strathspey Archive: Sandy O'er the Lea sheet music

Previous thread: Sandy O'er the Lea sheet music
Next thread: Inspirational trams (was Anselm in a Tram)

Sandy O'er the Lea sheet music

Message 28964 · Anselm Lingnau · 21 Dec 2001 00:38:28 · Top

Dianna Shipman <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> I'm trying to respond to a request for sheet music for "Sandy O'er the Lea"
> but I'm not sure if there is a piece of music by that name that is different
> from the music used to dance the strathspey called "Sandy O'er the Lea" - in
> Susie Petrov's new book the signature tune shown for Sandy O'er the Lea is
> "Auld Luckie."

`Sandy O'er the Lea' is one of those `Any good strathspey' dances so in
theory you can play whatever tune tickles your fancy (as long as it
vaguely fits the dance, one may hope).

You can get a book by the late Nan Main called `The Ashley Album', which
contains music for a bunch of Miscellany (actually `99 more SCD') dances
including `Sandy o'er the Lea'. The suggested tune is `Kincorth Brig' by
Adam Allardyce. There is a school of thought which considers the music
in this book at least semi-official for the dances in question -- and
indeed Kincorth Brig, a nice tune for sure, is what Muriel Johnstone
chose as the lead tune for the single published recording of Sandy that
exists -- but then of course Susie is just as free to pick `Auld Luckie'
(another nice and popular tune) as Nan M. is to pick `Kincorth Brig'.

Incidentally there is a tune in Scott Skinner's `Scottish Violinist'
called `Sandy o'er the SEA'. This is a slow air and therefore not
particulary suitable for dancing, thus can probably be excluded from
consideration as far as the dance is concerned.

(I'm sending you a copy of `Kincorth Brig' in private e-mail.)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... anselm@strathspey.org
If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play.
Z is keep your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

Sandy O'er the Lea sheet music

Message 28966 · John Chambers · 21 Dec 2001 03:01:55 · Top

Anselm writes:
| You can get a book by the late Nan Main called `The Ashley Album', which
| contains music for a bunch of Miscellany (actually `99 more SCD') dances
| including `Sandy o'er the Lea'. The suggested tune is `Kincorth Brig' by
| Adam Allardyce. There is a school of thought which considers the music
| in this book at least semi-official for the dances in question -- and
| indeed Kincorth Brig, a nice tune for sure, is what Muriel Johnstone
| chose as the lead tune for the single published recording of Sandy that
| exists -- but then of course Susie is just as free to pick `Auld Luckie'
| (another nice and popular tune) as Nan M. is to pick `Kincorth Brig'.
...
| (I'm sending you a copy of `Kincorth Brig' in private e-mail.)

Hey, if it's a nice tune, as you say, you should share it with
the rest of us, too ...

--
What if the Hoky Poky really IS what it's all about?

Sandy O'er the Lea

Message 28967 · Colleen Putt · 21 Dec 2001 04:18:16 · Top

At the risk of ripping open a controversy, the main reason I value my
recording of "Sandy O'er the Lea" is that it's a 6x32S recording. Locally,
we always do this for any 2 couple Strathspey on a programme. Saves time and
allows for more dances.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Colleen

Two cpl dances (was Re: Sandy O'er the Lea)

Message 28972 · John P. McClure · 21 Dec 2001 21:02:01 · Top

Not sure whether saving time is really the reason, but lots of 2 cpl jigs
and reels benefit from this approach, too.

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

----------------

On Mon, 20
Dec 2094, Colleen Putt wrote:

> At the risk of ripping open a controversy, the main reason I value my
> recording of "Sandy O'er the Lea" is that it's a 6x32S recording. Locally,
> we always do this for any 2 couple Strathspey on a programme. Saves time and
> allows for more dances.
> Any thoughts?
> Cheers,
> Colleen
>
>

Two cpl dances (was Re: Sandy O'er the Lea)

Message 28973 · Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov · 21 Dec 2001 22:01:39 · Top

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2094, Colleen Putt wrote:
>
> > At the risk of ripping open a controversy, the main reason I value
> > my recording of "Sandy O'er the Lea" is that it's a 6x32S recording.
> > Locally, we always do this for any 2 couple Strathspey on a
> > programme. Saves time and allows for more dances.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> > Cheers,
> > Colleen
> >

Ummmm, I think I already beat you to it, Colleen. I prompted a
discussion of this *exact* topic about three weeks ago. I know that
topics get recycled and rehashed as time goes by, but this is giving me
a major sense of deja vu.

I asked what people thought about doing 2-couple strathspeys 6x through
instead of 8x, and got quite a few responses, but (not surprisingly) no
consensus. One argument against dancing 2-couple strathspeys 6x
through in 3-couple sets is that you lose the opportunity (and the
beauty) of everyone in the room dancing at once.

--Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, MN USA

*******************************
Lara Friedman-Shedlov
ldfs@bigfoot.com
*******************************

Two cpl dances (was Re: Sandy O'er the Lea)

Message 28974 · FRAN SMITH · 21 Dec 2001 22:09:06 · Top

Hi,
I would agree that it can be a ggod idea. Ever been fourth couple in the set
where 1st Cpl dance twice through, decide they've had enough (or don't
bother to work out they should do it again) and slip to the bottom leaving
you standing around for the third time

Fran Smith, Abergavenny/Herefordshire

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Two cpl dances (was Re: Sandy O'er the Lea)

Message 28977 · John Chambers · 21 Dec 2001 22:21:58 · Top

Fran Smith writes:
| Hi,
| I would agree that it can be a ggod idea. Ever been fourth couple in the set
| where 1st Cpl dance twice through, decide they've had enough (or don't
| bother to work out they should do it again) and slip to the bottom leaving
| you standing around for the third time

There's an obvious solution and improvement: The 3rd and
4th couples should do the dance the first time. Just ignore
those who give you dirty looks; you're spending more time
dancing than they are.

Two cpl dances (was Re: Sandy O'er the Lea)

Message 28979 · Chris1Ronald · 22 Dec 2001 06:02:16 · Top

In a message dated 12/21/2001 4:10:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
fransmith2@hotmail.com writes:
> Ever been fourth couple in the set
> where 1st Cpl dance twice through, decide they've had enough (or don't
> bother to work out they should do it again) and slip to the bottom leaving
> you standing around for the third time.
>
Yup. But I think they often just didn't realise that there would be a third
time through. And, as often as not, they are sorry to miss the chance.
Perhaps we should encourage briefers (callers/recappers) to mention this
feature of a 2-couple dance.

Chris, in New York.

Merry Christmas

Message 28981 · Pia Walker · 22 Dec 2001 17:32:39 · Top

Dear All

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Prosperous New Year - and
lots of Happy Dancing where ever you are.

Love

Pia
Cupar, Fife, Scotland

Previous thread: Sandy O'er the Lea sheet music
Next thread: Inspirational trams (was Anselm in a Tram)
A Django site.