strathspey Archive: Earl of Errol music

Earl of Errol music

Message 36987 · harvey · 11 Nov 2003 18:49:52 · Top

Hi Folks,

I am trying to track down sheet music for the Earl of Errol, the
National dance. I found multiple abc versions at John Chamber's great
site, but none were the tune I know for the dance (most were jigs, and
the dance is in 4).

Abc format or a link would be great, or any other format you can send
to me (offlist of course).

Thanks very much,
Terry

Earl of Errol music

Message 36996 · SMiskoe · 12 Nov 2003 01:57:32 · Top

The Earl of Errol that I am familiar with is titled Earl of Errol's Reel and
is from the McNabb set #3. It is a jig in the key of C and is a multi-bar
dance.
Cheers,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH

Earl of Errol music

Message 36999 · Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov · 12 Nov 2003 02:25:00 · Top

I could hum it for you if that would help ;-)

The note in the SDTA National Dance book for Earl of Errol says-

Music: 'The Earl of Errol' and/or 'The 23rd Countess of Errol' included
with the original dance description in FOUR STEP DANCES, published by
Paterson's Publications Ltd., 30-40 Wigmore Street, London W1. In 4/4
time (count 2 in the Bar) Tempo: 36 bars to the minute.

Hope that helps!

/ Lara

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lara Friedman~Shedlov "Thwart not the librarian!"
ldfs@bigfoot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Terry Harvey wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am trying to track down sheet music for the Earl of Errol, the
> National dance. I found multiple abc versions at John Chamber's great
> site, but none were the tune I know for the dance (most were jigs, and
> the dance is in 4).
>
> Abc format or a link would be great, or any other format you can send
> to me (offlist of course).
>
> Thanks very much,
> Terry

Earl of Errol music

Message 37006 · Richard Goss · 12 Nov 2003 06:59:39 · Top

Have you tried the Society publication by Isabel Cramb´s book on Scottish step dances containing the E of E?

Earl of Errol music

Message 37020 · Oliver Thinius · 12 Nov 2003 09:42:42 · Top

Hi Terry,

I can't help you out with sheet music I'm afraid, but if you have to
"rip" and write it out (or improvise) from a recording you might want
to listen to Muriel Johnstone's "Step Dances of Scotland" (RSCDS
cassette) - or maybe try to contact Muriel directly as she's been
playing a traditional Nan Main arrangment for the original tune, not
one of her own (although the follow-up tune has been one of her own
arrangements).

Regards,
Oliver Thinius
info@emodancers.de