strathspey Archive: Copyright

Copyright

Message 3687 · helmut · 23 Feb 1996 12:50:38 · Top

On Feb 22, 9:34pm, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
> Subject: Re: Copyright
> Ian Price <73707.523@compuserve.com> writes:
>
> > CORN RIGGS
> > 1-8;Cast
> > 9-16;Figure of 8
> > 17-24;Down the middle and up
> > 25-32;Poussette
> > 33-40; Sue me!
>
> This is exactly what I meant about the inaccurate cribs. If you give out
> this version to a random collection of dancers as part of a ball programme,
> you will find people doing at least five different kinds of a figure of
> eight during bars 9-16, such as: crossing down between the 2's to begin
> (the right way), up and down the dance, ... you get the idea.

Well, so much won't go wrong ...
Usually, people just need a reminder on a cribsheet and not a proper
description, but this has been discussed before.
Just to test with a recently devised Dance:

CANADIAN CORN RIGGS (2 couple dance)
1-8: 1C & 2C: Cast behind lines and back (1C lead)
9-16: Double figure of 8
17-24: 1C & 2C: Down the middle and up (1C lead)
25-32: Poussette

How many misunderstandings are you able to construct here, Anselm?

PS: The original tune for the above dance is Corn Riggs

Copyright

Message 3689 · Kent Smith · 23 Feb 1996 15:25:30 · Top

>Just to test with a recently devised Dance:
>
>CANADIAN CORN RIGGS (2 couple dance)
>1-8: 1C & 2C: Cast behind lines and back (1C lead)
>9-16: Double figure of 8
>17-24: 1C & 2C: Down the middle and up (1C lead)
>25-32: Poussette
>
>How many misunderstandings are you able to construct here, Anselm?
>
>helmut@MFO.DE

I don't have my notes at the office, but I believe this is not a recently
devised dance. While it is a rather obvious variation probably done
spontaneously many times by many bored 2nd couples, I believe it was first
published by Robert Campbell as "Riggs of Corn [or Rigs of Corn--can't
remember which], perhaps in his Glasgow Assembly book. I've never tried to
confirm but have always assumed that the name was a pun on Bobby Rigs, whose
challenge to Billy Jean King (do I have my tennis history correct?) was in
the news about the time Bob published the dance. At least it would make a
nice story.

On the other hand, there are enough details missing that this may not be
Rigs of Corn after all. What does the 2nd couple do after the lead down,
for instance?

This example illustrates another problem of people learning and passing on
dances from crib sheets or notes copied at a class: the original authors
and sources are lost and dances tend to become either "tradition"--the
complaint of Jimmy Shand about his music--or "new".

As to problems of interpretation, I would also wonder which way to turn at
the end of bar 4: outwards as is usually done, or inwards as is the style
for Corn Riggs?

Kent

Kent W. Smith <kent.smith@trincoll.edu>
/^_/#\_^\ Office of Records & Telephones:
|#||#||#| Institutional Research Work: 860-297-5195
|TRINITY| Trinity College Home: 860-561-1407
|COLLEGE| 300 Summit St. FAX: 860-297-2257
|#|(^)|#| Hartford, CT 06106 (Include my office)
""""="""" USA

Copyright

Message 3695 · Ian Price · 23 Feb 1996 19:04:02 · Top

>Ian Price has clearly stated American copyright law as he understands it.

Hell of an assumption. Copyright is INTERNATIONAL in nature. Ian Price is a Scot
living in Vancouver CANADA, that Great White North above the 49th parallel.

>Any others out there want to state it for their country ?
>The problems are obvious.

Then I must be really stupid. What problems?

>Pillings hold that not only their diagrams are copyright but that their
>notation is also. Lawyers acting for Pilling have recently written to
>Dunedin Dancers requesting that they stop supplying Pilling-style
>diagrams with their books of dances.

Then Dunedin must comply unless they dispute Pillings' assertion that the
notation is copyright. What is the copyright position with respect to the
Alphabet, and all the fonts available to depict it? Are all engineering symbols
in the ISO Standards copyright of ISO? Do I have to pay a royalty when I issue
an electrical engineering drawing showing an electrical circuit made up of
components depicted by symbols which other people can understand? If so, to
whom?

Sounds like a bluff to me, but as I intimated yesterday if it's THAT important
to them, Dunedin Dancers should not only drop the method but boycott it. SCD is
a HOBBY after all.

"First let's kill all the Lawyers" -WS

-2chter

Copyright; "Canadian Corn Riggs & Australian Ladies

Message 3707 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 25 Feb 1996 19:52:50 · Top

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Kent Smith wrote:

> >Just to test with a recently devised Dance:
> >
> >CANADIAN CORN RIGGS (2 couple dance)
> >1-8: 1C & 2C: Cast behind lines and back (1C lead)
> >9-16: Double figure of 8
> >17-24: 1C & 2C: Down the middle and up (1C lead)
> >25-32: Poussette
> >
> >How many misunderstandings are you able to construct here, Anselm?
> >
> >helmut@MFO.DE
> >

> I don't have my notes at the office, but I believe this is not a recently
> devised dance. While it is a rather obvious variation probably done
> spontaneously many times by many bored 2nd couples, I believe it was first
> published by Robert Campbell as "Riggs of Corn [or Rigs of Corn--can't
> remember which], perhaps in his Glasgow Assembly book. I've never tried to
> confirm but have always assumed that the name was a pun on Bobby Rigs, whose
> challenge to Billy Jean King (do I have my tennis history correct?) was in
> the news about the time Bob published the dance. At least it would make a
> nice story.
>
> On the other hand, there are enough details missing that this may not be
> Rigs of Corn after all. What does the 2nd couple do after the lead down,
> for instance?
>
> This example illustrates another problem of people learning and passing on
> dances from crib sheets or notes copied at a class: the original authors
> and sources are lost and dances tend to become either "tradition"--the
> complaint of Jimmy Shand about his music--or "new".
>
> As to problems of interpretation, I would also wonder which way to turn at
> the end of bar 4: outwards as is usually done, or inwards as is the style
> for Corn Riggs?
>
> Kent Smith <Kent.Smith@trincoll.edu>

I have in front of me as I type a copy of Glasgow Assembly, parts I & II
and other SCDs, published in 1976 long after Glasgow Assembly "I" was
originally published (it was out of print in the 1960s and early '70s).
danced.) Part II contains a dance called Riggs of Corn.

Re: Riggs I don't know if Bob Cambell was a tennis fan or not, but he
probably devised the dance long before the Riggs-King fiasco.

Here's how he describes the dance Riggs of Corn (and answers Kent's
questions after he read the abbreviated version):
bars 1-8 First couple, followed by the second couple who curve round
through top place to begin, cast off and dance down behind own lines;
then, turning inward, dance up behind own lines to place with second
couple leading. On the way up second couple dance to the top then curve
round into own place to face out. (Fig. not reproduced here.)
bars 9-16 First and second couples dance a double figure of eight.
Second couple again finish facing out. (Fig. not reproduced here.)
bars 17-24 First couple, with nearer hands joined and followed by
second couple who curve up through top place to begin, dance down the
middle and up again with first couple still in the lead. (Second couple
divide to let first couple through then rejoin hands and follow them up.)
bars 25-32 First and second couples Poussette.
Tune: Corn Rigs

I have reproduced his instructions for two reason: 1) It's a great dance
and I hate to realize that so many versions of it might be floating
around. If you haven't tried it, make a point of doing so. 2) This
exchange of notes one simple (!) dance is the best way I know of to
illustrate why people should make their own crib notes, teachers should
read the original before teaching a dance, and, yes, teachers should try
to keep up to date and know the latest version of the "original" dance.
(Is there a teacher out there who hasn't been burned? My downfall was
that the switch from the "three-point" poussette starting position to the
"parallel" starting position occurred just when I had moved to Vermont,
stopped dancing because of bursitis, children and job, and then
started teaching again after only four years away from good sources.)

Glasgow Assembly II also contains Australian Ladies, which Bob credits to
William Fergusson, who devised it. Program notes often say it is a Bob
Campbell dance. The other little booklet that causes authorship
(devisorship?) problems is James Cosh's 22 + 2. He did NOT devise all
the dances in that book and carefully states who did.

Having said watch your source listing, I would now like thank those who
do list source books in their program annoucements. I really appreciate it!

happy dancing and try Riggs of Corn,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage (priscilla.burrage@uvm.edu)
Vermont USA (pburrage@moose.uvm.edu)

Rigs of Corn, etc.

Message 3752 · Michael Hanson · 1 Mar 1996 23:11:54 · Top

I was interested to see this variation of Corn Riggs - it put me in
mind of a different variation I have seen. The teacher who
introduced it called it (in jest) "Corn Squeezin's" (I have no idea
of it's origins, possible history, etc.) Basically the second couple
does the reverse of what the 1st couple does for the first 24 bars.
i.e.:

1-8: C1 Cast behind lines while C2 Lead up the middle and back.
9-16: Double figure of 8
17-24: C1 Down the middle and back while C2 cast up behind lines and back.
25-32: Pousette

It flows very nicely.

Michael Hanson (Seattle, WA, USA)
michaelh@scn.rog

Rigs of Corn, etc.

Message 3763 · Colleen Putt · 4 Mar 1996 16:08:47 · Top

> I was interested to see this variation of Corn Riggs - it put me in
>mind of a different variation I have seen. The teacher who
>introduced it called it (in jest) "Corn Squeezin's" (I have no idea
>of it's origins, possible history, etc.) Basically the second couple
>does the reverse of what the 1st couple does for the first 24 bars.
>i.e.:
>
>1-8: C1 Cast behind lines while C2 Lead up the middle and back.
>9-16: Double figure of 8
>17-24: C1 Down the middle and back while C2 cast up behind lines and back.
>25-32: Pousette
>
>It flows very nicely.
>
> Michael Hanson (Seattle, WA, USA)
> michaelh@scn.rog

Has anyone seen the variation of the above called "Corn Rigs, Too". Maurice
Whitby taught it at the Moncton workshop a couple of years ago.
It goes as above, but 4s start with the second couple pattern described
above and continue to do so until they arrive at the top, at which time they
become first couple and do the dance as written. Not recommended for
beginner dancers, but loads of fun nevertheless!

Colleen Putt
Halifax, NS