strathspey Archive: The Celebration Strathspey (Book 43)

The Celebration Strathspey (Book 43)

Message 36348 · Rebecca Sager · 28 Aug 2003 23:18:39 · Top

Help - need to teach this tonight for upcoming program.
Bars 9-14 read:
2nd and 1st couples set and turn RH to face down;
1st and 2nd couples lead down the dance and, the men crossing below their
partners, turn them under their arms to finish facing up with RH joined.

This under-the-arm turn is usually done with nearer hands joined and
works fine. Can't figure out the move with RH joined (dancing alone in my
kitchen)

Any input from those who've done it already?

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

The Celebration Strathspey (Book 43)

Message 36351 · Volleyballjerry · 28 Aug 2003 23:47:36 · Top

Becky,

Too bad that your kitchen didn't provide you with another person with whom to
try this.

I've just enlisted Jerry to be the "woman," and it works fine (in our
hallway!). I think that when you have another person in tow it will for you as well.
Right in right hand throughout, and the man (the instructions say dancing
"below" partner) makes a wide "U" around the woman as she goes under the joined
arms and they both turn to face up. Anyway it seems to work smoothly with
two. This hallway escapade is my first attempt at what you described. I haven't
yet attempted teaching the dance. Our class does not resume till September
9th.

And now I see that it is almost three o'clock Pacific, that's almost six
Eastern, so don't even know whether you'll even have chance to see this ere you're
off to class!

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

The Celebration Strathspey (Book 43)

Message 36386 · Brian Charlton · 31 Aug 2003 01:21:26 · Top

G'Day,

Yes, Rob, that is the way this movement is generally danced. There is a
slight adjustment of the hands as the turn is completed. One tip is for the
lady to turn to face her partner as the turn is started and the man starts
to dance below her.

We have recently been dancing the Illawarra Strathspey, which has this
movement.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia