strathspey Archive: News News

News News

Message 34984 · Ron Taylor · 21 Apr 2003 12:16:02 · Top

My thanks to Andrew Smith for the reply to my mail.

I am wondering if Bristol Branch has a younger membership than that of my Branch (Wirral), only a small perecentage
have computers and of those I think that some may not be connected to the internet. It is interesting to see the variation in Branch structure.

Ron Taylor
RON29@blueyonder.co.uk

News News

Message 34995 · Brian Charlton · 23 Apr 2003 00:35:46 · Top

G'Day,

It is interesting to note that many more people are getting computers and
using the internet - even the 'grey-heads'. I understand that the largest
growth area for this is now in the 'Seniors' age group.

For last year's Australian Winter School, more that 50% of the 200 attendees
were contacted with follow-up information, etc, by email, and all but one of
the teachers. This saved us a significant amount of time, paper, postage,
etc in contacting everyone.

I therefore applaud the initiative of the RSCDS (and Ian Brockbank, etc) for
trying to keep as many people informed as possible in the most efficient and
cost-effective way. Now, if we could only get the RSCDS to send pdf copies
to Branch Secretaries of the Newsbriefs, etc even more postage and timne
could be saved.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia.

My thanks to Andrew Smith for the reply to my mail.

I am wondering if Bristol Branch has a younger membership than that of my
Branch (Wirral), only a small perecentage
have computers and of those I think that some may not be connected to the
internet. It is interesting to see the variation in Branch structure.

Ron Taylor
RON29@blueyonder.co.uk

News News

Message 34996 · Mike Mudrey · 23 Apr 2003 05:39:52 · Top

At 08:34 AM 4/23/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>G'Day,
>
>It is interesting to note that many more people are getting computers and
>using the internet - even the 'grey-heads'. I understand that the largest
>growth area for this is now in the 'Seniors' age group.

I do not recall the figures for the Madison Wisconsin affiliated group, but
I believe all but one member has email. In our local English Country dance
group, all have email.

Remember, however, that postage will be forwarded, email may not be.

So, for the first communication, I recommend mail with respondents offered
mail or email for subsequent communication.

In my professional societies, that is what we do.

Mike

M.G. Mudrey
106 Ravine Road
Mount Horeb, WI 53572

mgmudrey@mhtc.net
608-437-3701

News News

Message 34997 · Andrew Smith · 23 Apr 2003 07:02:14 · Top

Ron,
Some further information. The average age is my best guess, with help from a
female friend ( I think the ladies are generally better at that).
[For background, the Bristol Branch also runs 3 classes a week ("New
dancers" and Improvers/Technique" Autumn and Spring terms only,
"Intermediate/Advanced - 3 terms) and holds 3 dances, a Burns' Supper &
Dance and a Day School each year. The principal class averages 40+ each
week, with generally a reasonable balance of the sexes, and the average age
is probably about 50.]
The members were told that it was my own initiative, so that I might work
from a better-informed basis than mere supposition.
Andrew,
Bristol, UK.

From: "Ian Brockbank" <ian@scottishdance.net>
To: <strathspey@strathspey.org>
Date sent: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:59:00 +0100

> So who's going to manage it? Handle the volume of updates? Is it
> sufficiently valuable to hire another staff member at HQ to handle
> the work/admin? (I don't think there's much slack at the moment...)
>
> Ian

Can't speak for everyone, but I'd pay an extra US $5.00 or so a year for
membership if the funds went to this effort (staff, tools, etc) AND the RSCDS would
actually USE the data to make some much-needed improvements.

Lee
(Who doesn't feel the RSCDS management is as in touch with its individual
members as it should be...)

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35045 · Lee Fuell · 24 Apr 2003 01:19:32 · Top

Hi, Ron

Re:

From: ron.mackey@mail.btinternet.com

> > Lee
> > (Who doesn't feel the RSCDS management is as in touch with its individual
> > members as it should be...)

<snip>

> It seems to me that the next while should be set aside for
> evaluation and fine tuning before taking the next step - whatever
> that might be ???

Exactly what I'm advocating, my friend. Part of the "evaluation and fine tuning"
should be measurement of the organizational climate within the RSCDS, an
excellent means of getting management in better touch with its membership. My
organization (the Department of the Air Force) does this regularly, and although we
don't always see changes in response to our inputs, we do so often enough that I
for one have confidence that our senior leadership is at least honest about trying.
It's important that the membership at least perceive the RSCDS is even interested
in feedback from the rank and file.

Lee

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35046 · Fiona Grant · 24 Apr 2003 20:32:03 · Top

Ron wrote:
"On the subject of who does the work it seems one of the drawbacks of
'Modern Technology' that it generates so many possibilities in producing
"relevant" information which might be of some use that the basic function of
the organisation could be diverted or neglected. It seems to me as an
'observer' that in the past, before the M.T., the focus was
more on the job to hand."

Dear Ron
I'm curious: What is the "basic function of the organisation" you refer to?
What is "the job in hand"?

Fiona
Bristol

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35079 · ron.mackey · 25 Apr 2003 23:54:22 · Top

> Dear Ron
> I'm curious: What is the "basic function of the organisation" you refer to?
> What is "the job in hand"?
>
> Fiona

Hi, Fiona
The basic function is as set out in the Objects of the Society a)
to e) and are reprinted in every edition of The Reel. If you don't
subscribe, it's a good read!
In my view the job in hand at the moment
is to consolidate the progress of reform of the society to date.
When (and only when) we are sure we are on the right track and
things are working well we can make further advances.
One of the problems the society faces is that people with
professional experience in large organizations who have staff
capacity to spare for any job that comes along do not understand how
the hardworking professional tip of our mainly amateur iceberg do not
have spare capacity to investigate all the new ideas thought up in
the body of the kirk during the sermon. :)

Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
39, Grove Park Road,
Mottingham
London SE9 4NS

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35082 · Stewart Cunningham · 26 Apr 2003 03:46:49 · Top

Ron states:
"One of the problems the society faces is that people with professional experience in
large organizations who have staff capacity to spare for any job that comes along do
not understand how the hardworking professional tip of our mainly amateur iceberg do
not have spare capacity to investigate all the new ideas thought up in the body of
the kirk during the sermon."

That is an opinion which I respect. However, I suspect that many "people with
professional experience" realize this problem only too well but the load could be
spread around in various different ways or a plan of action published that might give
some indication of when items will be dealt with.
Stewart

ron.mackey@mail.btinternet.com wrote:

> > Dear Ron
> > I'm curious: What is the "basic function of the organisation" you refer to?
> > What is "the job in hand"?
> >
> > Fiona
>
> Hi, Fiona
> The basic function is as set out in the Objects of the Society a)
> to e) and are reprinted in every edition of The Reel. If you don't
> subscribe, it's a good read!
> In my view the job in hand at the moment
> is to consolidate the progress of reform of the society to date.
> When (and only when) we are sure we are on the right track and
> things are working well we can make further advances.
> One of the problems the society faces is that people with
> professional experience in large organizations who have staff
> capacity to spare for any job that comes along do not understand how
> the hardworking professional tip of our mainly amateur iceberg do not
> have spare capacity to investigate all the new ideas thought up in
> the body of the kirk during the sermon. :)
>
> Happy Dancing
> Cheers :)
> Ron
>
> Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
> 39, Grove Park Road,
> Mottingham
> London SE9 4NS

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35063 · redrose_solutions · 25 Apr 2003 10:27:33 · Top

I'm not sure whether you're saying that you think the membership does not
perceive the RSCDS is interested in feedback. As a member of the Management
Board I am certainly interested in feedback or suggestions from the membership
(and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Susi

Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

>It's important that the membership at least perceive the RSCDS is even
interested

>in feedback from the rank and file.
>
>Lee

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35005 · redrose_solutions · 23 Apr 2003 17:10:27 · Top

Yes

Susi

Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

>Should there be a more direct link between HQ and individual members than
>at
>present?
>
>Fiona
>Bristol
>UK

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35006 · Stella Fogg · 23 Apr 2003 17:24:02 · Top

I'm with Susi..........Yes!

if you knew Susi like I know Susi.......
Sorry Susi, couldn't resist.

Stella
Richmond, VA USA

)Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

>Should there be a more direct link between HQ and individual members than
>at
>present?
>
>Fiona
>Bristol
>UK

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35007 · redrose_solutions · 23 Apr 2003 17:51:52 · Top

Thank you Stella - I guess ...

Susi

If you knew Susi

Message 35014 · hways · 23 Apr 2003 22:31:10 · Top

No need to guess. A bit further along we sing "there's none so classy as
this fair lassie".

Harry

>if you knew Susi like I know Susi.......
>Sorry Susi, couldn't resist.
>
>Stella
>Richmond, VA USA
>

>)Vienna, Austria
>susi@redrose.co.at
>
>>Should there be a more direct link between HQ and individual members than
>>at
>>present?
>>
>>Fiona
>>Bristol
>>UK

If you knew Susi

Message 35026 · Pia Walker · 24 Apr 2003 09:32:09 · Top

Susi!
Did you know you had a fan club :>)

Pia
> No need to guess. A bit further along we sing "there's none so classy as
> this fair lassie".
>
> Harry

If you knew Susi

Message 35055 · shirley butterfield · 25 Apr 2003 04:33:09 · Top

And a world wide one what's more! (Thinking about your questions Susi and
will respond)
Shirley

>> No need to guess. A bit further along we sing "there's none so classy as
>> this fair lassie".
>>
>> Harry

If you knew Susi

Message 35078 · redrose_solutions · 25 Apr 2003 22:41:46 · Top

just don't know what to say ...

Susi

Message 35060 · Helen P. · 25 Apr 2003 10:20:26 · Top

Those of you who haven't worked in Survey Research would be appalled at how
much effort, money, and "paper"work are required by even a small survey.
Also, response rates are usually rather low (30 percent fairly often) unless
even more effort and expense are applied. Getting an 80 percent response
rate even after three full attempts is considered quite good.

I'd rather have HQ spending more time on its job, unless a compelling reason
can be shown to justify such an costly activity.

However, simply knowing the *change* in numbers of adult and youth dancers
between any two points in time would tell quite a lot about the vitality and
future potential of any branch.

If sex and approximate age were included, that would allow one to better
judge whether the group were well-balanced, and if it were becoming more so
or less so over time.

Trying to gather much more than these basic data might easily escalate into
an administrative nightmare.

-- Helen (MD USA)
who avoids attempts to "securely" post personal information on the Web,
since any competent hacker in the entire World can then easily access it

> At present Coates Crescent has no individual details about the 90% of
> Society members who join through branches. Only HQ members send any
> information about themselves to Coates Cres, the rest are simply a number
in
> the annual return from the branch secretaries.
>
> Collecting the information William would like presupposes a more basic
> question.
>
> Should there be a more direct link between HQ and individual members than
at
> present?
>
> Fiona
> Bristol
> UK

Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Message 35065 · Pia Walker · 25 Apr 2003 11:58:43 · Top

Helen and others

As someone doing research and dealing with databases on a daily basis, I
agree with your comments totally, but this basic information could be
achieved without a survey - I don't think you initially need ask each and
every individual for information: it is amazing what kind of information
actually is in one place when you start to root around. When this has been
assessed and collected in one place, you can analyse the data and then see
what is missing, then, by altering various forms etc. the remaining info can
be collected over a period of time.

Pia
> Those of you who haven't worked in Survey Research would be appalled at
how
> much effort, money, and "paper"work are required by even a small survey.
> Also, response rates are usually rather low (30 percent fairly often)
unless
> even more effort and expense are applied. Getting an 80 percent response
> rate even after three full attempts is considered quite good.
>
> I'd rather have HQ spending more time on its job, unless a compelling
reason
> can be shown to justify such an costly activity.
>
> However, simply knowing the *change* in numbers of adult and youth dancers
> between any two points in time would tell quite a lot about the vitality
and
> future potential of any branch.
>
> If sex and approximate age were included, that would allow one to better
> judge whether the group were well-balanced, and if it were becoming more
so
> or less so over time.
>
> Trying to gather much more than these basic data might easily escalate
into
> an administrative nightmare.
>
> -- Helen (MD USA)
> who avoids attempts to "securely" post personal information on the Web,
> since any competent hacker in the entire World can then easily access it

Key Indicators

Message 35018 · ron.mackey · 24 Apr 2003 00:39:17 · Top

> Thus one key indicator for the RSCDS would obviously be the number of annual
> memberships paid each year. Re the attached note maybe one should also be
> thinking of measuring average age, and the gender balance :-)
>
> Any others?
>
> William Whyte

How about how many members have RSCDS classes they could attend and
how many in the same circs. do not. A;so how many attend classes
other than RSCDS and why?
Answers to the latter could range from say;
A) None withing reach
Z) don't like the teacher's methods!

On the subject of who does the work it seems one of the drawbacks of
'Modern Technology' that it generates so many possibilities in
producing "relevant" information which might be of some use that the
basic function of the organisation could be diverted or neglected.
It seems to me as an 'observer' that in the past, before the M.T.,
the focus was more on the job to hand.
Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
39, Grove Park Road,
Mottingham
London SE9 4NS

Key Indicators

Message 35031 · Marilyn Knight · 24 Apr 2003 13:42:10 · Top

What does M.T. mean?

> Thus one key indicator for the RSCDS would obviously be the number of
annual
> memberships paid each year. Re the attached note maybe one should also
be
> thinking of measuring average age, and the gender balance :-)
>
> Any others?
>
> William Whyte

How about how many members have RSCDS classes they could attend
and
how many in the same circs. do not. A;so how many attend classes
other than RSCDS and why?
Answers to the latter could range from say;
A) None withing reach
Z) don't like the teacher's methods!

On the subject of who does the work it seems one of the
drawbacks of
'Modern Technology' that it generates so many possibilities in
producing "relevant" information which might be of some use that the
basic function of the organisation could be diverted or neglected.
It seems to me as an 'observer' that in the past, before the M.T.,
the focus was more on the job to hand.
Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
39, Grove Park Road,
Mottingham
London SE9 4NS

Key Indicators

Message 35032 · T L Harris · 24 Apr 2003 14:23:44 · Top

M.T. = Modern Technology

Terry Lynne Harris
Pretoria, South Africa

>>> MarilynnK@scchamber.net 24-04-03 01:42 >>>
What does M.T. mean?

Key Indicators

Message 35033 · Marilyn Knight · 24 Apr 2003 14:26:10 · Top

Thanks, Terry!