strathspey Archive: Re: Tournée

Re: Tournée

Message 34842 · Volleyballjerry · 6 Apr 2003 20:40:53 · Top

Norah,

(See Norah's question in her April 5th "RE: Tournée," which I should have
recopied here but [sorry!] neglected to do so.)

Your question about the unlinking of the men's left arms set me pondering.
As the dancers originally presented it and as I've danced it as well, it has
just happened naturally, and your question has never arisen...so it became
one of those "well, how DO they do that?" things, particularly since the
couple heading downward on bar 3 must retain left hands throughout.
Coïncidentally several of us were together at a wedding yesterday where some
dancing took place, so I had a chance to actually do the T.O. tournée, and
here's the answer: On bar 4 the couple heading upward needs to release left
hands and retain right for the "readjust." In doing so the two men simply
become unlinked as the upward-moving man more-or-less automatically slides
his left arm out. As a variation or just as an exercise it does keep the men
together right up to the 3-4 barline and certainly eliminates that improper
"flow-y" tournée that I've oft observed, whereïn the "readjust" begins the
happen even during bar 3.

In your part of the world, perhaps you'd prefer not to call it the T.O.
tournée, since I was told some time ago that "tee-oh" also refers to Toronto,
Ontario. Perhaps eastern Canadians might wish to call it the "Norah Link."

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

RE: Tournée

Message 34847 · Norah Link · 6 Apr 2003 22:13:49 · Top

> In your part of the world, perhaps you'd prefer not to call it the T.O.
> tournée, since I was told some time ago that "tee-oh" also refers
> to Toronto, Ontario.

Yes it does, so much so that I have trouble remembering that you are NOT in
T.O. when I read your messages! I will keep your method in mind and try it
sometime as a teaching tool. I'm interested these days in using alternate
hand-holds in some places to give dancers the feel of where their weight and
effort needs to be, and then translate that into the SCD hand-hold.

regards,
Norah

RE: Tournée

Message 34873 · Brian Charlton · 8 Apr 2003 00:37:38 · Top

G'Day, All,

One tip I was given for the Tournee was that the men dance forward together
and give their 'outside' hand to their partners. (Left for 1st Man, right
for 2nd man) Then, by taking promenade hold, who turns which way becomes
'natural'. The men keep firm hold of the 'first hand' so that they know
which hand to release during bar 4. They will then 'naturally' end up facing
in the correct direction. I find that useful for me, but some dancers seem
able to do anything in an 'un-natural' way!!

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia.

[...]

Message 34877 · Volleyballjerry · 8 Apr 2003 04:34:39 · Top

Everyone seems to have a different "how to" for the tournée. What always
works for me is "uphill hold on right, downhill hold on left." Having passed
this on repeatedly, I now hear dancers muttering these mnemonics as they
progress up or down the set on bars 2 and 3. A few say that this doesn't
help them at all and ply me with other mnemonics of their own, which I myself
can't seem to help immediately forgetting!

Robb

RE: Tournée

Message 34878 · Patricia Ruggiero · 8 Apr 2003 04:58:42 · Top

I haven't been following this thread carefully, so this observation may have
already been made....

At the end of Bar 4, if the women are facing the men's wall and the men are
facing the women's wall, no dancer should have a hand/arm reaching across
the body.

Pat

Robb wrote:

> Everyone seems to have a different "how to" for the tournée.

Re: Tournée

Message 34880 · Jock McVlug · 8 Apr 2003 08:05:05 · Top

I suppose the reason for "different" doings on bar 4 is because literature
in SCD books give different directions (If not by word, then by
illustration), Get the directions for the following side by side: "From
Scotia's Shores We're Noo Awa'", "Alltshellach", and the "Official" (blue)
Manual of SCD.
I have made the following observations at Dances: the people who get bars
5-8 right most often are the ones where 2ndC. turn RH clockwise on bar 4,
the ones that get it right most often after that are the ones from
"Alltshellach" "Men turn the women into the middle, back to back", and in
third place are the ones who do (or attempt to do) bar 4 "Right".
And finally I agree with what Fran said (but about a different Dance) "On
the whole I'd rather dance something all could comprehend than stick rigidly
to the "correct" version and have the set collapse." (Or "formation"
collapse)
Jack
Everyone seems to have a different "how to" for the tournée. What always
works for me is "uphill hold on right, downhill hold on left." Having
passed
this on repeatedly, I now hear dancers muttering these mnemonics as they
progress up or down the set on bars 2 and 3. A few say that this doesn't
help them at all and ply me with other mnemonics of their own, which I
myself
can't seem to help immediately forgetting!

Robb

RE: Tournée

Message 34882 · Ian Brockbank · 8 Apr 2003 12:19:35 · Top

> Everyone seems to have a different "how to" for the tournée.

Okay, my turn.

My wife always uses "keep top hand for the couple at the top, bottom
hand for the couple at the bottom" - which only works if you're still
holding hands during bar 4...

Cheers,

Ian
-- Please use ian@scottishdance.net for emails --
Ian Brockbank, Edinburgh, Scotland ian@scottishdance.net
Grand Chain: the Scottish Dance Resource - http://www.scottishdance.net
Feed the world: http://www.thehungersite.com/

RE: Tournée

Message 34889 · Patricia Ruggiero · 8 Apr 2003 23:07:44 · Top

Ian wrote:
> My wife always uses "keep top hand for the couple at the top, bottom
> hand for the couple at the bottom" - which only works if you're still
> holding hands during bar 4...

I know others for whom that reminder works. It never works for me because I
start thinking about the correct hand *before* the figure starts, at which
point I'm in a different orientation from the one at the end of Bar 4. If
I'm W1, then I'm part of the "couple at the top" on Bar 1.

Backwardly yours,
Pat