strathspey Archive: Cribbing

Cribbing

Message 32926 · Adam Hughes · 9 Dec 2002 15:28:07 · Top

Does any one have any suggestions of ways to teach beginners to read
instructions and other people cribs and/or write their own cribs?

Does anyone else actually do this? At the moment, I'm looking for some
dances with easy cribs to use as the basis for teaching people to read
cribs/pilling notation. I want to give out a slip of paper with a dance
on it, and give the group a moment to read it, and then get up and dance
it. Is it a waste of time, or a worthwhile excercise?

Adam
Cambridge, UK.

Cribbing

Message 32927 · Miriam L. Mueller · 9 Dec 2002 17:14:35 · Top

Some years ago I visited a beginners' class in Vancouver, WA. The teacher
had a flip chart at the front of the room with the pillings for the
dances she was teaching. While she didn't teach from it she did indicate
it, and it was clear that the class members were associating its visual
cues with the verbal directions and the kinesthetic learning.
Once had a teacher give the class in SF advice and practice visualizing
the dance from the talk-through - a great help to non-auditory learners.
One of the advantages of SCD organization is that there are standard
names for standard figures - teaching the name with the figure makes it
easier to keep briefings succinct.
Miriam Mueller - SF

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:27:44 +0000 Adam Hughes <adamoutside@yahoo.co.uk>
writes:
> Does any one have any suggestions of ways to teach beginners to read
> instructions and other people cribs and/or write their own cribs?
>
> Does anyone else actually do this? At the moment, I'm looking for
> some
> dances with easy cribs to use as the basis for teaching people to
> read
> cribs/pilling notation. I want to give out a slip of paper with a
> dance
> on it, and give the group a moment to read it, and then get up and
> dance
> it. Is it a waste of time, or a worthwhile excercise?
>
> Adam
> Cambridge, UK.

Cribbing

Message 32929 · Ron Taylor · 9 Dec 2002 17:38:46 · Top

Adam, I do exactly that even at a class for "experienced" dancers. It makes
them read and understand instructions

Regrads
Ron Taylor
RON29@blueyonder.co.uk