strathspey Archive: Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish Dance Band)

Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish Dance Band)

Message 35546 · Jim Healy · 14 Jun 2003 01:41:29 · Top

Greetings!

Coincidence that Ian should bring this up as I was talking to Colin Dewar
about it last night. He is very chuffed at being nominated. What isn't
apparent from the website that I could see is that the nomination is in
respect of his CD Special Requests Vol. 5 which is going very well -
rightly, IMO.

More importantly, Colin had planned to stop the series at Vol. 5 but is
being encouraged to continue and is looking for suggestions for a Special
Requests 6. What he is looking for is good, well known dances that are not
well catered for in existing recordings. One different suggestion he has had
is a set suitable for the 'medley' sometimes found on social programmes
around these parts of Wind on Loch Fyne straight into Macpherson's Jig. I
have suggested that a good 'dem set' of say 3 x 32 Jig; 2 x 32 Strathspey
and 3 x 32 Reel to good strong traditional tunes not particularly associated
with any dance would be a useful addition to any dance group's armoury.

I am sure the Strathspey list can come up with interesting suggestions and I
will be happy to pass them on to Colin although I cannot promise that
anything will come of it.

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish Dance Band)

Message 35558 · Lee Fuell · 15 Jun 2003 20:43:07 · Top

Jim,

For those of us on the west side of the Atlantic, could you please translate
"chuffed"? From the context, I would say it means "pleased," but don't want to
over-assume and misinterpret!

Thanks,

Lee

Send reply to: strathspey@strathspey.org
From: "Jim Healy" <jimhealy@hotmail.com>
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Subject: Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish Dance
Band)
Date sent: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:41:37 +0000

> Greetings!
>
> Coincidence that Ian should bring this up as I was talking to Colin
> Dewar about it last night. He is very chuffed at being nominated. What
> isn't apparent from the website that I could see is that the
> nomination is in respect of his CD Special Requests Vol. 5 which is
> going very well - rightly, IMO.

<snip>

> Jim Healy
> Perth, Scotland

> Hotmail messages direct to your mobile phone
> http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile

Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish Dance Band)

Message 35560 · Jim Healy · 15 Jun 2003 23:06:10 · Top

Lee,

My Concise Oxford Dictionary is extremely concise with a one word entry
"Pleased". Your guess was therefore correct. Even after years of working
with many North Americans, I am still sometimes amazed
at our ability to confuse each other.

Jim

Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish Dance Band)

Message 35561 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 15 Jun 2003 23:18:02 · Top

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Jim Healy wrote:

> My Concise Oxford Dictionary is extremely concise with a one word entry
> "Pleased". Your guess was therefore correct. Even after years of working
> with many North Americans, I am still sometimes amazed
> at our ability to confuse each other.

And in my American dictionary "pleased" is also given as the first
meaning, but the second meaning is disgruntled, displeased, unhappy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish Dance Band)

Message 35569 · Bryan McAlister · 16 Jun 2003 17:53:24 · Top

In article <Pine.A41.4.55.0306151714400.100718@gnu.uvm.edu>, Priscilla
M. Burrage <pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu> writes
>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Jim Healy wrote:
>
>> My Concise Oxford Dictionary is extremely concise with a one word entry
>> "Pleased". Your guess was therefore correct. Even after years of working
>> with many North Americans, I am still sometimes amazed
>> at our ability to confuse each other.
>
>And in my American dictionary "pleased" is also given as the first
>meaning, but the second meaning is disgruntled, displeased, unhappy.
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
>(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

I believe there is a difference in meaning between east and west of
Scotland. Dont know which is which though.
--
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk

Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish Dance Band)

Message 35562 · Lee Fuell · 16 Jun 2003 00:19:44 · Top

Thanks, Jim. What was it Churchill said - two peoples separated by a common
language, or some such? Although how common the languages remain is
somewhat debatable. I consider myself completely fluent in American, passably
fluent in English, and totally lost in lowland Scots.

Lee (who's current favorite bit of British slang is "gobsmacked.")

Send reply to: strathspey@strathspey.org
From: "Jim Healy" <jimhealy@hotmail.com>
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Subject: Re: Special Requests (was Vote for the Best Scottish