strathspey Archive: Corstorphine Fair

Corstorphine Fair

Message 29317 · Anselm Lingnau · 26 Jan 2002 09:49:54 · Top

Harry Ways <hways@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Bars17-24 All 4 couples, facing top, slip 4 steps to center of dance, women
> passing in front of men. Join nearer hands or link arms with partners and
> dance 2 steps forward and 2 steps backward (skip change) Then 4 slip steps
> back to sidelines, women again in front of men.

Right, this is about what I remember from way back when. Thanks!

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... anselm@strathspey.org
Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,

Corstorphine Fair

Message 29319 · seonaid.gent · 26 Jan 2002 11:29:13 · Top

Harry wrote:

>Bars17-24 All 4 couples, facing top, slip 4 steps to center of dance, women
>passing in front of men. Join nearer hands or link arms with partners and
>dance 2 steps forward and 2 steps backward (skip change) Then 4 slip steps
>back to sidelines, women again in front of men.

That's interesting. We always slipped across to the other side of the set before advancing. However, having just checked the original insturctions I find we were wrong.

We used to this dance a lot in the childrens class I went to. We danced it to lots of tunes with animal connections (ie 'The animals went in two by two' and 'Nellie the Elephant') becasue Corstorphine Hill is home to Edinburgh Zoo.

Seonaid

--------------------

Summer School in New Zealand

Message 29350 · Marian Stroh · 28 Jan 2002 05:53:58 · Top

This is for Shirley Butterfield. You mentioned your summer school for New
Year's 2002-2003 that will be on the south island when Bob and I were in
Vienna with you last spring. We are seriously interested in coming and
would like you to keep us posted, either by email or on the Strathspey
Server or somehow. We want to know dates, cost, location, and anything else
you think we should know. We look forward to seeing you again and to
visiting New Zealand.

Marian Stroh
mstrohinreno@charter.net

Summer School in New Zealand

Message 29466 · shirley butterfield · 2 Feb 2002 01:50:22 · Top

Hi there. Sorry I have been silent over this week but have been in
Wellington for work and did not bother with my email while there. The
result is of course a mammoth listing for me to clear today!
This is for you Marian and anyone else interested in coming down under for a
school. I have already sent forms to Ireland and to Susi so we could have a
Vienna reunion downunder! I'll get some forms and send them to you -
hopefully this week.
The school commences on Saturday 28th December and finishes on Sunday 5
January. For those interested in those things musicians include Muriel
Johnstone and the overseas teachers are Bill Zobel, Anne Kennedy and
Margaret Sim. (Doug you may want to add some more information to the
Strathspey members)
Many thanks Alan for giving us a further boost. I'm glad you enjoyed
Napier - we certainly enjoyed having you and Christine there.
Shirley
>This is for Shirley Butterfield. You mentioned your summer school for New
>Year's 2002-2003 that will be on the south island when Bob and I were in
>Vienna with you last spring. We are seriously interested in coming and
>would like you to keep us posted, either by email or on the Strathspey
>Server or somehow. We want to know dates, cost, location, and anything
else
>you think we should know. We look forward to seeing you again and to
>visiting New Zealand.
>
>Marian Stroh
>mstrohinreno@charter.net

Summer School in New Zealand

Message 29472 · Marian Stroh · 2 Feb 2002 17:57:51 · Top

Dear Shirley,

Thanks for the info about summer school in NZ Bob and I eagerly await
applications and do plan to come. As he often says, you only go around once
in this life, so you might as well make the best of it. Summer School in
New Zealand certainly seems to qualify as making the best of it this year!
Thanks for the r eply, and I got a reply from Doug as well. I have a file
started!

We had a Vienna reunion of sorts January 19 at Marjorie's anniversary ball
in San Diego. Jim and Donna Ferguson from Cleveland were there, as was
Louie Perez from New York. Not Theresa, though. And of course Muriel, with
Bill. Glad to know they will be at your summer school We love them both!

We look forward to seeing you them.

Your friends, Bob and Marian Stroh