strathspey Archive: The dance as art.

The dance as art.

Message 3317 · edpatter · 4 Jan 1996 23:12:23 · Top

/ \
Some Scottish country dance figures are so moving.
\ /

1. Down the middle and up, with any partner, always makes me feel I'm
getting married.
2. Slipping circle, a party celebrating our community.
3. The strathspey traveling circle, a migration (along trail) of
the whole community.

Would these or other figures do such things for other people?
______________________________
The Dance as Art edmund.patterson@aux.umass.edu

The dance as art.

Message 3318 · Norah Link · 4 Jan 1996 23:34:55 · Top

What wonderful imagery! And yes, when a dance works (i.e. when the set is
working together well), that IS how it feels! I often like to imagine that we're
making the dance up as we go along - you can find a new reason for going this way
or that, make it more flirtatious (read: sociable), find or create new surprises.

Norah Link
Montreal, Canada

>>> <strathspey-request@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> 01/04/96 05:12pm >>>
/ \
Some Scottish country dance figures are so moving.
\ /

1. Down the middle and up, with any partner, always makes me feel I'm
getting married.
2. Slipping circle, a party celebrating our community.
3. The strathspey traveling circle, a migration (along trail) of
the whole community.

Would these or other figures do such things for other people?
______________________________
The Dance as Art edmund.patterson@aux.umass.edu

The dance as art.

Message 3323 · SMiskoe · 5 Jan 1996 13:41:11 · Top

Ed Patterson may feel that a down the middle and up is like getting married.
I don't go quite that far, but I do enjoy the figure, and regret its passing
from so many dances. One can always discuss another dance, or even try for a
phone number in those 8 bars.
Sylvia Miskoe, concord, NH

The dance as art.

Message 3324 · Paul Hemenway · 5 Jan 1996 15:43:04 · Top

Be careful, Sylvia. "Down the middle and up" often leads to a Poussette,
and I know of more than one couple that fell in love during a Poussette!

paul

The dance as art.

Message 3325 · Susan Worland · 5 Jan 1996 16:21:11 · Top

At 08:51 AM 1/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Be careful, Sylvia. "Down the middle and up" often leads to a Poussette,
>and I know of more than one couple that fell in love during a Poussette!
>
>paul

Just ask those Delaware Valley boys...!

The dance as art.

Message 3326 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 5 Jan 1996 16:27:05 · Top

Funny, I've thought of down the middle and up as the perfect oportunity
to find a partner for the next dance: going down, you smile at numbers
three and four in the opposite line, and coming back, at numbers three
and two -- all the time holding hands with your present partner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage (priscilla.burrage@uvm.edu)
Vermont USA (pburrage@moose.uvm.edu)

The dance as art.

Message 3327 · Thomas G. Mungall III · 5 Jan 1996 22:11:54 · Top

Well in our group the bathrooms are at that end of the hall and down the
middle often ends up there (the hall is too short):)
Tom Mungall <atheling@intersurf.com>

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996 SMiskoe@aol.com wrote:

> Ed Patterson may feel that a down the middle and up is like getting married.
> I don't go quite that far, but I do enjoy the figure, and regret its passing
> from so many dances. One can always discuss another dance, or even try for a
> phone number in those 8 bars.
> Sylvia Miskoe, concord, NH
>
> --
> SMiskoe@aol.com

The dance as art.

Message 3328 · Norah Link · 5 Jan 1996 22:33:53 · Top

Well, I may not want to feel that I'm getting married EVERY time I dance down the
middle and up, but occasionally I will find myself dancing down the figure with
someone who makes me feel like a queen (or at least a very special person) -
maybe it was Ed, feeling like he was presenting his bride? Don't know, but it
sure is a nice feeling to have now and then!

Norah Link
Montreal, Canada

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996 SMiskoe@aol.com wrote:

> Ed Patterson may feel that a down the middle and up is like getting married.
> I don't go quite that far, but I do enjoy the figure, and regret its passing
> from so many dances. One can always discuss another dance, or even try for a
> phone number in those 8 bars.
> Sylvia Miskoe, concord, NH
> > --
> SMiskoe@aol.com

The dance as art.

Message 3329 · Susan Worland · 5 Jan 1996 23:32:00 · Top

At 03:38 PM 1/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, I may not want to feel that I'm getting married EVERY time I dance
down the
>middle and up, but occasionally I will find myself dancing down the figure with
>someone who makes me feel like a queen (or at least a very special person) -
>maybe it was Ed, feeling like he was presenting his bride? Don't know, but it
>sure is a nice feeling to have now and then!
>
>Norah Link
>Montreal, Canada

I know two people who, after walking down the aisle of a cathedral while
sightseeing, decided they had to marry each other! Inconveniently enough,
the man was already married to someone else. So I guess we all confirm it
can be exciting, nay, even dangerous.

The dance as art.

Message 3330 · Michael Hanson · 7 Jan 1996 07:56:31 · Top

> / \
> Some Scottish country dance figures are so moving.
> \ /
>
> 1. Down the middle and up, with any partner, always makes me feel I'm
> getting married.
A good down the middle and up (in fast time) often feels to me like flying
(not that I have ever flown sans several tons of metal, but it is what
I imagine it might be like)
(Of course as I am 6'6" - it must realy seem like flying to some of
my partners ;-)

Michael Hanson
Seattle, WA

The dance as art.

Message 3331 · Raymond A. Brown · 7 Jan 1996 20:10:11 · Top

On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, Michael Hanson wrote:

> > / \
> > Some Scottish country dance figures are so moving.
> > \ /
> >
> > 1. Down the middle and up, with any partner, always makes me feel I'm
> > getting married.
> A good down the middle and up (in fast time) often feels to me like flying
> (not that I have ever flown sans several tons of metal, but it is what
> I imagine it might be like)
> (Of course as I am 6'6" - it must realy seem like flying to some of
> my partners ;-)

When I was dancing at the Miami Springs Presbyterian Church (the Miami
SCD group, whom I still miss terribly), and we had a dance that went down
the middle and back, many of us would see if we could go clear down to
the end of the room and "smack" the wall. It did take a willing partner,
though. :-)

And I'm 6'0" and 230#. :-)

_Ray_

The dance as art.

Message 3332 · Colleen Putt · 8 Jan 1996 02:30:13 · Top

I can't match the "graphics", but I do agree. I tell my class that a
circle, done well, is the HAPPIEST formation in Scottish Country Dancing!

Judging by the determined expressions I see at times, sometimes I think they
forget this!

...And as for an all-around strathspey poussette, well!

Colleen Putt