strathspey Archive: Muirland Willie

Muirland Willie

Message 35480 · Iain Boyd · 7 Jun 2003 10:42:20 · Top

Dear all

Your comments on what the second couple do in Muirland
Willie during bars 17-24.

My Book 19 says:
First couple lead up to top, set to each other twice.
Second and third couples move down.
This is followed by the poussette on bars 25-32.

The Manual says:
1st couple lead up to the top, set to each other
twice, 2nd couple joining them on bars 23-24 as both
couples advance for the poussette.

Taught recently:
1st couple lead up to the top, 1st and 2nd couples
joining hands on the side set twice, both couples
advancing on the second set for the poussette.

Thanks
Margaret Bailey

15 Spinnaker Drive
Whitby, Porirua 6006
New Zealand
Phone/Fax: 64 04 234-8298
Email: baileym@paradise.net.nz

Muirland Willie

Message 35482 · Alan Paterson · 7 Jun 2003 11:19:55 · Top

Iain Boyd wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Your comments on what the second couple do in Muirland
> Willie during bars 17-24.
>
> My Book 19 says:
> First couple lead up to top, set to each other twice.
> Second and third couples move down.
> This is followed by the poussette on bars 25-32.
>
> The Manual says:
> 1st couple lead up to the top, set to each other
> twice, 2nd couple joining them on bars 23-24 as both
> couples advance for the poussette.
>
> Taught recently:
> 1st couple lead up to the top, 1st and 2nd couples
> joining hands on the side set twice, both couples
> advancing on the second set for the poussette.
>
> Thanks
> Margaret Bailey

My opinion:

The 2nd couple should do whatever they feel like doing. It has no effect on
any others in the set (although the 1st couple might want to keep an eye
open to welcome them in)

And, of course, 2nd time through the 3rd couple will come in as well for a 3
couple poussette ;-)

Alan

Muirland Willie

Message 35483 · Eddy West · 7 Jun 2003 13:21:28 · Top

1. Yes 2nd couples actions before the poussette do not affect the dance, however
in view of the uncertainty they should not feel offended if 1st couple do not
take hands.
2. All right I'll bite "of course 3rd couple will join in the poussette" what
and spoil the fun of starting again from the bottom? again surely a matter of
taste and one that does affect the other dancers so probably not a good idea
unless it is the norm in your area.

Eddy West

Alan Paterson wrote:

> Iain Boyd wrote:
>
> > Dear all
> >
> > Your comments on what the second couple do in Muirland
> > Willie during bars 17-24.
> >
> > My Book 19 says:
> > First couple lead up to top, set to each other twice.
> > Second and third couples move down.
> > This is followed by the poussette on bars 25-32.
> >
> > The Manual says:
> > 1st couple lead up to the top, set to each other
> > twice, 2nd couple joining them on bars 23-24 as both
> > couples advance for the poussette.
> >
> > Taught recently:
> > 1st couple lead up to the top, 1st and 2nd couples
> > joining hands on the side set twice, both couples
> > advancing on the second set for the poussette.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Margaret Bailey
>
> My opinion:
>
> The 2nd couple should do whatever they feel like doing. It has no effect on
> any others in the set (although the 1st couple might want to keep an eye
> open to welcome them in)
>
> And, of course, 2nd time through the 3rd couple will come in as well for a 3
> couple poussette ;-)
>
> Alan

Muirland Willie

Message 35486 · Volleyballjerry · 7 Jun 2003 18:14:30 · Top

I believe that the dance was originally devised / published with the intent
that the first-couple setting be solo and the second-couple entrance into the
poussette be the usual on the preceding bar only. I have long been aware and
have also taught that a custom has developed with the second couple's taking
hands with the first and joining in on the second setting; I was not aware
(simply had not had occasion to read) that this custom has now been adopted in the
Manual. This then brings up also the foot question for the men. I have
generally suggested (with no basis other than my own preference) that although the
first man sets twice as usual and must "change feet" for the poussette, the
second man might as well begin the second setting with the left foot.

I have never heard of nor seen the second couple setting both times. I also
have not heard of the three-couple poussette idea for second time through, but
I like it, if of course (as has already been stated) the whole set is aware
of it.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA