strathspey Archive: What is the Targe?

Previous thread: Fraction Characters
Next thread: Clockwise or anti-clockwise - was Re: triangular sets

What is the Targe?

Message 29067 · Alan Paterson · 9 Jan 2002 10:03:47 · Top

Just to make a change from discussing computer stuff <vbg>

Well, when I think of the Targe, I think firstly of one dance - The
Clansman. In my quest to collect details of all SC dances in my
database, I have come across the name in a few other places. Indeed, Ron
Wallace invented something he called a Corner Targe.

I have therefore been puzzling over the question "When is a Targe not a
Targe?". I.e. what elements are sufficient ,when present, to say that a
formation is a Targe (of some description)?

Example 1: Wind on Loch Fyne, bars 17-24. Is this a Targe?

Example 2: (from a dance called Upside Down) which is for 3 couples in a
triangular set:
"Men dance LH across in centre 2 places while Ladies dance clockwise 1
place, turn partner RH. Repeat twice more to return to starting places".
Is this a Targe?

Comments?

Alan

What is the Targe?

Message 29075 · Rebecca Sager · 9 Jan 2002 12:03:21 · Top

The same question had occurred to me. When I introduced Ron Wallace's
Trip to Paradise to our class, I led up to it through a
very-familiar-dance, the Wind on Loch Fyne, followed by the
dance-with-the-named-figure, The Clansman, then taught the
dance-with-the-figure-with-a-difference. The figure is esentially the
same in all three.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:03:21 +0100 Alan Paterson <alanp@paranor.ch>
writes:
> Just to make a change from discussing computer stuff <vbg>
>
> Well, when I think of the Targe, I think firstly of one dance - The
> Clansman. In my quest to collect details of all SC dances in my
> database, I have come across the name in a few other places. Indeed,
> Ron
> Wallace invented something he called a Corner Targe.
>
> I have therefore been puzzling over the question "When is a Targe
> not a
> Targe?". I.e. what elements are sufficient ,when present, to say
> that a
> formation is a Targe (of some description)?
>
> Example 1: Wind on Loch Fyne, bars 17-24. Is this a Targe?
>
> Example 2: (from a dance called Upside Down) which is for 3 couples
> in a
> triangular set:
> "Men dance LH across in centre 2 places while Ladies dance clockwise
> 1
> place, turn partner RH. Repeat twice more to return to starting
> places".
> Is this a Targe?
>
> Comments?
>
> Alan
>

What is the Targe?

Message 29076 · Alan Harrison · 9 Jan 2002 14:00:07 · Top

Hi All,
As far as I know the Targe formation was devised by Derek Haynes for his
dance the Clansman, or vice versa. Just my two pennuth.

Regards,
Alan Harrison
RSCDS Leeds Branch
www.piper-alan.co.uk

What is the Targe?

Message 29110 · Colleen Putt · 13 Jan 2002 16:20:39 · Top

To go even farther back (sin't dance evolution fascinating?), Derek Haynes
told a group of us at St. Andrews once that he devised the Targe as an
exercise for teaching ladies' chain.
Cheers,
Colleen

> As far as I know the Targe formation was devised by Derek Haynes for his
> dance the Clansman, or vice versa. Just my two pennuth.
>
>
> Regards,
> Alan Harrison
> RSCDS Leeds Branch
> www.piper-alan.co.uk
>
>

What is the Targe? [2]

Message 29111 · John Wood · 13 Jan 2002 17:18:04 · Top

Hi, Colleen:

Happy New Year! A bit late, tho, but that's why
I'm asking:

How come this E-mail of yours is dated
Wednesday, January 2094?

Are you a visitor from the future? Is the
dancing -- if any -- still going strong, or
has it been banned as a "dangerous activity"
because of constant injuries?"

Just curious!

Regards, John

What is the Targe? [2]

Message 29119 · Colleen Putt · 14 Jan 2002 19:25:20 · Top

I keep getting this query, so am answering publicly instead of privately.
The date anomaly is my own private Y2K bug. I've tried to change it, but to
no avail. The only solution, I'm told, is to dump this wood-burning unit I'm
currently using.
Happy New Year to you all, as well.
Cheers,
Colleen

> How come this E-mail of yours is dated
> Wednesday, January 2094?
>
> Are you a visitor from the future? Is the
> dancing -- if any -- still going strong, or
> has it been banned as a "dangerous activity"
> because of constant injuries?"
>
> Just curious!
>
> Regards, John
>
>

2094

Message 29122 · Pia Walker · 15 Jan 2002 07:41:37 · Top

What will SCD be like in 2094?

Well there's a though - RSCDS problem will be solved - there will be younger
dancers (younger than us - that is).

It will still be world wide, but of course we will be able to go to more
dances outside our countries due to the 10 hour working week, and generous
state allowances for leisure interests :>)

Average age will have risen to 140, so we should all still be dancing - now
there's a thought for senior class at st. andrews :>) - and we will all be
tut-tutting at the young ones - because in our day we never were like that
:>)

Oh and due to the high age of the dancers, they will have to make allowances
for walking sticks when dancing :>) A new step will have been introduced:
The wobble.

Pia

> >
> > Are you a visitor from the future? Is the
> > dancing -- if any -- still going strong, or
> > has it been banned as a "dangerous activity"
> > because of constant injuries?"
> >
> > Just curious!
> >
> > Regards, John
> >
> >
>

Celtic connections 2002

Message 29125 · Pia Walker · 15 Jan 2002 14:42:41 · Top

Hi all - especially for those in Scotland.

Just had this through - se get up and jig.

Pia

Scottish Traditions of Dance Ceilidh Series
at CELTIC CONNECTIONS 2002

Saint Andrews in the Square, Glasgow
Friday 18th, Saturday 19th and Thursday 31st January - all at 8pm

The Scottish Traditions of Dance Trust is running a new series of Scottish
traditions of dance ceilidhs at the Saint Andrew's in the Square venue for
Celtic Connections 2002.

Whether you're a beginner or an expert, come along and join in Scotland's
country and ceilidh dances - enjoy old favourites and maybe even try
something new!

Each of the ceilidh nights in the series will also feature displays by
traditional dance demonstration groups, so come along to all three and you'
ll experience the wide and fascinating variety of the Scottish dance
traditions.

*** Friday 18th January
DANNSA (Mats Melin, Frank McConnell, Caroline Reagh, Sandra Robertson)
Demonstrations of e.g. step dance, Hebridean, Orkney, Shetland dances.
Music from Mary Ann Kennedy, Finn Moore, Mairi Campbell.

*** Saturday 19th January
EDINBURGH TATTOO CEILIDH DANCERS
Displays of Highland dance, national dance and modern choreographed pieces.
The Cairnhill Ceilidh Band will provide the dance music.

*** Thursday 31st January
RSCDS GLASGOW BRANCH DEMONSTRATION TEAM
Scottish Country Dancing and Ladies' Step Dancing from the demonstration
team of the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society Glasgow Branch.
The Occasionals will provide the dance music.

There will be live music each night from Scottish bands and musicians, so
join us, have fun and put a spring in your step!

Tickets £6 from the Celtic Connections ticket hotline - 0141 353 8000.

Sunday dance

Message 29545 · Stella F · 10 Feb 2002 04:47:23 · Top

The Richmond, VA (USA) Scottish Country Dancers are having a basic Tea Dance
on Sunday February 17th. at 2:00pm. If you are going to be in the area, we
would love to have you join us. Musicians are "The KeyStone Celts" - Helen
Powell and Julie Gorka. We will be at
Church of the Epiphany
8000 Hermitage Road
Richmond, VA
Program

Flowers of Edinburgh Book 1
The Machine Without Horses Book 12
Seann Truibhas Willichan Book 27
Anderson's Rant MMM1
Berwick Johnnie Graded Book
The Minister on the Loch 24 Graded & Social
The Dancing Bees 24 Graded & Social

Shiftin' Bobbins Ormskirk Dances
Roaring Jelly Glendarroch Sheets
Lady Lucy Ramsay MMM 2
Fisherman's Reel Dunblane Holiday Book
The Dillsburg Jig Shengzhang Tang
Fair Donald Book 29
The Reel of the 51st Division RSCDS Book 13

email: stellaf@mediaone.net or phone: 804-740-4404

Old Spedling Castle Ghost's Dance

Message 29106 · eclyde · 13 Jan 2002 04:56:10 · Top

In "Take the Floor", the programme of Scottish dance music broadcast by
Radio Scotland, Gordon Wilson's band played the music for this dance, and
Robbie Shepherd mentioned that the dance involved a ghost, who (which?) may
or may not dance in any given 32 bars. He also said that the dance has
become very popular in South West Scotland.

Are the instructions available somewhere for this dance?

Eric Clyde,
Ottawa Branch

Old Spedling Castle Ghost's Dance

Message 29107 · Lydia Hedge · 13 Jan 2002 05:03:07 · Top

> Are the instructions available somewhere for this dance?
DanceData says Jim Rae is the deviser. I think I can dredge up an
address for him. He lives in Lockerbie.

Lydia

Old Spedling Castle Ghost's Dance

Message 29115 · e.ferguson · 14 Jan 2002 08:17:30 · Top

This charming and unusual dance was devised by Jim Rae, who taught it
to us at the SCD course in Rechberg, Germany, last october. The dance
is not difficult, but the ghost needs good flight.

Jim Rae has e-mail jim_rae@hotmail.com

I do not know if the dance has been published. Perhaps Jim could tell
us on Strathspey where it can be obtained, or even post the
description.

On 12 Jan 2002 at 22:55, Eric Clyde wrote:

> <...> the dance involved a ghost, who (which?) may or may not dance in
> any given 32 bars. He also said that the dance has become very popular
> in South West Scotland.
>
> Are the instructions available somewhere for this dance?
>
> Eric Clyde,
> Ottawa Branch

--
Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH EINDHOVEN,
Netherlands
tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036 e-mail: e.ferguson@antenna.nl

Old Spedling Castle Ghost's Dance

Message 29129 · MCMuellerFranz · 16 Jan 2002 07:30:09 · Top

The adress is:
jim_rae@hotmail.com

Martina
Langenfeld, Germany

>G'Day,If Jim Rae can be reached by email, what is the address?

>Thanks,
>Brian Charlton,
>Sydney, Australia.
>(Yes, we are OK after all the fires, though very smoky still)

Previous thread: Fraction Characters
Next thread: Clockwise or anti-clockwise - was Re: triangular sets
A Django site.