strathspey Archive: Wessex

Wessex

Message 29836 · ron.mackey · 7 Mar 2002 00:02:57 · Top

Hi,
I have been asked by two classes if I can supply the instructions
for a dance new to me and, I suspect, only known to a few from the
Bristol area. The Earl and Countess of Wessex. I don't even know
whether it is a Jeel, Rig or S'pey.
Any help out there please?
Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

Wessex

Message 29838 · Norman Dahl · 7 Mar 2002 00:41:53 · Top

on 7/3/02 9:02, ron.mackey@mail.btinternet.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been asked by two classes if I can supply the instructions
> for a dance new to me and, I suspect, only known to a few from the
> Bristol area. The Earl and Countess of Wessex. I don't even know
> whether it is a Jeel, Rig or S'pey.
> Any help out there please?
> Cheers, Ron :)

The Earl and Countess of Wessex "was devised by Joan and Hugh Ferguson of
the Dalriada Scottish Dance Band to mark the occasion of the wedding of
Prince Edward to Miss Sophie Rees-Jones in Windsor Castle on 19th June
1999." The figures symbolize different aspects of the couple's meeting,
courtship, public duties, and the marriage.

It is a 40-bar reel for 3 couples in a 4-couple set. The instructions are
available on the sleeve notes of the Dalriada CD entitled "Reflections of
Dalriada", PFRD009 from Purplefolk Records.

It is a pleasant and straightfoward dance that I have enjoyed; I will send
the instructions privately to anyone who wants them (and have done so for
Ron)

Regards,
-norman-

Norman Dahl
<http://www.xns.org/=NormanDahl>
--

Wessex

Message 29868 · Honiss · 9 Mar 2002 11:08:12 · Top

Norman, thankyou for your generous offer re the above dance. I would love
to receive instructions for our group.
Enid Honiss, Kerikeri SCD Club, NZ
> > I have been asked by two classes if I can supply the instructions
> > for a dance new to me and, I suspect, only known to a few from the
> > Bristol area. The Earl and Countess of Wessex. I don't even know
> > whether it is a Jeel, Rig or S'pey.
> > Any help out there please?
> > Cheers, Ron :)
> >
> The Earl and Countess of Wessex "was devised by Joan and Hugh Ferguson of
> the Dalriada Scottish Dance Band to mark the occasion of the wedding of
> Prince Edward to Miss Sophie Rees-Jones in Windsor Castle on 19th June
> 1999." The figures symbolize different aspects of the couple's meeting,
> courtship, public duties, and the marriage.
>
> It is a 40-bar reel for 3 couples in a 4-couple set. The instructions are
> available on the sleeve notes of the Dalriada CD entitled "Reflections of
> Dalriada", PFRD009 from Purplefolk Records.
>
> It is a pleasant and straightfoward dance that I have enjoyed; I will send
> the instructions privately to anyone who wants them (and have done so for
> Ron)
>
> Regards,
> -norman-
>
> Norman Dahl
> <http://www.xns.org/=NormanDahl>
> --

Wessex

Message 29843 · Andrew Smith · 7 Mar 2002 08:12:16 · Top

What Norman did not add is that the CD has Hugh's original tune, and most of
us here in the "Wes 'of Englun" ( as it has spread much further than just
"the Bristol area" and is now very popular with more than just "a few")
think that it is absolutely right for the dance. It has very quickly become
one of those dances which it does not seem right to do to any other tunes.
The Bristol Branch will be including it in their "40th Anniversary" book
which is due out this summer.
Andrew,
Bristol, UK.