strathspey Archive: DANCE: The Inside-oot Fish Eater

DANCE: The Inside-oot Fish Eater

Message 35529 · Ian Brockbank · 12 Jun 2003 13:09:16 · Top

HI All,

Here's a dance I tried with Dunedin last night. It was a shambles,
partly because I tried it too late in the evening and didn't really have
time to teach it properly, and partly because not enough people were
familiar with set and rotate, but I think the dance itself is fine.
Anyway, let me know what you think if you try it.

The Inside-oot Fish Eater 4x32R Ian Brockbank
1-8 1s and 2s, and 3s and 4s dance set and rotate to change places:
1-2 All set
3-4 All cast one place clockwise round the small square of
four
5-6 All change places RH with partners on the side
7-8 All chase one further place clockwise around the small
square.
9-16 All dances reels of four on the sides. 1s and 4s don't finish
the reel but instead curve in on the last bar to join LH in the
center and RH with corners in a St. Andrews cross formation.
17-24 1s and 4s dance a double spoke:
17-18 set balancing with corner and set advancing (ACW) to
join
RH with next corner (still LH joined in wheel).
19-24 Repeat three more times to return to position at start
of movement.
25-28 Set to corners (i.e. 4M to 2M, 4L to 2L, 1M to 3M, 1L to 2L)
and turn them with the hand which takes the dancing couples
out through the ends (RH for 4L/2L and 1M/3M, LH for 4M/2M
and 1L/3L).
29-32 4s and 1s turn or spin RH.

Tune: The Inside-oot Fish Eater (Peter Wood)

The Inside-oot Fish Eater was written by Peter Wood for Lindsay Weir,
who sometimes dances with Dunedin Dancers. Lindsay used to play
accordion with Peter, and apparently has a distinctive way of eating a
fish supper. So Peter wrote this tune to celebrate it.

This dance grew out of another dance (yet to be released) - I realised
that with set and rotate at the start of the dance, the other dance
would be too hectic and energetic to be fun, so I simplified the start
in order to give the dancing couples from the previous time through 8
bars rest before they have to wake up again. However, I liked the set
and rotate into reels of four, so I had to write a dance which used
this.

Ian Brockbank
Applications Software Engineer
e: ian.brockbank@wolfsonmicro.com
t: +44 131 272 7076
f: +44 131 272 7001

DANCE: The Inside-oot Fish Eater

Message 35531 · Volleyballjerry · 13 Jun 2003 03:35:41 · Top

Looks interesting, Ian...I've printed it, and we'll have to give it a try.

Incidentally, the San Gabriel Valley (Southern California) Branch Teachers'
Committee just last Sunday adopted one of your other dances, The Gloomy Winter,
onto our annual list of ~50 dances, where it typically will remain for a term
of three years.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

DANCE: The Inside-oot Fish Eater

Message 35533 · Ian Brockbank · 13 Jun 2003 10:23:44 · Top

Hi Robb,

> Looks interesting, Ian...I've printed it, and we'll have to give it
> a try.

let me know how you get on - make sure people are sufficiently happy
with set and rotate before you start, because if they're confused at
the end of that it's difficult to get back into it (at least, that's
what Dunedin found).

> Incidentally, the San Gabriel Valley (Southern California) Branch
> Teachers' Committee just last Sunday adopted one of your other dances,
> The Gloomy Winter, onto our annual list of ~50 dances, where it
> typically will remain for a term of three years.

Interesting. I personally prefer "Gloomy Winter's Noo Awa", which is
basically the same dance, but with the 8 bars which don't work so well
(9-16) replaced with teapots, lady up man down to start.

http://www.scottishdance.net/dances/GloomyWintersNooAwa.html

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Brockbank
Applications Software Engineer
e: ian.brockbank@wolfsonmicro.com
t: +44 131 272 7076
f: +44 131 272 7001

DANCE: The Inside-oot Fish Eater

Message 35535 · Alan Paterson · 13 Jun 2003 10:54:17 · Top

Ian Brockbank wrote:

> Hi Robb,
>
> > Looks interesting, Ian...I've printed it, and we'll have to give it
> > a try.
>
> let me know how you get on - make sure people are sufficiently happy
> with set and rotate before you start, because if they're confused at
> the end of that it's difficult to get back into it (at least, that's
> what Dunedin found).
>
> > Incidentally, the San Gabriel Valley (Southern California) Branch
> > Teachers' Committee just last Sunday adopted one of your other dances,
> > The Gloomy Winter, onto our annual list of ~50 dances, where it
> > typically will remain for a term of three years.
>
> Interesting. I personally prefer "Gloomy Winter's Noo Awa", which is
> basically the same dance, but with the 8 bars which don't work so well
> (9-16) replaced with teapots, lady up man down to start.
>
> http://www.scottishdance.net/dances/GloomyWintersNooAwa.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
>
> Ian Brockbank

Hmm. Looks like Mr. Drewry will have to watch out for Mr. Brockbank.

Another of Ian's dances (Nifty Shiftin') has become highly popular here in
Switzerland.

(It also has the Double Spoke of "Fish Eater")

Alan