strathspey Archive: When did you start?

When did you start?

Message 32339 · Mettler, Klaus · 4 Nov 2002 12:09:17 · Top

I started dancing at an age of 25 and 18 years ago.

Klaus
Esslingen, Germany

> How many people on Strathspey started dancing as children and how many as
> adults?

When did you start?

Message 32348 · Adam Hughes · 4 Nov 2002 15:16:05 · Top

After a false start square dancing and maypole dancing at school aged
6/7/8, I missed 16 years before I started dancing again, and another one
(which made me 25) before I allowed my flatmates to talk me into SCD.

Does that count as adult?

Maybe I started dancing at just the right age: I've found that in the
ballroom my ability has usually met the prejudices of those around me...
;-) (Which I put down to being more inclined to dress the part as I got
better at dancing.)

Adam
Cambridge, UK.

When did you start?

Message 32350 · marjoriem · 4 Nov 2002 15:21:43 · Top

I took the obligatory lessons is school in East Kilbride, Scotland from the
ages of 7-9. Started again when my Dad began his classes in Cleveland when
I was 12, stopped for a while in high school and early university days, but
began again at age 25 and haven't stopped since.

Marjorie McLaughlin
San Diego

> > How many people on Strathspey started dancing as children and how many
as adults?

When did you start?

Message 32354 · AGallamore · 4 Nov 2002 16:58:54 · Top

For those who know, and don't know, I started when I was 12 in 1981 (now 34).
My father had passed earlier in the year, and my mother wanted someone to go
with. Out of my brothers, I was the chosen one....

At that time, there were 3 other people under 18 who danced in the Southeast
US that I knew. After a year, one dropped out, and there were just 3 of us
for years. But we were between 12-18. Now, there are more.

I still thank those who danced with me because it helped develop more than
just my dancing abilities, but also social skills and good manners. Thus,
allowing me to be the person that I am today. (Of course, I think some
people will question the final result...)

See you on the dance floor,

Sandy Gallamore
Charlotte, NC

When did you start?

Message 32355 · Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov · 4 Nov 2002 16:59:18 · Top

I started at age 20 while a student at Edinburgh University. I had
never danced before in my life (in fact as a young girl I was dead set
against it) and I had never seen nor heard of Scottish country dancing,
but while browsing through the information booths at the university's
annual societies fair, I somehow found myself intrigued by the
enthusiastic folks manning the New Scotland Country Dance Society's
table. I went along to their introductory night and had a wonderful
time. However, I wasn't hooked until I danced with Iain Garden
Richardson! Thanks Iain ;-)

--Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, MN USA

> How many people on Strathspey started dancing as children and how
> many as adults?

*******************************
Lara Friedman-Shedlov
ldfs@bigfoot.com
*******************************

When did you start?

Message 32359 · Grant Logan · 4 Nov 2002 19:07:58 · Top

Hi everybody. I was off the list for a long period of time then became a
silent member some weeks ago. This subject matter brings up a point I have
discussed with other leaders in the square dance movement. But first, I want
to thank everyone for the education I have been getting in the short time I
have been reading your emails. While my great great grandfather came from
Glasgow, our family never discussed our roots. I was introduced to SCD only
17 years ago at age 49 while attending the York Contra Holiday. I may have
known about it before but it never registered. My wife Ann and I now prefer
SCD over other forms of dance.

The point I refer to is that membership is not growing. This is the same
problem other dance groups now have and have had the last few years to the
extent that I know square dance clubs are folding because of low attendance
and increased rents. The only dance form I see maintaining attendance and
growing in parts of North America is the Contradance.

Word of mouth used to be the best way of attracting dancers. It now seems
that we have tapped all our freinds and neighbours and few additions come by
word of mouth. I think we have a sales and marketing issue here and wonder
if parent organizations are taking the correct approach to attract new
dancers.

Is this a concern of others and is it a subject to be discussed in this
forum??

Grant Logan
Thornhill, ON

When did you start?

Message 32360 · SnowshoeTS · 4 Nov 2002 19:30:25 · Top

I attended the "Folklorama " in Winnepeg,Manitoba,Ca in 1978 .I saw SCD ,fell
in love with it ,and as soon as I returned to Minneapolis,Mn USA began
dancing .I have danced ever since then (except for a few years (3 or4)
when plagued by a fit of "high dugeon" ;-] (sp?) (usage?))

Kirk Bachler (TC Branch,USA)
We have met the enemy and he is us.

When did you start?

Message 32361 · Maria Fanucchi · 4 Nov 2002 20:01:00 · Top

Hello, all...

I never danced at all until I was 15 because I'm hearing-impaired (only 30%
hearing, but I can hear about 90% of all sounds with my aid) and Mother
never thought of exposing me to music and dance.
And anyway... at 15, a year or so after moving back to Buenos Aires, I found
an Irish step-dancing group, got hooked, and started looking for SCD and
Highland classes. I now take them at the Saint Andrew's Church here in
downtown Bs.As.
I also started to play the fiddle two years ago.

Cheers,
--Maria
Irish Fiddler, Irish Step-Dancer, Scottish Highland and Scottish Country
Dancer

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband.

When did you start?

Message 32358 · Stella Fogg · 4 Nov 2002 18:35:26 · Top

I started at school from about age 7. However, I remember being a very young
child (maybe 3) and the older kids on the street teaching me to pas de
basque (pa de ba in those days and in my part of Scotland). I continued
both in High School (some SCD, mostly ceilidh) and the Girl Guides. At 11 we
competed at the Festival in Greenock, dancing Duke of Perth) and came in 9
out of 10......at least we weren't last!
In my nursing days in Glasgow I used to go to the Highlander's club, they
were more "reelers" with some ceilidh mixed in. After marrying and coming to
the US
I never thought about dancing for a few years, discovered a group in Hawaii,
became re-hooked and haven't stopped since.

Stella Fogg
Richmond, VA

When did you start?

Message 32363 · Martin.Sheffield · 4 Nov 2002 20:04:07 · Top

To join the chorus:

I began at primary school (I'm pretty sure I was the only one that actually
enjoyed it) -- just a term or two.

Began again with my parents at about 16 -- a couple of years.

Discovered that it could also be a fun activity for young people at
university -- and have hardly stopped since.

I've met a fair number of people that first danced at school -- most of
them seem to take the attitude "never again."

What about *where* have you danced?
I bet I'm the only one on the list that has taught SCD in Morocco !

Martin

When did you start?

Message 32364 · John Sturrock · 4 Nov 2002 20:35:20 · Top

> What about *where* have you danced?
> I bet I'm the only one on the list that has taught SCD in Morocco !
>
> Martin

Morocco, 'No' ... Samarkand, 'Yes' !

John Sturrock
Cupar UK

Re:Exotic classes

Message 32397 · ron.mackey · 5 Nov 2002 20:07:09 · Top

> Morocco, 'No' ... Samarkand, 'Yes' !
>
> John Sturrock
> Cupar UK

Hi, John
Start the lamp swinging, someone! :))
Anyone else with exotic classes?
My best is down town Biggin Hill!
Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
39, Grove Park Road,
Mottingham
London SE9 4NS

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32365 · dldavies · 4 Nov 2002 21:55:34 · Top

Martin opines:
I bet I'm the only one on the list that has taught SCD in Morocco !

I, too, have some Middle East experience and have taught SCD in Jeddah,
Saudi Arabia; Jerusalem; and Cairo. Dancers were mostly expatriates.

I actually got my first exposure to SCD in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia but got
hooked when I found the Washington DC branch on my return to the US. This
was in the early '70s.
David Davies
Montgomery, TX

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32368 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 4 Nov 2002 23:19:21 · Top

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, David Davies wrote:

> Martin opines:
> I bet I'm the only one on the list that has taught SCD in Morocco !
>
> I, too, have some Middle East experience and have taught SCD in Jeddah,
> Saudi Arabia; Jerusalem; and Cairo. Dancers were mostly expatriates.
>
> I actually got my first exposure to SCD in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia but got
> hooked when I found the Washington DC branch on my return to the US. This
> was in the early '70s.

Well, I haven't taught in such exotic places. but my first class in
northern Vermont was in the YWCA. I had some thiry people show up and
needed to know if any of them had any experience. A show of ahnds
produced four dancers who had done Scottish CD before. I then asked the
nearest one where she had learned: Cpoenhagen was her answer. The next
one replied tha she had learned in Delft. By this time there were a few
laughs among the others. The third said that he had learned in
Washington, but had just finished a three-year stint in Ethiopia where he
had taught Scottish dancing. When I turned to the fourth dancers, she
said one word, "Sri Lanka." It brought down the house.

That was thirty years ago and the class is still going -- with younger
dancers and a younger teacher.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32376 · Adam Hughes · 5 Nov 2002 12:07:27 · Top

Priscilla M. Burrage wrote:
> The third said that he had learned in
> Washington, but had just finished a three-year stint in Ethiopia
> where he had taught Scottish dancing. When I turned to the fourth
> dancers, she said one word, "Sri Lanka." It brought down the house.

Isn't "Sri Lanka" two words? ;-) (sorry.)

My own experience is very parochial.

My girlfriend, however, has been back in the UK for almost a year now.
Before that she was in Guyana, South America - where she learned some
Kathak (classical Indian dance), and in return tried to teach them the
Gay Gordons, and then the Fling... For those who haven't seen it,
Kathak is a very stompy, flat-footed, downward stepping dance done solo
to chanting and percussive music.

Your guess is as good as mine, as to how it looked - I'm told it had the
whole class in howls of frustration and laughter.

Adam
Cambridge, UK.

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32377 · Jim Healy · 5 Nov 2002 13:05:05 · Top

Greetings!

I started dancing at school and my mother reckons that my first formal
classes were almost exactly fifty years ago. I made the junior school team
very quickly but that had less to do with ability than with the fact that I
owned a kilt.

There is, however, obviously an SCD virus in the Middle East. Having been
away from dancing for a number of years, we were living in Kuwait and were
invited to the Bahrain St Andrews Night through my job. Marilyn had trained
as a ballet dancer and was talked into getting up for Monymusk and was
instantly hooked. We then joined a class in Kuwait where the best couple in
the group by far was the American Ambassador and his wife. Since then we
have danced all over - from Hawaii through Vancouver and California ,
through New York and most countries in Europe. With the AGM in Aberdeen over
we are now looking forward to St Andrews Night in Monaco.

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now!

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32383 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 5 Nov 2002 15:58:14 · Top

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Adam Hughes wrote:

> > dancers, she said one word, "Sri Lanka." (In a soty by P. Burrage)

> Isn't "Sri Lanka" two words? ;-) (sorry.)

Sorry. At my age, I think Ceylon and write Sri Lanka.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32389 · seonaid.gent · 5 Nov 2002 18:03:27 · Top

It may not be exotic but my most unusual has to be teaching a group of Morris/English ceilidh dancers to do SCD on the platform of Ely (Cambridgeshire, UK) station during a snow storm where the snow was coming horizontally at us. We were trying to keep warm whilst waiting for the train to take us to IVFDF in Cambridge.

Seonaid

--------------------

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32391 · Adam Hughes · 5 Nov 2002 18:49:09 · Top

seonaid.gent@talk21.com wrote:
> It may not be exotic but my most unusual has to be teaching a group
> of Morris/English ceilidh dancers to do SCD on the platform of Ely
> station during a snow storm

Now hang on one minute... Not exotic!

Ely: Renaissance centre of eel fisheries?

Ely: Immortalised in Douglas Adams' "Meaning of Liff" as "The first,
tiniest inkling you get that something, somewhere has gone horribly wrong."

Ely: The second most important place in the Ely and Littleport Riots!

Ely: ...erm

I'll shut up now...

Adam
Cambridge (but dreaming of Ely), UK.

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32404 · Pia Walker · 5 Nov 2002 22:52:07 · Top

Well - exotic I don't know, but when living in Dunedin, NZ, I demonstrated
at a Dog Show - there were a lot of barking as we walked on stage, and as my
partner commented: "it must be because of the b...... (dogs of the female
variety) coming on stage"

And of course there was the donkey derby during summerschool at St Andrews.

Pia
Having danced in
Denmark
Sweden
New Zealand
Ireland
Scotland
Canada
Austria
Hungary
and
hulaed in Hawaii.

> > It may not be exotic but my most unusual has to be teaching a group
> > of Morris/English ceilidh dancers to do SCD on the platform of Ely
> > station during a snow storm
>
> Now hang on one minute... Not exotic!
>
> Ely: Renaissance centre of eel fisheries?
>
> Ely: Immortalised in Douglas Adams' "Meaning of Liff" as "The first,
> tiniest inkling you get that something, somewhere has gone horribly
wrong."

> Ely: The second most important place in the Ely and Littleport Riots!
>
> Ely: ...erm
>
> I'll shut up now...
>
> Adam
> Cambridge (but dreaming of Ely), UK.

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32442 · ron.mackey · 6 Nov 2002 22:42:34 · Top

> Ely: ...erm

> Adam
> Cambridge (but dreaming of Ely), UK.

As one who was up in Cambridge today - Ely - where the rain comes
down in solid lumps!

Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
39, Grove Park Road,
Mottingham
London SE9 4NS

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32416 · Kate Gentles · 6 Nov 2002 09:41:03 · Top

Again, not an exotic location, but certainly unusual companions. We were
doing a demonstration at a fete/vintage car rally in Cambridgeshire (UK) and
had been asked to get people up to dance. As we were in the middle of a huge
arena, this was not straightforward. However, the display after us was a
Roman battle and some of the Roman soldiers offered to dance. So I have done
a Dashing White Sergeant with two Roman soldiers - one of whom panted, about
halfway through, "This is harder work than fighting a battle!"

Kate
Cambridge, UK

> It may not be exotic but my most unusual has to be teaching a group of
Morris/English ceilidh dancers to do SCD on the platform of Ely
(Cambridgeshire, UK) station during a snow storm where the snow was coming
horizontally at us. We were trying to keep warm whilst waiting for the
train to take us to IVFDF in Cambridge.

> Seonaid
>

> --------------------
> talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at
http://www.talk21.com

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32398 · ron.mackey · 5 Nov 2002 20:18:51 · Top

> Isn't "Sri Lanka" two words? ;-) (sorry.)

> Adam

In those days it was probably 'Ceylon' .

Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
39, Grove Park Road,
Mottingham
London SE9 4NS

Where Have You Danced?

Message 32370 · Patricia Ruggiero · 5 Nov 2002 04:33:33 · Top

David Davies wrote:

"I actually got my first exposure to SCD in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia but got
hooked when I found the Washington DC branch on my return to the US. This
was in the early '70s."

Well, that caught my eye. I got my first exposure to SCD in Dhahran, Saudi
Arabia, in the mid-70s. We must have been in The Magic Kingdom at the same
time.

In my case, SCD was part of an International Folk Dance group. I remember
how hard it was for all of us beginners to learn the concept of progression.
The group leader never explained that when we changed our *position* in the
set, during any one repetition, that we kept our same *number*. So when
First Couple cast into second place, they thought they were Second Couple;
meanwhile Second Couple standing at the top thought they were First Couple,
and so on. We were hilarious to watch, I'm sure.

I didn't continue with SCD when I returned to the States in late '78, but
did resume, with a passion, in 1990 with the Northern Virginia Branch.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia
USA

When did you start?

Message 32367 · hways · 4 Nov 2002 23:05:48 · Top

At age 31, in 1957, in the last class that David Huxley taught in Washington
before returning to the U K. His
assistant was a charming lady from Ayr, Jean Matheson, who had come to
conduct the first teachers
training class in the Washington area. What a great team they were.

I would like very much to hear privately from anyone who knew Jean.

Harry

When did you start?

Message 32385 · Martin.Sheffield · 5 Nov 2002 16:18:32 · Top

At 20:29 04/11/02, you wrote:

>Morocco, 'No' ... Samarkand, 'Yes' !

Tell us more, John.

Martin

When did you start?

Message 32392 · John Sturrock · 5 Nov 2002 18:51:04 · Top

> >Morocco, 'No' ... Samarkand, 'Yes' !
>
> Tell us more, John.
>
> Martin

Hmmmm. This may bore some - but they can always press Delete. It may
interest others, as, although the world has shrunk enormously, Samarkand
remains fairly inaccessible.

The year was 1972, and the Cold War was still in progress. The big package
holiday firm of the day in the UK was Horizon, whose founder was a Russian.
Russia was very short of foreign currency to buy items from the West /
Horizon was keen to corner a new Russian holiday market. A win-win deal
seems to have been struck, favourable to both parties. Anxious to make a
good impression, Russia opened many doors to the first few groups. In an
exhausting fortnight - often getting to bed at 0100 hrs, only to be woken
at 0500 hrs for the next transport - we experienced just about all that
Leningrad, Moscow, Tashkent, Khiva, Odessa, and many other places have to
offer a tourist. The remote highlight was Samarkand - and a rare ( unique
? ) opportunity for SCD ...

There were two other Scots in the group, making four with 'notions'. It
only remained for me to train up enough to complete a set, while my wife
trained up the Uzbek 'Resident Band' in the hotel in the subtler nuances
of Jimmy Shandmanship - and away we went ! Until you've danced the
Eightsome Reel, at the end of The Golden Road, to weird Uzbekian
wind/percussion instruments, you haven't lived !!

John Sturrock
Cupar UK

When did you start?

Message 32371 · Susan McKinnell · 5 Nov 2002 06:50:33 · Top

>>How many people on Strathspey started dancing as children and how many as
>>adults?

I started at age 45 "several" years ago. :-) Sue

--
Susan McKinnell luvSCD@att.net http://suedan.com
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,

When did you start?

Message 32380 · Ian McHaffie · 5 Nov 2002 14:09:29 · Top

To add to the statistics someone is keeping!

I started dancing at about age 20 - in Canada - introduced to it by parents.

Ian McHaffie
mchaffie@sympatico.ca

--

When did you start?

Message 32413 · Donald V. and Linda W. Gertz · 6 Nov 2002 05:43:49 · Top

I started International Folkdancing when I was 12 and SCD when I was 26. I'm 52
now. When I was in my teens and early twenties, the International Folk Dance
Community was doing dances like: The Garry Strathspey, Angus MacLeod, Trip to
Bavaria, Ship of Grace, St. John River, Silver Tassie, Mairi's Wedding and
several others that I can't remember right now. These were mostly taught at
Stockton Folk Dance Camp and other festivals by C. Stewart Smith and brought
back to Portland by other dancers.

Don Gertz
Portland Oregon

Ian McHaffie wrote:

> To add to the statistics someone is keeping!
>
> I started dancing at about age 20 - in Canada - introduced to it by parents.
>
> Ian McHaffie
> mchaffie@sympatico.ca

> --

When did you start?

Message 32427 · mlbrown · 6 Nov 2002 15:57:08 · Top

Don wrote:
> I started International Folkdancing when I was 12 and SCD when I
> was 26. I'm 52 now. When I was in my teens and early twenties, the
International
> Folk Dance Community was doing dances like: The Garry Strathspey, Angus
> MacLeod, Trip to Bavaria, Ship of Grace, St. John River, Silver Tassie,
Mairi's Wedding and
> several others that I can't remember right now.

I do hope that the one's you cannot recall included some RSCDS dances!

Malcolm

Malcolm (& Helen) Brown
York (UK)

When did you start?

Message 32453 · Donald V. and Linda W. Gertz · 7 Nov 2002 01:56:06 · Top

Yes there were many RSCDS dances taught at Stockton. Not all of them made it
back to Portland though. Silver Tassie and Bonnie Anne are.
I just looked at the Stockton index for 1948-1987 and there are 113 Scottish
Country dances including: The Flowers of Edinburgh, Mrs. MacLeod, Duke of
Perth, Waltz Country Dance, Monymusk and The Robertson Rant.
Whew, I'll have to refer to this index more often for program ideas :-)

Don

Malcolm Brown wrote:

> Don wrote:
> > I started International Folkdancing when I was 12 and SCD when I
> > was 26. I'm 52 now. When I was in my teens and early twenties, the
> International
> > Folk Dance Community was doing dances like: The Garry Strathspey, Angus
> > MacLeod, Trip to Bavaria, Ship of Grace, St. John River, Silver Tassie,
> Mairi's Wedding and
> > several others that I can't remember right now.
>
> I do hope that the one's you cannot recall included some RSCDS dances!
>
> Malcolm
>
> Malcolm (& Helen) Brown
> York (UK)

When did you start?

Message 32394 · John W. Southcombe · 5 Nov 2002 19:03:39 · Top

At 08:02 AM 11/5/2002 -0500, Ian McHaffie wrote
>To add to the statistics someone is keeping!
>
>I started dancing at about age 20 - in Canada - introduced to it by parents.
Canada is a big place------Where????

When did you start?

Message 32400 · Ian McHaffie · 5 Nov 2002 20:32:37 · Top

>At 08:02 AM 11/5/2002 -0500, Ian McHaffie wrote
>>To add to the statistics someone is keeping!
>>
>>I started dancing at about age 20 - in Canada - introduced to it by parents.
Canada is a big place------Where???

"Where" was Toronto, in the early to mid-1950s, through a combination
of ceilidh dancing (usually under some form of military sponsorship)
and SCD in the Rosedale Presbyterian Church Hall. This was before the
establishment of the Toronto Branch (Association). Too bad I can't
remember the exact year, as my half-century mark must be coming up
soon!

In the "exotic" - or at least less usual dance locations was the
United Arab Emirates - where I was on the Abu Dhabi St. Andrew's
Society SCD demo team in the late 1980s. I can remember doing demos -
for free dinners and drinks - at Burns Night celebrations on three
successive evenings one January, and also dancing at the Dubai
Highland Games!

Ian McHaffie
mchaffie@sympatico.ca

--

When did you start?

Message 32410 · Elainerb · 6 Nov 2002 02:26:04 · Top

I started in my mum's class in Pumpherston, in West Lothian, then in South
Queensferry. I was around 4 when I used to dance up and down the side of the
class. By 12, I was on the dem team dancing with 'Mr Russell' my Vice
Principal in High School. ( I was shorter then!!!!!)

Like Marjorie I stopped in my late teens, but danced in College (Miss M was
the guest teacher ) .

In my late twenties, I found the Northern Virginia Branch in the States, and
have been dancing and teaching ever since.

Can't imagine my life without dancin' or the friends I have made through
it!!!!!

Elaine (Brunken)

When did you start?

Message 32414 · John Sturrock · 6 Nov 2002 08:39:17 · Top

I started in 1946 at a class held in the Queen's Hotel, Dundee. The
building was semi-derelict, having been a barracks during the war. Whenever
I smell - which isn't often - that combination of damp, mould, 'drains',
and leaking gas, I'm transported straight back to my childhood ! The
teacher, Miss Kinnisson, never referred to pas de basque as paddy bah, but
always as Right Cross Beats, a phrase I still use in my own teaching today.

Going up to Big School in 1951, I found that the English Master / Art Master
/ Choir Master / Dancing Master was ' Mr Iain Stuart Robertson '. Between
1947 and 1961, when he moved south to England, I would estimate that he
succeeded in converting about half of each year's intake to SCD. That
would be about 350 boys, although, alas, I only know of two others still
dancing today. I vividly remember him delivering one English lesson in Full
Fig, explaining that he had a taxi waiting outside to whisk him to Holyrood
Palace to dance for the Queen.

Fortunately, my University had an RSCDS-style class - and I never stopped

John Sturrock
Cupar UK

When did you start?

Message 32444 · ron.mackey · 6 Nov 2002 22:44:40 · Top

> Going up to Big School in 1951, I found that the English Master / Art Master
> / Choir Master / Dancing Master was ' Mr Iain Stuart Robertson '. Between
> 1947 and 1961, when he moved south to England, I would estimate that he
> succeeded in converting about half of each year's intake to SCD. That

John,
Was this the name person for one of the tunes for The Robertson
Rant? I cannot find my copy of the dance at the moment but I seem to
remember another of the tunes being named for Maidie Logie Robertson.

For those who like to 'Get it right' please note the Definite Article
and the singular family Robertson. Not like The Montgomeries'
Rant!! :)

Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
39, Grove Park Road,
Mottingham
London SE9 4NS

When did you start?

Message 32454 · Norman Dahl · 7 Nov 2002 02:11:06 · Top

I started in 1947 (aged 14) as a cadet at the Royal Naval College,
Dartmouth (UK). It was a cadet only (i.e., no girls) activity in those
days. All I really remember about it is our habit turning our partner
with ferocious energy, in the hope of causing him to fly off and hit
one of the stone pillars in the Quarterdeck, as the hall in which we
danced was known. This was not easy, given that your partner was trying
to do the same thing, and success was loudly acclaimed. "O tempora, o
mores"!

I gave up SCD when I left the College, and only started again
(considerably more sedately) in 1991 in the South of France.

---
Norman Dahl
Brisbane, Australia

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
-- George Eliot
---

When did you start?

Message 32462 · Pia Walker · 7 Nov 2002 14:10:09 · Top

A case of Flying Scotsman, The?????

Pia

All I really remember about it is our habit turning our partner
> with ferocious energy, in the hope of causing him to fly off and hit
> one of the stone pillars in the Quarterdeck, as the hall in which we
> danced was known. This was not easy, given that your partner was trying
> to do the same thing, and success was loudly acclaimed. "O tempora, o
> mores"!
>
> > ---
> Norman Dahl
> Brisbane, Australia
>
> It is never too late to be what you might have been.
> -- George Eliot
> ---

Right Cross Beats?

Message 32455 · hways · 7 Nov 2002 02:17:34 · Top

John Sturrock wrote:
The
> teacher, Miss Kinnisson, never referred to pas de basque as paddy bah, but
> always as Right Cross Beats, a phrase I still use in my own teaching
today.

I would need an explanation to understand that term. Sounds more like a
boxing lesson.

Harry

> I started in 1946 at a class held in the Queen's Hotel, Dundee. The
> building was semi-derelict, having been a barracks during the war.
Whenever
> I smell - which isn't often - that combination of damp, mould,
'drains',
> and leaking gas, I'm transported straight back to my childhood ! The
> teacher, Miss Kinnisson, never referred to pas de basque as paddy bah, but
> always as Right Cross Beats, a phrase I still use in my own teaching
today.

> Going up to Big School in 1951, I found that the English Master / Art
Master
> / Choir Master / Dancing Master was ' Mr Iain Stuart Robertson '.
Between
> 1947 and 1961, when he moved south to England, I would estimate that he
> succeeded in converting about half of each year's intake to SCD. That
> would be about 350 boys, although, alas, I only know of two others still
> dancing today. I vividly remember him delivering one English lesson in
Full
> Fig, explaining that he had a taxi waiting outside to whisk him to
Holyrood
> Palace to dance for the Queen.
>
> Fortunately, my University had an RSCDS-style class - and I never
stopped

> John Sturrock
> Cupar UK

When did you start?

Message 32447 · Brian Charlton · 6 Nov 2002 23:15:11 · Top

G'Day, All,

I started when I was doing my National Service in Catterick Camp in
Yorkshire from 1953-1955.

I was persuaded to go along to the Church of Scotland Canteen after
(Anglican) choir practice and continued to dance through the 2 years.

I later went to a week long course at a SYHA Hostel in Troon in 1958. I knew
of no SCD in the area I was living (Warminster until 1956, then Street to
1958 and Harwell thereafter). I came to Australia in 1966 and re-started SCD
in 1985, with my wife, who had soem experience as a schoolgirl in NE
England.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia.