strathspey Archive: Living History

Living History

Message 35627 · Fyreladdie · 25 Jun 2003 16:25:15 · Top

SCD is more than a tradition to me. It is a living history, evolving,
changing and hopefully getting better. Much had been said as to what a
"traditional" this or that should sound like. But music is a subjective thing, each
person having their opinion. If we look back into traditional styles and tempos of
Scottish music, they would be undancable by most of us. It has all evolved to
provide us with something more dancer friendly.
There are tunes I may find boring or styles that are too choppy, vague or
uncertain. But they all have a place in this "living history" we call SCD.
Modern musicians and devisers have enriched our dance experience, traditional or
otherwise. I rather like it all, the old and new together. So, I have to say
that tradition does not stop in any particular century but grows into
something greater. Happy dancing all.

Bob Mc Murtry
San Francisco Branch
Felton, California

Living History

Message 35628 · Wouter Joubert · 25 Jun 2003 16:39:33 · Top

I couldn't have said it any better!

Wouter Joubert
RSCDS Pretoria Branch
Suid-Afrika

[...]

Message 35630 · K MacGregor · 25 Jun 2003 18:46:39 · Top

With “living history,” Bob Mc Murtry beautifully addresses the frequently
argued tradition question. Music, dance, and tradition itself are part of
the “folk process.” They are all evolutionary; each generation of musicians
and dancers keeps, changes, or discards portions of what is given to them,
and they create new material to add to the mix.
Traditions are what is left after a lengthy winnowing process. In the past,
there were many more dances devised than survive today. Likewise, most of
today’s new dances will disappear in a few years or decades. Those that
remain in fifty years will be hotly defended as part of the tradition of
SDC. Remember, even The Reel of the Fifty-First Division was a novelty once.

Kevin MacGregor
Sacramento Branch

Living History

Message 35633 · SMiskoe · 25 Jun 2003 22:28:32 · Top

I once heard a musician say that tradition is what we began doing 15 years
ago.
Sylvia Miskoe

Living History

Message 35634 · Mike Briggs · 25 Jun 2003 22:48:33 · Top

And starting tomorrow there will be a tradition that we play it this
way, not that way.

Mike
Norma Briggs Voice 608 835 0914
Michael J Briggs Fax 608 835 0924
BRIGGS LAW OFFICE
1519 Storytown Road Oregon WI 53575-2521 USA
www.briggslawoffice.com

Living History

Message 35646 · Pia Walker · 26 Jun 2003 14:48:59 · Top

Well tradition is a respect for the old ways, but interpreted in modern
ways - However much we learn about "the olden ways", we cannot help
interpret it with 21st century's eyes, and therefore put a modern slant to
it. Everytime something is repeated, it is changed, therefore tradition
can never be static.

Pia
> And starting tomorrow there will be a tradition that we play it this
> way, not that way.
>
> Mike
> --
> Norma Briggs Voice 608 835 0914
> Michael J Briggs Fax 608 835 0924
> BRIGGS LAW OFFICE
> 1519 Storytown Road Oregon WI 53575-2521 USA
> www.briggslawoffice.com

Living History

Message 35636 · John Chambers · 25 Jun 2003 23:33:56 · Top

Sylvia Miskoe remarks:
| I once heard a musician say that tradition is what we began doing 15 years
| ago.

Heh. I've always like the definition that tradition means
whatever people were doing when I first got involved.

This sorta goes along with the articles about the big new
folk revival that I've read every year or two for decades.
They are written by a reporter who just stumbled onto
something that had been happening for a long time before
that, of course.

Bert Murray

Message 35649 · Tappan · 26 Jun 2003 19:05:56 · Top

Hi folks,

I've been lurking on this list for ages, but thought you all might
want to know that the wonderful fiddler and composer Bert Murray of
Aberdeen passed away on Monday. I used his tunes in many dance sets,
and was fortunate to have him as friend and mentor, and I wasn't
alone. Bert encouraged many musicians and shared his music generously
with so many people! He connected with the young folks especially,
but I remember reports of him playing the fiddle "for the old folks"
- some younger than he was - in the hospital while he was a patient
there himself. The world has lost a truly wonderful, good and very
talented person.

Jan Tappan

Bert Murray

Message 35651 · SMiskoe · 27 Jun 2003 01:14:54 · Top

Hi Jan -
Just yesterday I was thinking of Bert and wondering how he was. I knew he
had been in hospital and quite poorly for some time. Now I know why I thought
of him.
Hope all is well with you. Will you be at the Games this year? In their new
location?
Cheers,
Sylvia