strathspey Archive: SCDs of a more universal appeal

SCDs of a more universal appeal

Message 28541 · seonaid.gent · 30 Nov 2001 21:24:23 · Top

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a programme of dances for a SCD. However, the dance will (hopefully!) be attended by people who have not done any SCD before, but will have done ECD, Playford, English Ceilidh, Contra, Rapper, Morris etc. Can anyone suggest dances that might keep everyone happy? <VBG> Failing that, can anyone suggest dances that will be easily managed by the groups I've mentioned above and still be of interest to general SCD bods as well?

Not that I ask for much ;o)!

Thanks,

Seonaid

--------------------

SCDs of a more universal appeal

Message 28542 · Volleyballjerry · 30 Nov 2001 21:40:55 · Top

Seonaid,

Alas, you may be asking for the impossible! While others may well disagree
with me, it has nonetheless been my personal experience that anything which
can be handled on the spot by non-SCDers is overwhelmingly boring for
experienced SCDers, and the converse, that anything which is of interest to
the latter is exceedingly difficult if not impossible for the former. I
suppose that it is always possible to have unusually interest-tolerant SCDers
and/or unusually dance-gifted non-SCDers, but on the whole what you've
described seems to create a very thorny dilemma.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

SCDs of a more universal appeal

Message 28543 · Marilynn Knight · 30 Nov 2001 21:44:01 · Top

What about an ECD Dance instead? That has worked here to bring these
disparate groups temporarily together on the dance floor.

Alas, you may be asking for the impossible! While others may well disagree
with me, it has nonetheless been my personal experience that anything which
can be handled on the spot by non-SCDers is overwhelmingly boring for
experienced SCDers, and the converse, that anything which is of interest to
the latter is exceedingly difficult if not impossible for the former. I
suppose that it is always possible to have unusually interest-tolerant
SCDers
and/or unusually dance-gifted non-SCDers, but on the whole what you've
described seems to create a very thorny dilemma.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

SCDs of a more universal appeal

Message 28560 · Martin.Sheffield · 1 Dec 2001 11:48:51 · Top

At 15:40 30/11/01 EST, you wrote:

>... anything which
>can be handled on the spot by non-SCDers is overwhelmingly boring for
>experienced SCDers, (...)
> what you've
>described seems to create a very thorny dilemma.

Nonsense !
Sounds like a great setup to get together people of different backgrounds.
Of course, it depends whether you are going to teach/walkthrough the dances
or not, which I would say is absolutely indispensible. All those different
dancers will be used to rhythm and moving to the music. As long as you
don't expect them to do Muirland Willie-type dances (everyone doing
something different at the same time) or Caddam Wood types (where you are
never quite sure who you should be dancing with) or to try to get them to
adopt pointed toes before they are ready, you should have a good evening's
fun.
Start off with ceilidh dances (Virginia reel, Cumberland square, Dashing
WS, RSCDS Nice to meet you, even StW if you're short of ideas. Go on to
Posties' Jig to have a giggle, Happy Meeting (collisions guaranteed, but
who minds?), Wind on LF, as it has an obvious pattern, Garry Spey to
flatter their self esteem ...
and avoid all the dances that the RSCDS peddle as suitable for children
and/or beginners.
Martin,
in Grenoble, France.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
(dance groups, events, some new dances ...)

SCDs of a more universal appeal

Message 28563 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 1 Dec 2001 16:01:51 · Top

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, M Sheffield wrote:

> Sounds like a great setup to get together people of different backgrounds.
> Of course, it depends whether you are going to teach/walkthrough the dances
> or not, which I would say is absolutely indispensible. All those different
> dancers will be used to rhythm and moving to the music.

> never quite sure who you should be dancing with) or to try to get them to
> adopt pointed toes before they are ready, you should have a good evening's
> fun.

Agreed.

> Start off with ceilidh dances (Virginia reel, Cumberland square, Dashing
> WS, RSCDS Nice to meet you, even StW if you're short of ideas. Go on to
> Posties' Jig to have a giggle, Happy Meeting (collisions guaranteed, but
> who minds?), Wind on LF, as it has an obvious pattern, Garry Spey to
> flatter their self esteem ...

Barley Bree instead of Virginia Reel to keep it Scottish; couple facing
couple round the room to avoid three-couple progression (not common
anymore in contras and unfamilar to square dancers); once and to the
bottom Mamie's Jig; Jack's Maggot (English dance) to test their familarity
with reels of three.

> and avoid all the dances that the RSCDS peddle as suitable for children
> and/or beginners.

Love it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

SCDs of a more universal appeal

Message 28567 · James R. Ferguson · 1 Dec 2001 17:00:41 · Top

Our Heather n' Thistle RSCDS group in Columbus, OH had a Hogmany Dance for 3
or 4 years. We invited dancers from the English, Irish, Folk, Contra, etc.
to join us, and planned a few of each kind of dance. We walked each one at
least once, with good teaching, and the folks from each group helped the
others through. Everyone seemed to have a great time, including some
"new-to-any-dancing" people who came as guests. Some of the local
English/Folk dancers play for their groups, and they learned some of the
Scottish tunes so they could play those, also. The midnight potluck seemed
to appeal, too, no matter what kind of dancer you were!

Donna