strathspey Archive: Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30198 · William & Shellagh Whyte · 28 Mar 2002 20:01:27 · Top

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of buying or designing a
portable wooden dance floor suitable for SCD that can be dismantled?
We need something for the garden for summer dancing, and inside for winter.
It must be constructed in such a way that two senior citizens can assemble
and dismantle it, and hopefully not too difficult to transport. A four metre
square would seem about the size required, even if that is not long enough
for "down the middle and up".
The local French charpentier says he can design and build one, but as one
might expect there is not much call for this item in our area, thus a lack
of experience!

Sugestions welcome.

Bill Whyte

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30199 · M.G. Mudrey, Jr. · 28 Mar 2002 20:11:26 · Top

1. Your biggest problem will be locking them together to stay together when
dancing. I have found no design the works well.

2. You will have a levelling problem.
a. Build a frame platform that is easy to level (it can by 2x4s)
and place the floor on the frame...the floor can then be fastened to the
frame by inset pegs/nails....
b. Level a section of ground thoroughly and place the floor on the
earth.

3. Dance on the earth/grass directly without a floor. It is not really
necessary. In English Country Dancing this is common.

Mike

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30200 · Adam Hughes · 28 Mar 2002 20:30:51 · Top

Try http://www.portablefloors.demon.co.uk/

I've danced on these floors (they do Sidmouth and Towersey Festivals)
and they vary in quality, from passable to excellent. The biggest
problem is getting the edges of the sections to match, so you don't
trip. Also the boards tend to be nailed to the frame, and so after a
while the flexing of the boards pushes the nails up, so you can trip on
them too.

I also think that unless you have an immaculately flat lawn, you will
have trouble leveling them (unless you are strong, fit senior citizens,
with a couple of friends to help).

I intended to hire a floor last year but it was too expensive.

Adam
Cambridge, UK.

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30201 · SnowshoeTS · 28 Mar 2002 20:55:05 · Top

My wife works at a Senior Center with carpeted floors over concrete

She needed a portable dance floor. We Varnished both sies of 8 4'x8'
sheets of 1/4 inch luan(phillapine mahogany ) plywood and attached some
plastic toothed "grippers" available at a local surplus store and made for
preventing computer anti-static floor pads from sliding.I have not yet had
time to fabricate corner locking mechanisms.This floor is set directly on a
carpeted surface.It can be arranged in a variety of configurations.The
carpeting provides some resilience so impact is not so great as that when
dancing on even a normal ( unsprung )hardwood floor. This dance surface does
require a relatively flat sub surface. It can be set up by 2 healthy middle
aged women or 3 65+ seniors in less than 1/2 hour including digging it out of
the storage room.It can be transported on top of a small station wagon or an
elderly Volvo Sedan with a roof pad.

So far my own SCD group has performed there as have a tap dance troupe, my
Morris team, a Scandanavian dance group , a square dance group, a swing dance
team and a Slavic dance group.The floor has been used for 4 or 5 senior
social dances. None of the groups has had any problems and several groups
have asked to borrow it.

Kirk Bachler
Twin Cities Branch,Minnesota,USA,RSCDS

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30220 · Andrew Smith · 30 Mar 2002 12:13:21 · Top

The only problem with Mike's no.3 is when the worms start to come up! I have
done dems on grass where they came up in droves ( sorry, I do not have a
collective noun for worms.)
Andrew,
Bristol, UK.
> 1. Your biggest problem will be locking them together to stay together
when
> dancing. I have found no design the works well.
>
> 2. You will have a levelling problem.
> a. Build a frame platform that is easy to level (it can by 2x4s)
> and place the floor on the frame...the floor can then be fastened to the
> frame by inset pegs/nails....
> b. Level a section of ground thoroughly and place the floor on
the
> earth.
>
> 3. Dance on the earth/grass directly without a floor. It is not really
> necessary. In English Country Dancing this is common.
>
> Mike

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30221 · SnowshoeTS · 30 Mar 2002 14:44:03 · Top

Perhaps SCD Dem teams could "enhance "their remuneration" or at least defray
expenses by harvesting and sellling the aforementioned worms to
fisher"people" in regions where live bait fishing is regularly practiced ;-]

Kirk Bachler
Twin Cities Branch,Minnesota,USA,RSCDS

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30223 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 30 Mar 2002 16:28:28 · Top

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Andrew Smith wrote:

> The only problem with Mike's no.3 is when the worms start to come up! I have
> done dems on grass where they came up in droves ( sorry, I do not have a
> collective noun for worms.)
> >
> > 3. Dance on the earth/grass directly without a floor. It is not really
> > necessary. In English Country Dancing this is common.

It is because of this phenomena (more than one worm or beastie) that I
devised the dance "As the Worm Turns," due to be published in Sylvia and
my next endeavor. (She's the music and I'm the choreography and words.)

As for when it will be published, we successfully delayed publication for
a couple of years now. . .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30226 · Kathleen Johnson · 31 Mar 2002 06:19:46 · Top

How about "wriggle" as a collective noun for worms?
Kingston, Ont., Canada

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30227 · SnowshoeTS · 31 Mar 2002 06:48:14 · Top

When they(worms) congregate they are more of a "tangle"or"snarl".
Or perhaps we of "cynical disposition"or at least some experience might call
the collective a"committee" (but that is too often ,in my experience, a"can't
of worms")
I Suppose "Synod of worms" might cause offence even when none is meant.
It's getting late- how about a "compost- it of worms"
(Please don't throw me off the list,Anselm!!)

Kirk Bachler
Twin Cities Branch,Minnesota,USA,RSCDS

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30228 · Tim Harrison · 31 Mar 2002 07:26:46 · Top

According to
Unbelievable! <http://www.unbelievable.com.au/>
The appropriate collective noun phrase is "a clew of worms"

Tim Harrison
Austin, Texas, USA

Wanted: a dismountable/portable wooden dance floor

Message 30231 · William & Shellagh Whyte · 31 Mar 2002 11:20:11 · Top

With this gem from Tim I hasten to declare this thread 'closed' so that we
finish on a high (or is it a low) ! We have moved from the modalities of
portable wooden floors to invertebrates and that is quite a leap. If no
closure where will we end up ?

Our thanks for all the responses, we will cogitate.

Bill Whyte