strathspey Archive: Outburst

Outburst

Message 36073 · Melbourne Briscoe · 12 Aug 2003 22:26:03 · Top

I apologize on behalf of the Washington DC area dancers for Helen Powell's
latest outburst (12 Aug 2003 05:00:06 -0000 (message 36061)). There is
little we can do about it locally at our events, except dance on and try and
ignore it, and we are sorry it continues to affect the always lively and
usually positive discussions on Strathspey.

Mel Briscoe

Outburst

Message 36078 · Helen P. · 13 Aug 2003 00:40:11 · Top

From: "Melbourne Briscoe" <mail@Briscoe.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 4:26 PM

> I apologize on behalf of the Washington DC area dancers

N.B. Melbourne Briscoe has no such authority to speak for us, the Washington
DC area dancers. He should not have made such a claim.

A few other Strathspey posters have repeatedly made extravagant claims that
Mel is a "great", etc., teacher. That's a pretty bold statement. I simply
mentioned incidents, which I witnessed first hand, as evidence that this was
an inflated claim.

It is not an "outburst" to give a straightforward description of these
events -- that were witnessed and decried by many of the local dancers, Full
Certs and regular dancers alike.

Yes, Mel has a lot of knowledge about SCD, and his personal technique is
generally good, but in other very important aspects of teaching, he
definitely needs some work. That's not just my opinion alone; it's a
frequent topic of discussion among local dancers.

All I'm saying is that this should be considered when we weigh his opinions
and ideas, especially since his recent article focusses on the exact areas
in which he is weakest.

Please note also that I recognize that the original posters certainly have
the right to their own opinions -- but so do I.

Believe me, I'd much rather posting glowing praise here, too. I hate
negativity. Perhaps Mel will learn something from his writing and the
discussion, and will earn such praise in the near future. I certainly hope
he will.

-- Helen (Md USA)