strathspey Archive: Demonstration Dances

Demonstration Dances

Message 30511 · Psykesfam1 · 24 Apr 2002 20:18:12 · Top

Thanks to an enquiry on Strathspey and the ensueing correct instructions to
Eilean Donan Castle from Eric Ferguson and Malcolm Brown (thank you both!) I
have discovered a really nice demo dance.

This led me to wonder what other favourite demo dances you all have -
ideally, short, interesting to watch with all the team dancing to good
music! Talking about music, what are your suggestions for 3 x 32 dances? I've
found very little to choose from and wonder whether maybe a band somewhere
has ever produced a "music for Demos" type CD?

I'd appreciate your input -

Heather
Lady Lake SCD, FL

Demonstration Dances

Message 30512 · Melanie Pratt · 24 Apr 2002 20:30:59 · Top

Heather,

One of my favorite 3 x 32 dances is a lovely little strathspey called
'Minister on
the Loch.' It is a 3c dance and just flows beautifully. The music for it
is on
the Music Makars CD titled 'Jig for Joy.' Another 3 x 32 strathspey that I
like
is 'MacDonald of the Isles.' Cannot think offhand which music our leader
uses. I like 'MacDonald of the Isles' because the middle couple, not the
top
couple start and end the dance. Like 'Minister', it flows beautifully and
is fun
to watch as well as dance.

Sláinte,
Melanie the Seanachie
Heather 'n' Thistle RSCDS
Columbus OH

<snip>
> This led me to wonder what other favourite demo dances you all have -
> ideally, short, interesting to watch with all the team dancing to good
> music! Talking about music, what are your suggestions for 3 x 32 dances?
> I've
> found very little to choose from and wonder whether maybe a band somewhere
>
> has ever produced a "music for Demos" type CD?
>
> I'd appreciate your input -
>
> Heather
> Lady Lake SCD, FL

Demonstration Dances

Message 30526 · Carol Usher · 25 Apr 2002 04:49:47 · Top

Two other lovely to watch 3x32 strathspeys are Cherry
Bank Garden and Wind on Loch Fyne.

Posties Jig and Bees of Maggie Knocheter - both 4x32s
have good audience appeal.
Carol

--- Melanie Pratt <mpratt@ohiohistory.org> wrote:
> Heather,
>
> One of my favorite 3 x 32 dances is a lovely little
> strathspey called
> 'Minister on
> the Loch.' It is a 3c dance and just flows
> beautifully. The music for it
> is on
> the Music Makars CD titled 'Jig for Joy.' Another 3
> x 32 strathspey that I
> like
> is 'MacDonald of the Isles.' Cannot think offhand
> which music our leader
> uses. I like 'MacDonald of the Isles' because the
> middle couple, not the
> top
> couple start and end the dance. Like 'Minister', it
> flows beautifully and
> is fun
> to watch as well as dance.
>
> Sláinte,
> Melanie the Seanachie
> Heather 'n' Thistle RSCDS
> Columbus OH

http://games.yahoo.com/

Demonstration Dances

Message 30527 · Paula Jacobson · 25 Apr 2002 08:54:35 · Top

Heather,

There is a video with accompanying CD containing several medleys for
dems. The medleys are shown with ideas for performance, along with a
book which explains the transitions used to link different dances. The
music on the CD can be used for your own performances and all tunes are
traditional, so there are no copywrite concerns. The Video/book/CD is
entitled "Performance Dancing With The Red Thistle Dancers" and can be
found on the San Francisco Branch website: www.rscds-sf.org in the
Bookstore section.

Paula Jacobson
SF Branch

... wonder whether maybe a band somewhere
has ever produced a "music for Demos" type CD?

I'd appreciate your input -

Heather
Lady Lake SCD, FL

Demonstration Dances

Message 30547 · seonaid.gent · 25 Apr 2002 19:15:19 · Top

Hi Heather,

Our favourite is Schiehallion - a bit of Strathspey and Reel, a wee bit of Highland. It's usually one of the first complicated dance we teach our begginners so that they can join in some dems too.

Seonaid

--------------------

Demonstration Dances

Message 30561 · Susan McKinnell · 26 Apr 2002 06:43:04 · Top

Another beautiful 3-couple strathspey is The Dancing Master of Moncton.
For quicktime demo dances, I like Tomalena (an interesting and fun 5
couple dance) and Inverneill House.
Sue

--
Susan McKinnell luvSCD@att.net http://suedan.com
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,

Demonstration Dances

Message 30513 · Marian Stroh · 24 Apr 2002 21:56:49 · Top

Any Good Tune". There aren't many 3x, but there are several 4x. We use 4x
and do 2 reps of one dance and 2 reps of another where they go well
together. We usually have 4 couples, but it even works with 3 couples.

Marian Stroh, Reno

Demonstration Dances

Message 30519 · Loren Wright · 25 Apr 2002 00:15:05 · Top

Terpsichore (Elke Baker & Liz Donaldson) has (have, for UKer's) a nice 3x32
song strathspey cut on their first (only?) CD, even though the listing on
the back says it's 8x32.

A couple quicktime suggestions: West's Hornpipe is a 4C dance, and even
though it has reels, they're mirror reels and easy to follow. Shiftin'
Bobbins is a 3-cpl dance, but it's easy to do once and to the bottom, and it
has that "picture" quality!

Loren Wright
Nashua, NH, USA