strathspey Archive: Tune - Lady Susan Stewart

Tune - Lady Susan Stewart

Message 29728 · Malcolm Brown · 26 Feb 2002 10:37:19 · Top

Does anyone know why the first tune for Lady Susan Stewart's Reel on the
Fiddlesticks and Ivory CD is listed as "Hold the Lass 'till I Get At Her"?

Malcolm
Malcolm (& Helen) Brown
York (U.K.)

Tune - Lady Susan Stewart

Message 29734 · ron.mackey · 27 Feb 2002 01:10:42 · Top

> Does anyone know why the first tune for Lady Susan Stewart's Reel on the
> Fiddlesticks and Ivory CD is listed as "Hold the Lass 'till I Get At Her"?
>
> Malcolm
> Malcolm (& Helen) Brown
> York (U.K.)

Helen, do you wish your name to be associated with this question?
Hmm? :-)

Happy Dancing
Cheers :)
Ron

Ron Mackey. London Branch
Mottingham
39-SE9 4NS

Tune - Lady Susan Stewart

Message 29739 · Steve Wyrick · 27 Feb 2002 04:35:31 · Top

Malcolm Brown wrote:

> Does anyone know why the first tune for Lady Susan Stewart's Reel on the
> Fiddlesticks and Ivory CD is listed as "Hold the Lass 'till I Get At Her"?
>
> Malcolm
> Malcolm (& Helen) Brown
> York (U.K.)

Because that's the name of the tune!

X:1
T:Hold The Lass Till...,aka. BF13.110
M:4/4
Q:440
S:J.Lishman(?)MS,c1825,Lakes,Browne Coll.
R:Reel
O:England
A:Lakes
Z:vmp.Chris Partington
K:D
Ae-eg fdec|Ae-eg gGdB|Aeeg fdef|g-g (a/g/f/e/) dGdB::!
Ag (f/g/a) fdec|Ag (f/g/a) GB/c/ dB|Ag (f/g/a) fdef|gg (a/g/f/e/) dBdB:|

(From the sectionalized WWW abc index,
http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/index/split/wwabcH.html)
--
Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@earthlink.net> -- Concord, California

Tune - Lady Susan Stewart

Message 29741 · Brian Charlton · 27 Feb 2002 04:47:49 · Top

G'Day,

I note that it says "All music Traditional except as noted" so I assume it
is a 'traditional' tune. On the album called 'Hold the Lass Till I Get at
Her' by Susie Petrov, it is also listed as 'traditional', but in the track
notes it is spelt 'haud'.

Other than that, ask a musician!

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia.

Does anyone know why the first tune for Lady Susan Stewart's Reel on the
Fiddlesticks and Ivory CD is listed as "Hold the Lass 'till I Get At Her"?

Malcolm
Malcolm (& Helen) Brown
York (U.K.)

Tune - Lady Susan Stewart

Message 29766 · Steve Wyrick · 27 Feb 2002 20:07:41 · Top

Brian Charlton wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> I note that it says "All music Traditional except as noted" so I assume it
> is a 'traditional' tune. On the album called 'Hold the Lass Till I Get at
> Her' by Susie Petrov, it is also listed as 'traditional', but in the track
> notes it is spelt 'haud'.
>
> Other than that, ask a musician!
>
> Brian Charlton,
> Sydney, Australia.

Apologies to anyone who was confused by my ABC post; I momentarily forgot I
was sending to a dance list and not a music list! At any rate, the notes I
found on this tune indicate it is also known as "Ha'd the Lass Till I Run at
Her." I'd love to know the story behind the title, but I assume that as
with so many other tunes with great titles, it's lost in the mists of time!
It's from an early-1800s manuscript called the Browne Collection, which is
comprised of tunes collected in the Lakes District. -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@earthlink.net> -- Concord, California

Tune - Lady Susan Stewart

Message 29774 · Ozorak · 28 Feb 2002 03:07:35 · Top

Hi,

The tune was first printed in Robert Bremner's collection dated c.1751-1761,
published in Edinburgh. I appears as "Ha'd the Lass 'Till I Win at Her".

Etienne Ozorak

> > I note that it says "All music Traditional except as noted" so I assume
it
> > is a 'traditional' tune. On the album called 'Hold the Lass Till I Get
at
> > Her' by Susie Petrov, it is also listed as 'traditional', but in the
track
> > notes it is spelt 'haud'.
> >
> > Other than that, ask a musician!
> >
> > Brian Charlton,
> > Sydney, Australia.
> >

> Apologies to anyone who was confused by my ABC post; I momentarily forgot
> was sending to a dance list and not a music list! At any rate, the notes
> found on this tune indicate it is also known as "Ha'd the Lass Till I Run
at
> Her." I'd love to know the story behind the title, but I assume that as
> with so many other tunes with great titles, it's lost in the mists of
time!
> It's from an early-1800s manuscript called the Browne Collection, which is
> comprised of tunes collected in the Lakes District. -Steve
> --
> Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@earthlink.net> -- Concord, California

The Tourbillon

Message 29775 · Marian Stroh · 28 Feb 2002 07:12:13 · Top

Can somebody out there write out the directions for the "tourbillon" please?
It appears in a dance our class needs to learn, and we can't find the
written directions in any books or write-ups we have. Thanks!

Marian Stroh
Reno, NV
mstrohinreno@charter.net

The Tourbillon

Message 29776 · Timothy Wilson · 28 Feb 2002 07:26:26 · Top

Private reply sent.

Tim Wilson
San Francisco, CA