strathspey Archive: Starting Age

Starting Age

Message 32317 · Ruary laidlaw · 3 Nov 2002 05:02:47 · Top

My brother and I started dancing at about the age of 10 or 11 in New
Zealand. My mother Margaret Laidlaw was the tutor so we had to!!!!! I
have been dancing for nearly 50 years!!!!

Dancing Feet Ruary

45 Whitaker St.
KIHIKIHI
New Zealand

Phone:064-7-871-8396

Starting Age

Message 32319 · Catherine · 3 Nov 2002 05:56:44 · Top

I also started in New Zealand at 10 years old and am still dancing 30+ years
on. My daughter started at 4, but by 9 was not really interested any more.
Hopefully she may start again in adulthood.
Catherine Linnen
catara@paradise.net.nz
----- Original Message -----
From: Ruary Laidlaw <rsrl@xtra.co.nz>
To: Strathspey List <strathspey@strathspey.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 5:02 PM
Subject: Re Starting Age

> My brother and I started dancing at about the age of 10 or 11 in New
> Zealand. My mother Margaret Laidlaw was the tutor so we had to!!!!! I
> have been dancing for nearly 50 years!!!!
>
> Dancing Feet Ruary
>
> 45 Whitaker St.
> KIHIKIHI
> New Zealand
>
> Phone:064-7-871-8396

Starting Age

Message 32378 · Andrew Smith · 5 Nov 2002 13:29:56 · Top

I was started at 13. My objection that dancing was girls' stuff was (
fortunately) over-ruled, and in those days, 50 years ago, it was "Dae's yer
tellt." SCD has been a tremendous part of my life, and continues to be so.
Andrew,
Bristol, UK.