strathspey Archive: past posts

past posts

Message 32023 · Patricia Ruggiero · 4 Oct 2002 01:20:14 · Top

Have I entered the Twilight Zone? This afternoon I received one of my posts
from quite some time ago (subject: Moment of Truth) and just now I received
one from Richard Walker with an attachment for SCD cartoons that I
recognized from over a year ago. Strathspey's address doesn't appear
anywhere in either of them. Anyone else receiving stray old posts?

Pat

past posts

Message 32024 · Steve Wyrick · 4 Oct 2002 01:57:21 · Top

Patricia Ruggiero wrote:

> Have I entered the Twilight Zone? This afternoon I received one of my posts
> from quite some time ago (subject: Moment of Truth) and just now I received
> one from Richard Walker with an attachment for SCD cartoons that I
> recognized from over a year ago. Strathspey's address doesn't appear
> anywhere in either of them. Anyone else receiving stray old posts?
>
> Pat

Yes Pat, I got that one supposedly from you, with a nasty-looking attachment
which I didn't open. I suspect that somebody who subscribes to the
Strathspey list has a computer infected with either Klez or Bugbear. -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee -- that says: Fool me once, shame on [pause] shame on you. [pause]
Fool me... you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush

past posts

Message 32028 · Rebecca Sager · 5 Oct 2002 00:50:36 · Top

I got the one from Richard Walker. I imagine I'm in his address book as
we're neighbors, relatively speaking. Norton Antivirus detected the
Bugbear virus when I clicked on it so I ditched it fast.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 16:50:59 -0700 Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@ca.astound.net>
writes:
> Patricia Ruggiero wrote:
>
> > Have I entered the Twilight Zone? This afternoon I received one
> of my posts
> > from quite some time ago (subject: Moment of Truth) and just now I
> received
> > one from Richard Walker with an attachment for SCD cartoons that
> > recognized from over a year ago. Strathspey's address doesn't
> appear
> > anywhere in either of them. Anyone else receiving stray old
> posts?
> >
> > Pat
>
> Yes Pat, I got that one supposedly from you, with a nasty-looking
> attachment
> which I didn't open. I suspect that somebody who subscribes to the
> Strathspey list has a computer infected with either Klez or Bugbear.
> -Steve
> --
> Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
>
> "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas,
> probably in
> Tennessee -- that says: Fool me once, shame on [pause] shame on you.
> [pause]
> Fool me... you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush

past posts

Message 32031 · Marilynn Knight · 4 Oct 2002 14:16:00 · Top

I just did, Pat... Does that mean a virus opened those and then spewed them
out?

Have I entered the Twilight Zone? This afternoon I received one of my posts
from quite some time ago (subject: Moment of Truth) and just now I received
one from Richard Walker with an attachment for SCD cartoons that I
recognized from over a year ago. Strathspey's address doesn't appear
anywhere in either of them. Anyone else receiving stray old posts?

Pat

past posts

Message 32035 · Steve Wyrick · 5 Oct 2002 03:03:23 · Top

Rebecca Sager wrote:

> I got the one from Richard Walker. I imagine I'm in his address book as
> we're neighbors, relatively speaking. Norton Antivirus detected the
> Bugbear virus when I clicked on it so I ditched it fast.
>
> Becky
>
> Becky Sager
> Marietta GA USA

Bugbear forges addresses, so I think it's likely the infected computer
belongs to someone else on the list who had Richard's and Pat's messages
saved. I can't believe how fast this one's spreading; a lot faster than
Klez. I subscribe to 6 mail lists and at least 3 of them have members whose
computers have caught Bugbear, yet this thing has only been around for a few
days!

Anselm, what's the feasibility of either setting the list server so that it
doesn't pass on attachments, or restricting the attachment size to a small
value (40k or so)?
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California

past posts

Message 32039 · Steve Wyrick · 5 Oct 2002 04:45:38 · Top

Oops, I wrote:

> Anselm, what's the feasibility of either setting the list server so that it
> doesn't pass on attachments, or restricting the attachment size to a small
> value (40k or so)?

But as Lydia Hedge pointed out, the List already doesn't allow attachments,
and the infected messages we're receiving aren't actually coming through the
list! -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California

past posts

Message 32045 · SMiskoe · 5 Oct 2002 20:32:54 · Top

A few months ago I got an email from a friend. The address was his previous
one. I opened it and found a blank so I emailed me friend and asked him to
resend it. He replied that he had never sent me an email, I should copy the
address for him so he could investigate it, and then delete the message. It
had been sent from Japan, had a vicious virus in it, someone was using old
addresses just to cause trouble.
This sounds like the same thing.
Cheers,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

past posts

Message 32048 · Martin.Sheffield · 6 Oct 2002 09:20:49 · Top

I too have received odd mails in the past few days from unknown origins;
this one foir example, with an apparently real name, but with towo
different addresses, followed by some illegible code -- and an attachment I
did not open !
Martin

>Nicola Heather <nh7330@courrier.usherb.ca>
>Subject: J'ai bu un peu trop hier!!!
>:
>:
> (...)
>I love you soooooo much.
>
>Hugs and kisses
>
>Nicola
>
>----------------------
>Nicola Heather
>nh7330@bristol.ac.uk

past posts

Message 32047 · Pia Walker · 6 Oct 2002 13:11:41 · Top

Hi guys

I am now clean - I received the Bugbear from a detective inspector from
Denmark - and thereafter from a few others - apparently on the 2nd of
October Norton got inundated with virus queries - and several of my
colleagues etc had many in one day. I did close down immediately I realized
something was wrong and have lost about a days work to sort it out.

I apologize if I gave my "germs" to anyone - it was as you well know totally
unintentionally.

If you are infected, go to symantec.co.uk and download their "remover" - it
does the job well and relatively easy - I downloaded - restarted - clicked
on icon and away I went.

Best wishes

Pia
> I got the one from Richard Walker. I imagine I'm in his address book as
> we're neighbors, relatively speaking. Norton Antivirus detected the
> Bugbear virus when I clicked on it so I ditched it fast.
>
> Becky
>
> Becky Sager
> Marietta GA USA
>

> On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 16:50:59 -0700 Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@ca.astound.net>
> writes:
> > Patricia Ruggiero wrote:
> >
> > > Have I entered the Twilight Zone? This afternoon I received one
> > of my posts
> > > from quite some time ago (subject: Moment of Truth) and just now I
> > received
> > > one from Richard Walker with an attachment for SCD cartoons that
> > > recognized from over a year ago. Strathspey's address doesn't
> > appear
> > > anywhere in either of them. Anyone else receiving stray old
> > posts?
> > >
> > > Pat
> >
> > Yes Pat, I got that one supposedly from you, with a nasty-looking
> > attachment
> > which I didn't open. I suspect that somebody who subscribes to the
> > Strathspey list has a computer infected with either Klez or Bugbear.
> > -Steve
> > --
> > Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
> >
> > "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas,
> > probably in
> > Tennessee -- that says: Fool me once, shame on [pause] shame on you.
> > [pause]
> > Fool me... you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush

past posts

Message 32032 · Patricia Ruggiero · 4 Oct 2002 03:09:43 · Top

Steve wrote:

"Yes Pat, I got that one supposedly from you, with a nasty-looking
attachment which I didn't open. I suspect that somebody who subscribes to
the Strathspey list has a computer infected with either Klez or Bugbear."

Interesting. Mine didn't come with an attachment. Did you get the past
post from Richard Walker?

Pat

past posts

Message 32034 · T L Harris · 4 Oct 2002 08:16:35 · Top

Yes, I got it as well, together with an automated message from our virus check system to say that the message in question (subject: Moment of Truth) had the Bugbear virus on it.

Terry Lynne Harris
Pretoria, South Africa

>>> sjwyrick@ca.astound.net 04-10-02 01:50 >>>

Yes Pat, I got that one supposedly from you, with a nasty-looking attachment which I didn't open. I suspect that somebody who subscribes to the Strathspey list has a computer infected with either Klez or Bugbear. -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California

past posts

Message 32036 · Catherine · 4 Oct 2002 05:40:58 · Top

I have also received a "stray post" which did contain a virus, so be aware!
Catheerine Linnen
catara@paradise.net.nz
> > Have I entered the Twilight Zone? This afternoon I received one of my
posts
> > from quite some time ago (subject: Moment of Truth) and just now I
received
> > one from Richard Walker with an attachment for SCD cartoons that I
> > recognized from over a year ago. Strathspey's address doesn't appear
> > anywhere in either of them. Anyone else receiving stray old posts?
> >
> > Pat
>
> Yes Pat, I got that one supposedly from you, with a nasty-looking
attachment
> which I didn't open. I suspect that somebody who subscribes to the
> Strathspey list has a computer infected with either Klez or
Bugbear. -Steve
> --
> Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
>
> "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in
> Tennessee -- that says: Fool me once, shame on [pause] shame on you.
[pause]
> Fool me... you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush

past posts

Message 32038 · Dianna Shipman · 4 Oct 2002 02:33:17 · Top

The one I received from Richard about cartoons - my computer said was a
virus,
Dianna
Houston, TX