strathspey Archive: Making a Scottish shirt

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3376 · Tom Roby · 17 Jan 1996 20:16:16 · Top

I have a friend who would like to make a man's scottish shirt for
wearing with a kilt to informal SCD parties. Could someone point us in
the directions of patterns? We would also like to know what sort of
materials are appropriate.

Thanks for your help.

Tom Roby
Madison, WI
metis@math.wisc.edu

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3377 · Coletta Hill · 17 Jan 1996 21:37:25 · Top

Reply to: RE>Making a Scottish shirt

ACK!!!! A (real) MAN DOES NOT WEAR A SKIRT! Scottish or otherwise!!
REAL MEN wear KILTS!
(whew! sorry, I'm much better now :-)
I've made three kilts. There is a pattern from a company called Folkwear
patterns that will tell you how (although I didn't use it) . There is a
magazine called Threads that put out an excellent article a while back (my
main source of instruction). One can usually find it and a book by ....(oh,
I've forgotten her name) at the various Games. I have a copy of it at home, it
was helpful.
A specific tartan can be ordered from Scotland but it usually costs about
$70/yard. One needs four yards to make an 8 yard kilt (it's twice as wide as
needed. There will be a seem in the back, but if you look REALLY carefully you
will find most kilts have this seem). One can sometimes find suitable fabric
in local stores but one must be VERY careful about weave, set and weight.
Making a kilt is great good fun, but very time consuming. If you want more
specific information please email me directly, I'd love to chat about
kiltmaking. I already have the fabric for my next kilt, and someday I'll find
the time to make it! (hope, hope)

best wishes
Coletta

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3378 · Jerry Agin · 17 Jan 1996 22:06:25 · Top

> Reply to: RE>Making a Scottish shirt
>
> ACK!!!! A (real) MAN DOES NOT WEAR A SKIRT! Scottish or otherwise!!
> REAL MEN wear KILTS!
> (whew! sorry, I'm much better now :-)

Yes, but a kilt doesn't do much to keep my back and shoulders warm!

Jerry Agin
(kiltless at the moment, but shirted)

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3379 · Tappan · 17 Jan 1996 22:25:34 · Top

Tom Roby wrote:

>I have a friend who would like to make a man's scottish shirt for
>wearing with a kilt to informal SCD parties.

That was sHirt as opposed to sKirt, right?

Folkwear has several patterns that would be suitable, some are called
"Poet's Shirts" - but minus the ruffles, usually. I'd say to find a pattern
close to the sort you see other men wearing and adapt it as necessary. The
shirts are usually a pretty simple pattern with a collar and a sort of
V-shaped from opening, sometimes laced with leather, sometimes left plain.

Materials: I've seen some men wearing colored shirts (one awful example was
a bright yellow to match the yellow in the Buchanan tartan), but various
shades of white/ivory are more usual. In So. Calif. where the games are
always in our hottest season, I'd go for 100% cotton of some sort, but the
material is pretty much up to you. I've seen homespun-type fabrics as well
as very fine, smooth material.

Have fun,

Jan Tappan
Pasadena, CA
tappan@netcom.com

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3380 · Coletta Hill · 17 Jan 1996 23:34:26 · Top

Reply to: RE>>Making a Scottish shirt

ah, Can I blame my glasses? The small type on the display? drain bamage?

A thousand apologies Tom.

SHirts are good, I like sHirts on men. There are patterns in Simplicity and
McCalls in the costume sections for men's peasant shirts that look pretty
good.

But if your friend wants to give a kilt a try, its great good fun just not for
the faint of heart.

humbly yours,
Coletta

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3381 · Raymond A. Brown · 18 Jan 1996 00:33:54 · Top

On 17 Jan 1996, Coletta Hill wrote:

> Reply to: RE>Making a Scottish shirt
>
> ACK!!!! A (real) MAN DOES NOT WEAR A SKIRT! Scottish or otherwise!!
> REAL MEN wear KILTS!

Uh, Coletta? May I suggest that you re-read Tom's message? He was
looking for a sHirt, not a sKirt. :-)

I'd assume that he's talking about a sheephearder's shirt, which also
looks a lot like something from Greece as well.

I don't know of any pattern for one, it's just basically a V'd,
lace-up, pullover shirt. I have two, myself, one from "Tartan House", in
Fairborn, Ohio (my first one, and it's so-so in fit and quality), and I
can't remember where I got my second one from! (sigh)

There's two places I'd recommend, if you want to buy ready-to-wear
items: Dunedin Scottish (forget their phone number, but they should have
an 800 number), in Dunedin, Florida (a suburb of Tampa); The Royal
Scottish Company, 800 421-4394, Emma Dillinger, Proprieter, in Wichita,
Kansas.

Good luck!

_Ray_

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3390 · Etienne Ozorak · 18 Jan 1996 16:41:30 · Top

I've worked with the Folkwear poet's shirt pattern but was never
pleased at how the yoke turned out. I now wear a whole bunch of
different shirts (for wearing with kilt or for everyday wear- i'm
wearing one now) in this style from a catalog company called "Deva".
Deva is a cooperative of seamsters/seamstresses somewhere in western
US. Their shirts, which also include wonderful paisleys sell for
about $30 American dollars. I don't have their toll-free number
off-hand but will gladly provide if there is any interest.

salut,
Etienne

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3391 · Joe Shelby · 18 Jan 1996 17:12:13 · Top

> I've worked with the Folkwear poet's shirt pattern but was never
> pleased at how the yoke turned out. I now wear a whole bunch of
> different shirts (for wearing with kilt or for everyday wear- i'm
> wearing one now) in this style from a catalog company called "Deva".
> Deva is a cooperative of seamsters/seamstresses somewhere in western
> US. Their shirts, which also include wonderful paisleys sell for
> about $30 American dollars. I don't have their toll-free number
> off-hand but will gladly provide if there is any interest.

I also have a sizeable number of Deva shirts (10 total right now). great
for "period" renaissance clothing as well, as i use them for the renaissance
festival in MD. A large number of Delaware Valley Branch guys wear
them, too.

The Toll-Free number to get a catalogue is 1-800-222-8024

when you get a catalog, look for the "Frontier" and "Buccaneer". The
"Mariner" and "Plains" shirts are also nice, but are more based on 19th
century designs (i.e., they've got buttons :)

joe
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Joseph Shelby : Software Engineer jshelby@autometric.com
5301 Shawnee Rd. Alexandria, VA 22312-2333 (703) 658-4071
http://www.io.com/~acroyear
I'm not sure who he is, but I've heard he's got his hand in a lot of things.
--Kermit, about Jim Henson
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Making a Scottish shirt

Message 3488 · Ian McHaffie · 30 Jan 1996 16:49:08 · Top

Hello everyone!

Re shirts and postings!

This is an excellent example of a posting where a GENERAL Strathspey reply
instead of a PRIVATE reply will valuable to all sorts of people (at least
in my view!). I look forweard to reading all the replies!

Ian McHaffie
ianmch@inforamp.net