strathspey Archive: 3 Couple - 5 Couple Modification

3 Couple - 5 Couple Modification

Message 28938 · mlbrown · 18 Dec 2001 13:14:57 · Top

Seasonal Greetings

Well it must be getting close to that time of the year, because we had our
Club Christmas party last night.

At one point (just before the hot punch, if I remember correctly), we made
up sets to dance a fairly easy, well known dance, that is normally danced
in 4 couple sets, and of course we had one couple left over - so we made up
a 5 couple set, with 4s and 5s having one turn each.

Assuming that this is not an unusual state of affairs, I submit the
following new dance for those people finding themselves in a the same
situation, and being part of the 5 couple set.

Devil Among the Cobblers - 5 x 32 Reel

1-8 1s 2s, and 3s 4s, Set, 1/2 RH wheel, Set, 1/2 LH wheel

9 - 16 1s and 3s lead down middle and up

17 - 24 1s 2s, and 3s 4s "Allemande"
2s dance a normal Allemande to the top
1s dance down to 3rd place on bar 4
4s dance up to 2nd place on bar 4
3s dance down to 5th place on bar 4
5s step up to 4th place on 3 & 4

Finish 2,4,1,5,3

25 - 32 10 hands round and back

If danced to an 8 x 32 recording, I would suggest that perhaps the switch
to this dance should occur on the 6th repetition, after the original 3rd
couple finish their first turn (the 5th repeat) in 3rd place.

Malcolm

3 Couple - 5 Couple Modification

Message 28940 · mlbrown · 18 Dec 2001 15:48:15 · Top

I have had an enquiry about this dance from Lydia Hedge, which makes me
wonder just how strong the punch was last night!
It is obvious to me now that the 4s would have a real problem dancing up to
2nd place on bar 4! - How about 4s dancing up to 2nd place on bar 2, before
they dance across to the men's side as normal? They need to get into 2nd
place facing down at the end of bar 4, in behind the 1s (as they reach 3rd
place!) - I was trying to keep as much of the allemande as possible! The
alternative would be to have the 4 couples dance the allemandes as normal
for 6 bars, then on the last 2 bars; 2s retire to top place, 4s retire to
2nd place (instead of 3rd), while 1s and 3s dance down into 3rd / 5th place,
as 5s step up into 4th place - I just think that a sort of "overlapping"
allemande is more fun.

> Devil Among the Cobblers - 5 x 32 Reel
>
> 1-8 1s 2s, and 3s 4s, Set, 1/2 RH wheel, Set, 1/2 LH wheel
>
> 9 - 16 1s and 3s lead down middle and up
>
> 17 - 24 1s 2s, and 3s 4s "Allemande"
> 2s dance a normal Allemande to the top
> 1s dance down to 3rd place on bar 4
> 4s dance up to 2nd place on bar 4
> 3s dance down to 5th place on bar 4
> 5s step up to 4th place on 3 & 4
>
> Finish 2,4,1,5,3
>
> 25 - 32 10 hands round and back
>
> If danced to an 8 x 32 recording, I would suggest that perhaps the switch
> to this dance should occur on the 6th repetition, after the original 3rd
> couple finish their first turn (the 5th repeat) in 3rd place.

3 Couple - 5 Couple Modification

Message 28941 · Norah Link · 18 Dec 2001 16:46:56 · Top

Well, you could have mirror allemandes: 3s & 4s dancing down and up the
ladies side. Of course, then you either have to have the ladies take the
men's part (that could be fun, especially with a lot of punch!) or make some
other modifications - a left-handed allemande going up the man's side would
result in some unfortunate collisions. Some sort of turn into allemande
hold for 3s and 4s might be nice, but it is traditional for the dancing cpl
to go too far and have trouble getting back in time for the allemande -
making it even more problematic in this case. Then there's getting everyone
turned round to their own sides at the end - could be done very simply as a
turn, or if you want everyone dancing together change the last 2 bars to pdb
retiring, with a 1/2 turn on the first pdb for 3s and 4s (1s and 2s in
place), and all retiring on the last bar.

Or you could just do it as two regular 2-cpl allemandes, and have 4s make an
arch to dance up while 1s dance down on bars 7-8.

Anyway, it sounds like fun.... great to do in a class where you find
yourself with a 5-cpl set, instead of having 5th cpl share a round -
especially since the first 24 bars of Deil are a 2-cpl dance, it gets boring
if there are more than 4 cpls in the set.

cheers,
Norah Link (Montreal, QC, Canada)

Message 28943 · Volleyballjerry · 18 Dec 2001 17:37:22 · Top

Malcomb,

Thanks for the 5-couple De'il Amang the Tailors--oops, Cobblers! It's our
class's holiday party tonight, and since «De'il» is on our branch's (San
Gabriel Valley [& jointly Orange County] ) program for the Burns Ball January
12 as well, we'll give it a try.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA