strathspey Archive: White Dresses

White Dresses

Message 32245 · Ruary laidlaw · 28 Oct 2002 08:02:30 · Top

Kia ora Everyone!

I an interested in the tradition of the wearing of white dresses by Scottish
Country Dancing women. Does anybody have any information about where/when
this began?

Mary-Ann Laidlaw

45 Whitaker St.
KIHIKIHI
New Zealand

Phone:064-7-871-8396

White Dresses

Message 32246 · GOSS9 · 28 Oct 2002 11:17:14 · Top

Sorry, no documentation, But in my early days of SCD,
we were told that the white dresses came from the
costume preferred by Miss M in the early days for dem
teams. Later this concept was picked up by early TV
shows such as the "White Heather Club" before they
shifted to ersatz "air-sacks."

The early films (Jamieson - Border Book) I have seen
indicate that women wore what ever "ball gowns" were
in style at the time, with a garnish of tartan added.
The "folk costume" of the early part of this century
seems to have been a shift over which was added a
skirt, and a number of pettycoats or aprons. The top
of the shift acted as a blouse over which a shawl was
added, ends crossed in front and tucked in at the
bottom.

Looking at old engravings, again the style was the
current fashion, with the only men in kilts shown
doing foursome reel. One of Jamieson´s film does have
men in kilts, but they, and/or the kilts, are army.

White Dresses

Message 32247 · Pia Walker · 28 Oct 2002 13:05:30 · Top

Isn't there something about the white dresses being "Sunday Best" - and
therefore worn when you were dancing - I seem also to remember that in an
old drawing from New Larnark mills, seeing both boys and girls from the
mills doing SCD in white tunic like dresses. I think that would be about
250 years ago.

Pia
> Sorry, no documentation, But in my early days of SCD,
> we were told that the white dresses came from the
> costume preferred by Miss M in the early days for dem
> teams. Later this concept was picked up by early TV
> shows such as the "White Heather Club" before they
> shifted to ersatz "air-sacks."
>
> The early films (Jamieson - Border Book) I have seen
> indicate that women wore what ever "ball gowns" were
> in style at the time, with a garnish of tartan added.
> The "folk costume" of the early part of this century
> seems to have been a shift over which was added a
> skirt, and a number of pettycoats or aprons. The top
> of the shift acted as a blouse over which a shawl was
> added, ends crossed in front and tucked in at the
> bottom.
>
> Looking at old engravings, again the style was the
> current fashion, with the only men in kilts shown
> doing foursome reel. One of Jamieson´s film does have
> men in kilts, but they, and/or the kilts, are army.

White Dresses

Message 32275 · Alex Tweedly · 30 Oct 2002 18:22:36 · Top

At 12:06 28/10/2002 +0000, Pia Walker wrote:
>Isn't there something about the white dresses being "Sunday Best" - and
>therefore worn when you were dancing - I seem also to remember that in an
>old drawing from New Larnark mills, seeing both boys and girls from the
>mills doing SCD in white tunic like dresses. I think that would be about
>250 years ago.

It would be less than 200 years ago (the mill was built earlier - but the
school didn't open until after 1800. The white tunics were the school
uniform (for girls and boys), not just for dancing.

see http://www.newlanark.org/kids/robertowen.htm for the photo of dancing

-- Alex Tweedly (long ago ex-Lanark :-)

White Dresses

Message 32276 · GOSS9 · 30 Oct 2002 19:02:47 · Top

At one time, when the L.A. Branch Dem team got tired
of "frump" that would make even an anorexic look
heavy, the women agreed on a dress, one of
those "simplicity" patterns one buys at yardage
stores, they reversed the system by starting with the
plaid that each woman prefered, then selected a
different shade for each woman that was compatible.
After all no one is making the men´s kilts all look
the same.

White Dresses

Message 32288 · Pia Walker · 31 Oct 2002 09:54:22 · Top

Thanks - I was too lazy to look it up in my notes - but I can recommend
going there to any visitor - it is a great experience.

Pia
> At 12:06 28/10/2002 +0000, Pia Walker wrote:
> >Isn't there something about the white dresses being "Sunday Best" - and
> >therefore worn when you were dancing - I seem also to remember that in an
> >old drawing from New Larnark mills, seeing both boys and girls from the
> >mills doing SCD in white tunic like dresses. I think that would be about
> >250 years ago.
>
> It would be less than 200 years ago (the mill was built earlier - but the
> school didn't open until after 1800. The white tunics were the school
> uniform (for girls and boys), not just for dancing.
>
> see http://www.newlanark.org/kids/robertowen.htm for the photo of dancing
>
> -- Alex Tweedly (long ago ex-Lanark :-)

White Dresses

Message 32262 · Ian Thomson · 29 Oct 2002 03:27:12 · Top

I don't know how it originated. Possibly Miss Milligan thought they looked
nice. Sue and I think they look like something you would wear on a convent
outing!! She hates them.
This is the sort of thing that makes SCD seem old-fashioned and unappealing.
Happy dancing - but not in white dresses,
Ian

At 08:02 28/10/02 +1300, you wrote:
>Kia ora Everyone!
>
>I an interested in the tradition of the wearing of white dresses by Scottish
>Country Dancing women. Does anybody have any information about where/when
>this began?
>
>Mary-Ann Laidlaw
>
>45 Whitaker St.
>KIHIKIHI
>New Zealand
>
>Phone:064-7-871-8396

This e-mail has been checked and passed by Norton Anti-Virus 2002

Ian Thomson,
"Braeburn",
27 Thomas Place,
Upper Kedron,
Queensland 4055, Australia.

Ph. (07) 3851 1164

E-mail: i.thomson@qut.edu.au
or ithomson@bretts.net.au

White Dresses

Message 32273 · Marie Pottinger · 30 Oct 2002 17:11:23 · Top

Do white dresses make SCD seem 'old fashioned and unappealing'? Assuming
the context here is demos, particularly for people not familiar with SCD -
white dresses with tartan, kilts with white shirts make a group of dancers
look more like a team. My only real objection to dance teams wearing white
dresses is that, while being in a similar style they should still be made
for the wearer (wherever possible) ie a specified height from the ground
(rather than length of skirt) and a decent fit. (and what else would you
want to wear with tartan?)

M x.

----------------------
J. Marie Pottinger
15 Leabrook Road, Dronfield, S18 8YS
01246 412415 / 07752 854721
http://thisisdoncaster.co.uk/ed/leisure/museums/412729/1,1,page.html

White Dresses

Message 32279 · ron.mackey · 31 Oct 2002 00:13:46 · Top

> ie a specified height from the ground
> (rather than length of skirt) and a decent fit. (and what else would you
> want to wear with tartan?)
>
> M x.

Marie
After a long time connected with the wearers of tartan one would
say (what would some persons _not_ wear with tartan?)
I once saw a lady wearing a broad Dress MacMillan sash (i.e.red and
yellow in ~equal amounts) over a candy pink, full length gown.
It's burned into the retinas! One only has to think
of it and close the eyes and .......... Achhhhh...!!
I can easily remember some more recent ughs!
I believe that ladies who wish to wear a tartan sash
should either wear white or make sure they take the sash for
comparison when choosing material for a dress. Remembering the many
shades, under different lights, of even one tartan is an inexact art!
Of course, when there is a dem team where the ladies often
lend/borrow dresses to wear with various sashes it is as well to wear
white - you know it makes sense! - as the advert. says. :)
Having said all that, I do not think it a good idea to remove the
sash and dance in the unadorned white dress. That would look - shall
we say - turn of the century? The last century, of course!

Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch (and Croydon)
39, Grove Park Road,
Mottingham
London SE9 4NS

White Dresses

Message 32282 · Volleyballjerry · 31 Oct 2002 02:45:50 · Top

...and 'twas just asked what else one would want to wear with tartan...

The women of Channel Coast Scottish Dancers, which I direct, have (in
addition to their whites, which, unlike some of those white dresses that look
as though they were cut from bedsheets, are rather lacy affairs) two
different dark green dresses, one a summery lacy dress similar to the white
one, another a more formal velveteen. The men, when not in formal attire,
have short-sleeved light green shirts with epaulets. One of our women very
cleverly fashioned loops from the dark green velveteen that slip onto the
epaulets to create a militaresque stripe. The white is actually the most
recent addition; the two greens came first. I myself prefer the greens,
which look quite striking with the variety of tartan sashes.

Robb Quint
C.C.S.D., Ventura County, CA, USA

White Dresses

Message 32285 · Patricia Ruggiero · 31 Oct 2002 05:05:05 · Top

Robb, those outfits sound very appealing. The women in our group have three
different dress possibilities, too. Like you, we also didn't want a white
cloth that looked like bedsheets; ours is a medium weight, slightly
off-white damask.

That green under the tartan sashes must look quite dramatic.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia
USA

Robb wrote:
>The women of Channel Coast Scottish Dancers, which I direct, have (in
addition to their whites, which, unlike some of those white dresses that
look as though they were cut from bedsheets, are rather lacy affairs) two
different dark green dresses, one a summery lacy dress similar to the white
one, another a more formal velveteen. [snip to end]

White Dresses

Message 32287 · T L Harris · 31 Oct 2002 09:39:56 · Top

Some of our dem team ladies refused to continue wearing white dresses ("milkmaid outfits", as they were referred to), both because of the colour and the style. After much debate, we finally settled on a princess style dress in a moss crepe material, with each lady chosing a colour to go with her own sash. The colours chosen have so far been shades of blue or green. We introduced these new outfits at our ball recently. I'm told it looked very nice - it's hard to tell when you're actually part of the dem team yourself.

Terry Lynne Harris
Pretoria, South Africa

White Dresses

Message 32290 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 31 Oct 2002 17:36:19 · Top

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, T L Harris wrote:

> Some of our dem team ladies refused to continue wearing white dresses
> ("milkmaid outfits", as they were referred to), both because of the
> colour and the style. After much debate, we finally settled on a
> princess style dress in a moss crepe material, with each lady chosing a
> colour to go with her own sash. The colours chosen have so far been
> shades of blue or green. We introduced these new outfits at our ball
> recently. I'm told it looked very nice - it's hard to tell when you're
> actually part of the dem team yourself.

I remembering sitting next to Miss Milligan while she was looking at
dancers in the Boston area -- that was when we all had white dresses and
all wore them. she commented that white dresses should be for girls and
younger women. At the time, I was in my late twenties, and she obviously
didn't consider me a "younger woman." (I was not wearing white at the
time.)

I think that the adoption of white only for dem dresses is a case of the
followers hearing part of the leader's "rule," and following it slavishly.
We tend to do the same thing with the "rules" of dancing, don't we?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

White Dresses

Message 32291 · Adam Hughes · 31 Oct 2002 17:58:21 · Top

Ruary Laidlaw wrote:
> I an interested in the tradition of the wearing of white
> dresses by Scottish Country Dancing women. Does anybody
> have any information about where/when this began?

And then...

Priscilla M. Burrage wrote:
> Miss Milligan ... commented that white dresses should be for girls and
> younger women. At the time, I was in my late twenties, and she obviously
> didn't consider me a "younger woman." (I was not wearing white at the
> time.)

I thought SCD white dresses were derived from those worn by debutantes
in the 19th and early 20th centuries in the UK. I've seen film footage
of young ladies going to their first society function in white dresses
from the 20s or 30s, although they were closer in style to modern
wedding dresses than the plain sort of dress worn for demming these days.

The best link I could find this afternoon was
http://www.fashion-era.com/the_mood_of_edwardian_society.htm (Being
presented at court).

It has a picture which doesn't really back up my prejudices, since it
just shows young women in pale dresses (black and white photo) and has
no words describing the clothes. But after Priscilla's story, I thought
I'd mention it.

(one month's S'spey posts in one morning. My brain hurts.)

Adam
Cambridge, UK.

White Dresses

Message 32292 · Edward Fryer · 31 Oct 2002 18:11:51 · Top

Delurking here: I'm a reeler who also goes to occasional London (UK)
Society-style classes.

With regard to the white dress thing, it is interesting to note that some of
the Scottish reeling balls, especially the older ones (established in the
1870s or so) encourage white ball-dresses. Could it be that this tradition
was noted, and followed?

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband.

White Dresses

Message 32294 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 1 Nov 2002 15:46:11 · Top

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Adam Hughes wrote:

> Ruary Laidlaw wrote:
> > I an interested in the tradition of the wearing of white
> > dresses by Scottish Country Dancing women. Does anybody
> > have any information about where/when this began?
>
> And then...
>
> Priscilla M. Burrage wrote:
> > Miss Milligan ... commented that white dresses should be for girls and
> > younger women. At the time, I was in my late twenties, and she obviously
> > didn't consider me a "younger woman." (I was not wearing white at the
> > time.)
>
> I thought SCD white dresses were derived from those worn by debutantes
> in the 19th and early 20th centuries in the UK. I've seen film footage
> of young ladies going to their first society function in white dresses
> from the 20s or 30s, although they were closer in style to modern
> wedding dresses than the plain sort of dress worn for demming these days.

They probably werre derived from these dresses. However, the mothers of
the young ladies and the elderly spinster sisters, ie, over 26, did not
wear white. The first society function was and still is at about age 16
to 18. (I still remember being 14 and being put down by a sophisticated
deb of age 17. The pain of being a teenager!)

How many of our dem teams have women of that age in them? Rather, how
many have women whose figures have already "blossomed" dancing in white
laundry bags?

Yes, I'm prejudiced against white. A pale shade of color does so much
more for the unified appearance of the team than the dramatic stark white.
and I agree that the color should suit the woman wearing it. Even the
chorus of professional dancers wears differing colors in profomance these
days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

White Dresses

Message 32295 · simon scott · 1 Nov 2002 17:31:15 · Top

In the midst of, what appears to be, an opposition to white dresses the
Vancouver Demonstration team ladies do indeed appear in white. The
ladies on our team, which I direct, do have alternate and informal
costumes, however they have just had made beautiful new formal attire.
These are very elegant full length white dresses. They are worn with red
shoes and long white satin gloves up to above the elbows. Their
individual choice of tartan sashes are worn from the shoulder, (not
around the bust) one end being held at the back of the waist and the
other hanging from the shoulder down towards the floor.

I certainly don't say that this is what "should" be worn at all. Each
group should make their own selection. I don't think white needs to be
frumpy and, much at my recommendation, our team ladies now ware white on
most formal occasions. These are only worn when the men are in full
dress. They look very elegant indeed and we have had many favorable
comments.

Simon Scott
Vancouver

White Dresses

Message 32304 · Bryan McAlister · 2 Nov 2002 17:42:21 · Top

In article <Pine.A41.4.44.0211010936570.41418-100000@elk.uvm.edu>,
Priscilla M. Burrage <pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu> writes
>On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Adam Hughes wrote:
>
>> Ruary Laidlaw wrote:
>> > I an interested in the tradition of the wearing of white
>> > dresses by Scottish Country Dancing women. Does anybody
>> > have any information about where/when this began?

There is a paperback book called Highland Halls and Village Balls by
Wallace Lockhart . published by Luath Press
In a chapter on a dance group called the Dancers of Don he says "To the
Dancers of Don, incidentally, goes the credit of ladies first appearing
as a demonstration team in below the calf length white dresses"

It appears the D. of D. were formed in 1933 can any of you remember
wearing white before that?
--
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk

White Dresses

Message 32310 · GOSS9 · 2 Nov 2002 19:26:13 · Top

Having little prenatal memory, I will have to rely on
post partem where I seem to remember some photos, pre
1933 showing white dresses. I do not have these to
hand, but there may be some in either Miss M´s
biography or the booklet attatched to the Jubilee
Dances. If someone has these accessable, please check
and let us know.

White Dresses

Message 32315 · hways · 3 Nov 2002 01:51:14 · Top

From: "Bryan McAlister"
> There is a paperback book called Highland Halls and Village Balls by
> Wallace Lockhart . published by Luath Press

Does anyone know of a source for this book? I have been trying to find a
copy for some time now.

Harry

White Dresses

Message 32320 · Alasdair Graham · 3 Nov 2002 13:18:57 · Top

This book can be ordered from the publisher at
http://www.luath.co.uk/music.htm

In the book 'Scotland Through Her Country Dances' by George S. Emmerson
(page 26) there is a quote by Susan Sibbald* about the wearing of the sash
at a Caledonian Ball in London around 1805:

" We ladies wore white dresses; the scarf, not very wide, was over the right
shoulder, and tied with a loose knot under the left arm, fringed ends, one
longer than the other; a sash, not long, round our waist, tied behind."

* Memoirs of Susan Sibbald, London, 1926.

Alasdair Graham,
Scotland.
http://www.helensburgh-rscds.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

> > There is a paperback book called Highland Halls and Village Balls by
> > Wallace Lockhart . published by Luath Press
>
> Does anyone know of a source for this book? I have been trying to find a
> copy for some time now.
>
> Harry

White Dresses

Message 32323 · seonaid.gent · 3 Nov 2002 18:35:24 · Top

For some extra encouragement to visit New Lanark - next Sunday (10th Nov) there will be some SCD demonstrations by New Scotland (Edinburgh Uni) who are staying there for the weekend. I think the performance is around 1pm, but I'm not entirely sure it has been finalised.

Seonaid

> Thanks - I was too lazy to look it up in my notes - but I can recommend
>going there to any visitor - it is a great experience.
>
>Pia

--------------------

White Dresses

Message 32327 · GOSS9 · 3 Nov 2002 19:29:59 · Top

Harry, I seem to remember getting it at St Andrews
Summer School at the RSCDS store, perhaps their old
inventory can be of use.

I don´t recommend it, as it is sort of a chatty
poorly documented item best designed for reading at
airports or nightstands in case of insomnia.

Highland Halls and Village Balls - was White Dresses

Message 32321 · Ian McHaffie · 3 Nov 2002 14:38:04 · Top

I have no idea if Highland Halls and Village Balls is in print or out
of print. It was (I think) first published in 1985, with another
edition in 1997 - so it may be in print. If you want to get it (or
any other book) second hand, try

http://www.abebooks.com

I have made several purchases there over the past year or so and find
it very satisfactory.

There are 7 copies of Highland Halls and Village Balls listed there at present.

Email me privately if you want more information on that service -
although much of the information is available on that site.

Ian McHaffie
mchaffie@sympatico.ca

--

Highland Halls and Village Balls - was White Dresses

Message 32322 · Lee Fuell · 3 Nov 2002 15:16:47 · Top

In August 1999, I bought a copy at a gift shop in, IIRC, Kingussie, so it
seemed to have been in print then.

Lee

____

--

Highland Halls and Village Balls - was White Dresses

Message 32329 · Pia Walker · 3 Nov 2002 21:28:00 · Top

Luath Press Ltd - has the address:
543/2 Castlehill
The Royal Mile
Edinburgh EH1! 2ND
www.luath.co.uk
email: gavin.macdougall@luath.co.uk

They do mailorder

the ISBN of Highland Halls is: 0 946487 12 X and still looks to be
available

Pia

____

> >From: "Bryan McAlister"
> > > There is a paperback book called Highland Halls and Village Balls by
> >> Wallace Lockhart . published by Luath Press
> >
> >Does anyone know of a source for this book? I have been trying to find a
> >copy for some time now.
> >
> >Harry
>

> --

Highland Halls and Village Balls - was White Dresses

Message 32372 · T L Harris · 5 Nov 2002 08:18:05 · Top

The June 2002 Catalogue and Price List from the RSCDS lists "Highland Balls & Village Halls" (G W Lockhart) under "Non RSCDS Items: Publications", price 6.95 pounds (the same price as Luath).

WH Smith also lists it (also 6.95 pounds): http://www.whsmith.co.uk

(By the way, it's "Highland Balls and Village Halls", not "Highland Halls and Village Balls".)

Terry Lynne Harris
Pretoria, South Africa

>>> hways@ix.netcom.com 02-11-02 11:55 >>>

From: "Bryan McAlister"
> There is a paperback book called Highland Halls and Village Balls by
> Wallace Lockhart . published by Luath Press

Does anyone know of a source for this book? I have been trying to find a
copy for some time now.

Harry

Highland Halls and Village Balls - was White Dresses

Message 32474 · hways · 8 Nov 2002 02:12:09 · Top

Hello Ian,

Thanks for the information.
I have ordered the book from the publisher's web site;
www.luath.co.uk/index.htm

Harry

____