strathspey Archive: Clockwise or anti-clockwise - was Re: triangular sets

Clockwise or anti-clockwise - was Re: triangular sets

Message 29069 · Andrew Aitchison · 9 Jan 2002 11:25:54 · Top

Chris1Ronald@aol.com:
> I suppose it's up to each deviser, especially as the RSCDS hasn't produced
> any triangular dance, to my knowledge. Maybe there are some square set
> dances where couples are numbered anti-clockwise too.
>
> But I'm sure most dancers would be happier if devisers always
> numbered the couples clockwise, whether the sets are triangular,
> square, pentagonal, or whatever.

For some strange reason, one of the first things that made me prefer
Scots ceilidhs to English barn dances was that square sets are numbered
clockwise in scots and anticlickwise in english.
Maybe I have some deep superstition abut "widdershins" ?

Of course for many dances it is sufficient to label two couples
as "heads" and two as "sides".

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna