strathspey Archive: Euro-symbol

Euro-symbol

Message 29026 · Volleyballjerry · 3 Jan 2002 20:03:54 · Top

Thanks, Adriana, et. al.,

The Crtl+Alt+4 didn't work for me either, but your Alt+0128 works fine!

Wishing you a happy and prosperous [€] new year,

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

E-mail Address for Barry Skelton

Message 29027 · John K. Andrews · 3 Jan 2002 22:43:48 · Top

Does anyone on the list have an e-mail address for Barry Skelton?

Jay Andrews
Alexandria, VA

E-mail Address for Barry Skelton

Message 29028 · Lydia Hedge · 3 Jan 2002 22:57:13 · Top

Private reply sent

Lydia Hedge
Halifax, Nova Scotia

> Does anyone on the list have an e-mail address for Barry Skelton?
>
> Jay Andrews
> Alexandria, VA

Euro-symbol

Message 29030 · Andrew Peterkin · 4 Jan 2002 06:30:58 · Top

on 1/3/02 1:03 PM, Volleyballjerry@aol.com at Volleyballjerry@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks, Adriana, et. al.,
>
> The Crtl+Alt+4 didn't work for me either, but your Alt+0128 works fine!
>
> Wishing you a happy and prosperous [€] new year,
>
> Robb Quint
> Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

If any of you Mac users out don't know, the key code for this [€] is:
‘OPTION + SHIFT + 2’

Now we can all do it!

Thanks,
Andrew

Euro-symbol

Message 29031 · Pia Walker · 4 Jan 2002 10:41:26 · Top

I prefer the good old £ and Dkr :>) :>)

Here in UK, the TV news crews are all going into shops and trying to buy
with Euro, to me that means that they are trying to buy with foreign coin -
I wonder what the shops would do if I insisted on paying with Danish kroner
here? - is that not the same thing? - I must try this at RSCDS HQ when I go
in and get some merchandise

Pia
Danish, living in Scotland

> The Crtl+Alt+4 didn't work for me either, but your Alt+0128 works fine!
>
> Wishing you a happy and prosperous [€] new year,
>
> Robb Quint
> Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

If any of you Mac users out don't know, the key code for this [€] is:
‘OPTION + SHIFT + 2’

Now we can all do it!

Thanks,
Andrew

Euro-symbol

Message 29032 · Martin.Sheffield · 4 Jan 2002 14:22:09 · Top

Am I the only one getting this kind of thing on my screen?

>Wishing you a happy and prosperous [€] new year,
(...)
>the key code for this [€] is:
>‘OPTION + SHIFT + 2’

In other words, I do not get the euro sign.

What do you all get when I press my euro key?
€€€€

Oh ! Just made a discovery. My euro key works with "Word" (French
edition), but not with "Eudora" (English edition), where my screen show
little empty squares. How odd !

Martin,
in Grenoble, France.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
(dance groups, events, some new dances ...)

Euro-symbol

Message 29033 · Adam Hughes · 4 Jan 2002 15:20:00 · Top

M Sheffield wrote:
> Am I the only one getting this kind of thing on my screen?

No.

I'm afraid I can't work up the enthusiasm for this subject.

The euro sign is part of the Unicode standard (character 20AC;
characters 20A0-20CF are reserved for currency symbols), and those of us
using modern European keyboards have a euro key (mine is
CTRL+ALT+(toprow)4).

If you are using a Unicode based operating system, you will be able to
access the character somehow. However some software, particularly
freeware like Eudora, will not support Unicode, even though the
underlying system may.

If you are not using a Unicode based operating system (Win9X and most
flavours of Unix/Linux) then you may have difficulty, but most GUI's
will have a method to cope.

In email, out of respect for those who cannot read the symbols, many
people will continue to use "GBP", "USD", and "yen" and probably will
also keep writing "euro" too.

What does this have to do with Scottish dancing?

Adam
(Possibly feeling slightly bitter because his country is dithering
pointlessly again.)
Cambridge, UK.

Euro-symbol

Message 29036 · Loren Wright · 4 Jan 2002 15:54:26 · Top

Sorry about the redundancy! I missed Adam's posting.

Loren

> M Sheffield wrote:
>> Am I the only one getting this kind of thing on my screen?
>
> No.
>
> I'm afraid I can't work up the enthusiasm for this subject.
>
> The euro sign is part of the Unicode standard (character 20AC;
> characters 20A0-20CF are reserved for currency symbols), and those of us
> using modern European keyboards have a euro key (mine is
> CTRL+ALT+(toprow)4).
>
> If you are using a Unicode based operating system, you will be able to
> access the character somehow. However some software, particularly
> freeware like Eudora, will not support Unicode, even though the
> underlying system may.
>
> If you are not using a Unicode based operating system (Win9X and most
> flavours of Unix/Linux) then you may have difficulty, but most GUI's
> will have a method to cope.
>
> In email, out of respect for those who cannot read the symbols, many
> people will continue to use "GBP", "USD", and "yen" and probably will
> also keep writing "euro" too.
>
> What does this have to do with Scottish dancing?
>
> Adam
> (Possibly feeling slightly bitter because his country is dithering
> pointlessly again.)
> Cambridge, UK.

Euro-symbol

Message 29035 · Loren Wright · 4 Jan 2002 15:51:19 · Top

> If any of you Mac users out don't know, the key code for this [€] is:
> ‘OPTION + SHIFT + 2’
>
> Now we can all do it!

It might not be this combination in every font, and it might not be there at
all. You can always run the program "Key Caps" from your Apple menu, hold
down the option key and see what's where. I don't bother to memorize most
of these combinations, since they're used so rarely.

> Oh ! Just made a discovery. My euro key works with "Word" (French
> edition), but not with "Eudora" (English edition), where my screen show
> little empty squares. How odd !

Some programs are written to display only standard ASCII characters, and
Eudora apparently is one of them. The codes for these special characters
are outside the ASCII range of 0 to 127.

Now I've got my own interesting observation. When I went to send this
message (w/ Mac Outlook Express 5), the program told me that it would have
to be sent in Unicode. This is because of the Euro symbol (€) quoted from
Andrew. (Unicode is a character coding system that uses two bytes to
represent each character, rather than one. Because of the great number of
characters in some languages, it takes more than the 256 allowed by one
byte.)

So now that I've sent this message, we'll find out who has e-mail clients
that support Unicode!

Loren Wright
Nashua, NH, USA