strathspey Archive: Dance Tunes

Dance Tunes

Message 29154 · Anselm Lingnau · 18 Jan 2002 11:47:58 · Top

Iain Richardson <i.g.richardson@rgu.ac.uk> writes:

> Are you seriously implying that "the pipes" can only play pipe marches ?
> The repertoire is huge. Regarding the Lilt - play a slip jig and you
> will simply confuse the dancers. Most Highland dancers will "click" into
> the dance if you play Battle of the Somme as the first tune.

Yes, but that's just because highland dancers have that music pounded
into them when they are very young and easily indoctrinated, possibly
for lack of pipers who can/will play the real Lilt music at competitions
(I'm obviously out on a limb here, not being a piper myself).

Butter«. Both are 9/8 jigs, not retreat marches, and they have a
completely different feel to them in the dance -- much more lively and
it. They also happen not to sit so well on the pipes; you can probably
play tunes that sound vaguely similar but it's not the same thing.

Anselm

PS. (General remark) Please, please DO try NOT to quote ALL of the
software that will bounce a contribution back to its sender if
it has a line saying »-----Original Message-----« and there are
more lines below that line than above :^)
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... anselm@strathspey.org
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to