strathspey Archive: Great Strathspey Anniversary Challenge: Update

Great Strathspey Anniversary Challenge: Update

Message 35639 · Anselm Lingnau · 26 Jun 2003 00:15:59 · Top

Many of the devisers and testing volunteers may have been wondering
what became of the Great Strathspey Anniversary Challenge. I ought to
have sent the dances out for review a LONG time ago but I've been
utterly swamped with real work (not to mention trifles like going off to
France for a wonderful week of dancing and good company -- thanks Martin!).

The current status is this: I have received a whole lot of submissions
and after weeding out the ones that had obviously nothing to do with
the prescribed theme we are just short of 20 dances to try. The
submissions have been suitably anonymized and put into RSCDS standard
terminology (where appropriate) and are now sitting on my laptop's hard
disk ready to be assigned to the volunteers and mailed out. I still
need to finish the anonymized music, though.

This implies two things: First, the schedule for the project has
slipped considerably, and it's my fault -- but I'm not about to lose
sleep over this, since this is supposed to be fun, and I have lots of
other matters to take care of which merit insomnia to a far greater
extent. In any case there will be a suitable extension of the review
period to allow for class summer breaks and so on.

Second, there is still room for additional volunteers in the review
process. So if you think you would have liked to volunteer but missed
the boat, this is your last chance to be part of the first
group-devised peer-reviewed dance book publication project on the
Internet -- and with nearly 20 dances to test-drive, I think we could
use some extra help! I'll be away on yet another business trip for most
of next week, so if I get your e-mail by next Friday you're in.

I'll be sending out the dances during the week after that, with an
expected return date of, say, 30 September, so the book may still hit
the shelves in time for Christmas :^)

Anselm

Great Strathspey Anniversary Challenge: Update

Message 35647 · Pia Walker · 26 Jun 2003 14:50:35 · Top

What about having a dance/walk/evaluation in both St Andrews fortnights?

Pia
> Many of the devisers and testing volunteers may have been wondering
> what became of the Great Strathspey Anniversary Challenge. I ought to
> have sent the dances out for review a LONG time ago but I've been
> utterly swamped with real work (not to mention trifles like going off to
> France for a wonderful week of dancing and good company -- thanks
Martin!).

> The current status is this: I have received a whole lot of submissions
> and after weeding out the ones that had obviously nothing to do with
> the prescribed theme we are just short of 20 dances to try. The
> submissions have been suitably anonymized and put into RSCDS standard
> terminology (where appropriate) and are now sitting on my laptop's hard
> disk ready to be assigned to the volunteers and mailed out. I still
> need to finish the anonymized music, though.
>
> This implies two things: First, the schedule for the project has
> slipped considerably, and it's my fault -- but I'm not about to lose
> sleep over this, since this is supposed to be fun, and I have lots of
> other matters to take care of which merit insomnia to a far greater
> extent. In any case there will be a suitable extension of the review
> period to allow for class summer breaks and so on.
>
> Second, there is still room for additional volunteers in the review
> process. So if you think you would have liked to volunteer but missed
> the boat, this is your last chance to be part of the first
> group-devised peer-reviewed dance book publication project on the
> Internet -- and with nearly 20 dances to test-drive, I think we could
> use some extra help! I'll be away on yet another business trip for most
> of next week, so if I get your e-mail by next Friday you're in.
>
> I'll be sending out the dances during the week after that, with an
> expected return date of, say, 30 September, so the book may still hit
> the shelves in time for Christmas :^)
>
> Anselm
> --
maintainer
> Send mail to <strathspey-help@strathspey.org> for information about the
list
> Check out http://www.strathspey.org for lots of interesting stuff about
SCD!

Great Strathspey Anniversary Challenge: Update

Message 35661 · Jan Wilson · 28 Jun 2003 07:25:45 · Top

I'm not sure if anyone from Oz has volunteered to review the dances but my
group would be very happy to participate in this. We regularly have 2
4-couple sets at class - sometimes more. The standard varies considerably
but they are all very keen and are, IMHO, a great group of people and they
would really enjoy being a part of this venture.

Jan Wilson

Alexandria, Sydney
Australia