sets: The Galloway Hills Set, The Ballochmyle Set, The Greenwich Hill Set, and The Captain Whiteside Set. John McAlpin first appeared in the Captain Whiteside Set.

Focusing on just the handing in the first 8 bars:
1-2 "1st couple advance (one step), "take right hands, let go and retire (one step)"
3-4 "Then, giving left hands, cross over and turn left about."
5-6 "1st couple, taking right hands, lead down to 2nd place, centre of the dance"
[I like to advance forward for one and then lead down for one, but from
previous discussions on Strathspey, I know others disagree.]
7-8 "Turn by the left hand"

Kent
Connecticut, USA

From: "Eric Ferguson" <e.ferguson@antenna.nl>

> It happened some years ago in a dance class in Kuckucksnest. My kilt
> swung out, and the kiltpin caught on a "loopy" jacket of another
> dancer, so suddenly were were linked together. The set dissolved in
> laughter. Luckily, the kilt was not torn.

Kiltpin Link

Message 38610 · Martin Mulligan · 2 Jun 2004 23:15:42 · Top

On Jun 2, 2004, at 12:37 PM, Eric Ferguson wrote:
> It happened some years ago in a dance class in Kuckucksnest. My kilt
> swung out, and the kiltpin caught on a "loopy" jacket of another
> dancer, so suddenly were were linked together. The set dissolved in
> laughter. Luckily, the kilt was not torn.
>
> Has anyone else experienced such a "spontaneous link" ?

When I lived in the Boston area, a number of Scottish dancers went to a
period-type event (18th century, possibly Regency, but don't hold me to
that). All of the men went in Full Highland Dress. At that time, I
wore ruffles on the cuffs of my shirt. The women wore long dresses and
were adorned with jewelry.

I don't remember much about the dances except that one was a five-step
waltz that completely baffled me footwork-wise and the final dance of
the evening was "Sir Roger de Coverley". The figures are similar to
those in Haymakers and to an Irish Ceilidh dance I did many moons ago
whose name I don't remember.

The dance involves 1st man and 5th woman executing a number of figures.
It was in one of those moves, a turn by the right hand, that my cuff
ruffles became entangled with 5th woman's many bracelets so that when
we went to separate, we didn't! And in the panic to separate so that
the other two dancers could carry on with their figure, I believe that
my cuff ended up in the bracelets till the end of the dance

martin
st. john's (newfoundland)

Kiltpin Link

Message 38619 · info · 3 Jun 2004 07:55:46 · Top

I guess a lady in the Netherlands may sill be angry with me: about
ten years ago, at the end of a dance in Utrecht, my Kilt pin
(sword-type) got stuck in an ornament of a ladies' "folk skirt"
during the last verse of Auld Lang Syne. We both realized it when
everybody "turned out" of that crossed hands and her skirt was badly
torn - and my kilt had a new button hole.

But that's got nothing to do with why I didn't attend the annual
Utrecht dance functions the last two years... , but it was a reason
for me to prefer other types of kilt pins ever after.

Oliver Thinius

Eric Ferguson wrote, on 02.06.2004:

>This refers to a tale I told in a private message to Carla.
>
>It happened some years ago in a dance class in Kuckucksnest. My
>kilt
>swung out, and the kiltpin caught on a "loopy" jacket of another
>dancer, so suddenly were were linked together. The set dissolved in
>laughter. Luckily, the kilt was not torn.
>
>Has anyone else experienced such a "spontaneous link" ?
>
>Happy dancing, and don't get linked,
>
>Eric

Kiltpin Link

Message 38621 · EvaDreyer · 3 Jun 2004 09:51:56 · Top

I once witnessed a young dancer's kiltpin snagging the white, lacy ballgown
of his not-quite-so-young-anymore partner during the change of direction in
Royal Albert Country Dance, when second man dances down backwards facing the
other three dancers, then up with the two ladies by his side facing first man who
dances backwards. The kiltpin won - the wearer of the lacy gown was not amused
(she seldom is anyway) but a lot of people who witnessed it had to work hard
to suppress their giggles...

Eva Dreyer in
Essen, Germany

Atholl Reel from Let's All Dance

Message 38625 · Oberdan Otto · 3 Jun 2004 15:44:07 · Top

Hi,

I have a friend who needs the instructions for this dance by Sunday.

Apparently it can be done as a Reel or as a Strathspey. I am not
familiar with the dance or with Let's All Dance.

Private replies much appreciated.

Thanks, Oberdan.
--
184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, email: ootto@ootto.com

Atholl Reel from Let's All Dance

Message 38626 · Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov · 3 Jun 2004 16:10:24 · Top

I don't have my copy on hand at the moment, so I can't tell you how that
particular dance goes, but "Let's All Dance" is a collection of dances,
some of which were previously published elsewhere, which are ideal for
beginners, audience participation, or teaching specific formations. There
is also a second volume called "Let's All Dance, Too." Both are generally
available from TACBooks or from the San Francisco Branch, which published
them.

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
RSCDS Twin Cities Branch
Minnesota, USA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lara Friedman~Shedlov "Thwart not the librarian!"
ldfs@bigfoot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Oberdan Otto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a friend who needs the instructions for this dance by Sunday.
>
> Apparently it can be done as a Reel or as a Strathspey. I am not
> familiar with the dance or with Let's All Dance.
>
> Private replies much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Oberdan.
> --
> 184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
> Voice: (805) 389-0063, email: ootto@ootto.com

Atholl Reel from Let's All Dance

Message 38627 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 3 Jun 2004 17:34:31 · Top

Quoting Lara Friedman~Shedlov <laradf@si.umich.edu>:

> I don't have my copy on hand at the moment, so I can't tell you how that
> particular dance goes, but "Let's All Dance" is a collection of dances,
> some of which were previously published elsewhere, which are ideal for
> beginners, audience participation, or teaching specific formations. There
> is also a second volume called "Let's All Dance, Too." Both are generally
> available from TACBooks or from the San Francisco Branch, which published
> them.

I recommend both books highly to any SCD teacher who has beginners and unknowns
drop in to his/her class or who will be teaching at a weekend. these plus some
of Roy Goldring's books form a strong basis for teaching and making the lessons
fun.

Atholl Reel from Let's All Dance

Message 38628 · FrankIbb · 3 Jun 2004 17:50:18 · Top

The dances will be walked through and there will be cheat sheet.

However, here are the instructions:

Strathspey for 2 couples

1sr man & 2nd woman adv & ret; 1st woman & 2nd man repeat/

All dance 'around the square' – 2 bars per side/

1s followed by 2s lead down; 2s followed by 1s lead up/

Rights & lefts.

Frank.

Atholl Reel from Let's All Dance

Message 38629 · Richardal · 3 Jun 2004 18:43:38 · Top

Thanks Frank...see you this evening.
Rick Juzix

The dances will be walked through and there will be cheat sheet.

However, here are the instructions:

Strathspey for 2 couples

1sr man & 2nd woman adv & ret; 1st woman & 2nd man repeat/

All dance 'around the square' - 2 bars per side/

1s followed by 2s lead down; 2s followed by 1s lead up/

Rights & lefts.

Frank.

Atholl Reel from Let's All Dance

Message 38639 · Oberdan Otto · 5 Jun 2004 04:00:38 · Top

Thanks to all for instructions and offers of instructions!

I actually received a thorough private reply within 5 minutes of my
post! Then I had to rush off to work. Strathspey is so cool, and
people's willingness to help out in emergencies is heartwarming. :)))

I really must get those books. I HAVE heard of them before but forgot.

Thanks again, Oberdan.
--
184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, email: ootto@ootto.com

Kiltpin Link

Message 38646 · Volleyballjerry · 5 Jun 2004 21:47:21 · Top

With all of the discussion under this interesting title, it should now be
worthy of a dance so named ~ or at least a figure.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Kiltpin Link

Message 38647 · Pia Walker · 5 Jun 2004 21:59:34 · Top

Strahtspey - set and link for two - keep holding hands and go straight into
a two hand turn with the same person - opening up to a circle with opposite
persons - and who ever you did not turn before you turn two hands.......
somebody else keep going.

Pia
From: "Anselm Lingnau" <anselm@strathspey.org>

John McA is a popular dance hereabouts, and people seem to like it on the
whole. Mind you, we don't so far go for tummy contact in the advance and
retire the way some people in the USofA appear to --

How to dance John McAlpin properly

Message 38620 · Pia Walker · 3 Jun 2004 09:44:09 · Top

Some tummies are easier to reach than others :>) - what do you call it -
close encounter of a third kind? :>)

Pia
> Been doing this dance in the USA for over 40 years and have never seen or
> heard of "tummy contact". Would be severely frowned upon (or worse ) if
> anyone tried it.
>
> Harry
> Maryland USA
> -----
> From: "Anselm Lingnau" <anselm@strathspey.org>
>
> John McA is a popular dance hereabouts, and people seem to like it on the
> whole. Mind you, we don't so far go for tummy contact in the advance and
> retire the way some people in the USofA appear to --

Close encounters (was How to dance John McAlpin...)

Message 38623 · Colleen Putt · 3 Jun 2004 12:36:45 · Top

I remember once at St. Andrews having the rather odd sensation of dancing with a
rather rotund fellow who, all unaware (I think!), rested my left hand on his
tum during the allemande. I could hardly stifle the giggles!
Cheers,
Colleen
Halfax NS