strathspey Archive: Hurricane in Nova Scotia

Hurricane in Nova Scotia

Message 36626 · Lee Fuell · 1 Oct 2003 00:04:55 · Top

List,

Anyone had any contact from any of our dancing friends in Nova Scotia?
Sounds like Hurricane Juan hit Halifax pretty hard; here's hoping everyone
is coping well.

Lee

Hurricane in Nova Scotia [2]

Message 36635 · John Wood · 1 Oct 2003 13:51:15 · Top

Dear Dancers:

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Lee.

The damage in the Province is devastating and the loss of
literarily thousands and thousands of trees all mixed in with
power lines is making it extremely hazardous for power-line
crews to return service to normal.

Damage to buildings was sporadic -- some, though, were
destroyed. My wife and I were lucky with no house damage --
although during the height of the hurricane, our house was
rocking too and fro.

We were without power for 43 1/2 hours! That was our main
hardship. Having a SCD and an ECD group, because of power
outage, I had to cancel my regular Tuesday night ECD class
because the community centre where we dance was non-
functional with damage and no power.

Other dancers suffered damage to their properties -- but no one was hurt: miracle of miracles! The really sad part is that Fall coming all at once in one night took away so much of the greenery of the Province.

Thank you, again, for your interest.

Regards, John
Bedford, Nova Scotia

PS: Too many boat owners suffered severe losses from the
storm surge, as did ALL properties on any waterside.
Subject: Hurricane in Nova Scotia
List,
Anyone had any contact from any of our dancing friends in Nova Scotia?
Sounds like Hurricane Juan hit Halifax pretty hard; here's hoping everyone
is coping well.

Hurricane in Nova Scotia [2]

Message 36643 · Pia Walker · 1 Oct 2003 18:21:51 · Top

What damage nature does - it usually repairs

When we had the bad storms here in UK many years ago, the first areas to
regenerate was the ones everybody left alone - where man gave nature a
helping hand and tidied up, took a lot longer.

glad all are OK

Pia

> The damage in the Province is devastating and the loss of
> literarily thousands and thousands of trees all mixed in with
> power lines is making it extremely hazardous for power-line
> crews to return service to normal.

.The really sad part is that Fall coming all at once in one night took away
so much of the greenery of the Province.

> Thank you, again, for your interest.
>
> Regards, John
> Bedford, Nova Scotia
>
> PS: Too many boat owners suffered severe losses from the
> storm surge, as did ALL properties on any waterside.
> Subject: Hurricane in Nova Scotia
> List,
> Anyone had any contact from any of our dancing friends in Nova Scotia?
> Sounds like Hurricane Juan hit Halifax pretty hard; here's hoping
everyone
> is coping well.

Hurricane in Nova Scotia [3]

Message 36646 · John Wood · 1 Oct 2003 19:49:29 · Top

Hi, Pia:

Maybe. But I shall not be around to see the regrowth of
many trees that were between 100 and 150 years old!

Cheers, John
Subject: Re: Hurricane in Nova Scotia [2]

What damage nature does - it usually repairs

When we had the bad storms here in UK many years ago, the first areas to
regenerate was the ones everybody left alone - where man gave nature a
helping hand and tidied up, took a lot longer.

Tartan TV

Message 36645 · Pia Walker · 1 Oct 2003 18:34:12 · Top

Hi There

I just got information through regarding something called Tartan TV - don't
know much about it, but here is some of the blurb in the hope it might
interest you across the pond - who knows it might be a way of advertising
RSCDS :>)

Tartan TV

Tartan TV produces a topical weekly television magazine programme all about
Scotland. Each week viewers throughout the USA and Canada tune into this
unique new half hour programme about Scotland and each week the programme
showcases the best of what Scotland has to offer.

Pia

Tartan TV

Message 36654 · Alan Harrison · 2 Oct 2003 10:13:31 · Top

Hi All,
You can find out more at the website -
http://www.tartan.tv/ttv/upload/tplt_tplt_welcome2_.asp?page=2100002305

Best Regards,
Alan & Julie Harrison
RSCDS Leeds Branch
http://www.piper-alan.co.uk

Hurricane in Nova Scotia

Message 36644 · Colleen Putt · 1 Oct 2003 18:27:26 · Top

Thanks for thinking of us, Donald.
If that was a Category 1 storm, I hope I never experience anything stronger!
The eye of the storm came right up Halifax Harbour, with what I'm told was a
25-foot wall of water. The damage to the downtown area is extensive and we've
lost thousands of our beautiful elms and other trees. Power is still out in
many parts of the city and the military has been called upon to help clear
streets and unfoul downed power lines. Schools have been closed all week. I
can't speak for anyone else, but my neighbourhood still hasn't got power (I'm
at my union office as I write). I spoke briefly to Lydia Hedge yesterday and
she is also still without power, but has suffered no extensive damage.
We're trying to come up with a list of "wind" dances for tomorrow night's
class (if we have one, that is.). So far, I have "Whistling Wind," "Wind on
Loch Fine," and "The Wind That Shakes the Barley." Any ideas, list? <grin>
Cheers,
Colleen

> List,
>
> Anyone had any contact from any of our dancing friends in Nova Scotia?
> Sounds like Hurricane Juan hit Halifax pretty hard; here's hoping everyone
> is coping well.
>
> Lee

Hurricane in Nova Scotia

Message 36647 · Glen Sampson · 1 Oct 2003 19:53:08 · Top

Hi Colleen et al.:

I agree on not wanting to experinece anything greater if this was a
Category 1. I was in Halifax to see that damage and it is truly
amazing. Damage reached far into Nova Scotia because as Juan left
Halifax, he headed for Truro. We lost 20 trees in our yard but
fortunately none fell on the house. We got our power back last night
and telephones this morning. As I look out my office window, all I see
are downed and damaged trees. Maybe we need to devise a dance -
incorporate the wave, wind, lots of twisting and turning!! How can we
incorporate uprooting?! lol

Best regards,

Glen

> Thanks for thinking of us, Donald.
> If that was a Category 1 storm, I hope I never experience anything stronger!
> The eye of the storm came right up Halifax Harbour, with what I'm told was a
> 25-foot wall of water. The damage to the downtown area is extensive and we've
> lost thousands of our beautiful elms and other trees. Power is still out in
> many parts of the city and the military has been called upon to help clear
> streets and unfoul downed power lines. Schools have been closed all week. I
> can't speak for anyone else, but my neighbourhood still hasn't got power (I'm
> at my union office as I write). I spoke briefly to Lydia Hedge yesterday and
> she is also still without power, but has suffered no extensive damage.
> We're trying to come up with a list of "wind" dances for tomorrow night's
> class (if we have one, that is.). So far, I have "Whistling Wind," "Wind on
> Loch Fine," and "The Wind That Shakes the Barley." Any ideas, list?
> Cheers,
> Colleen
>
> > List,
> >
> > Anyone had any contact from any of our dancing friends in Nova Scotia?
> > Sounds like Hurricane Juan hit Halifax pretty hard; here's hoping everyone
> > is coping well.
> >
> > Lee

Hurricane in Nova Scotia

Message 36649 · Alan Twhigg · 1 Oct 2003 22:04:31 · Top

Hi Colleen,

Derek Haynes has one called Gaelforce Wind in his Carnforth Book v3 that is pretty good. Good to hear you and the other Halifax dancers survived the onslaught intact.

-Alan Twhigg.