strathspey Archive: Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Message 28471 · Loretta Holz · 28 Nov 2001 23:08:02 · Top

Thanks to Campbell Downie for summarizing the list of favorite strathespeys. We also plan to use the list to help make up programs for our weekly dance.

This leads to the question why are they favorites. Here are a few reasons I came up with --- please add.

Figures flow into each other well
Interesting and unique combination of figures
Different and innovative

Loretta Holz
Warren, NJ, USA
http://www.varisys.com

Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Message 28475 · ron.mackey · 29 Nov 2001 00:50:55 · Top

> Thanks to Campbell Downie for summarizing the list of favourite strathespeys. We also plan to use the list to help make up programs for our weekly dance.
>
> This leads to the question why are they favourites. Here are a few reasons I came up with --- please add.
>
> Figures flow into each other well
> Interesting and unique combination of figures
> Different and innovative
> Loretta Holz

And how about - gives pleasure to time well?

Yes, Thank you Campbell, most informative.
However I am quite surprised that so few (any?) mentioned The Belle
of Bon Accord as it meets all Loretta's criteria so well. It is
certainly a long time favourite hereabouts and it's announcement as
next dance always is greeted with an eager murmur from the assembled
populace.
I strongly recommend anyone who has not tried it to give it a go,
especially if you have the correct music as I have not heard any band
play that particular set of tunes without giving pleasure.

Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Message 28484 · Ian Brockbank · 29 Nov 2001 09:33:33 · Top

Hi Loretta,

> This leads to the question why are they favorites. Here are
> a few reasons I came up with --- please add.
>
> Figures flow into each other well
> Interesting and unique combination of figures
> Different and innovative

Add to these:

o Chance for flirting
o That change of feet in (e.g.) the poussette
o Figures don't flow into each other well, but have an interesting
connection which needs thought or a neat change of direction
o Enough interest and variety to avoid boredom

Ian
--
IndigoVision Ltd http://www.indigovision.com/
The Edinburgh Technopole, Bush Loan, Edinburgh, EH26 0PJ

Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Message 28486 · Jim Healy · 29 Nov 2001 10:00:23 · Top

Greetings

The music might have something to do with it 8)>

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

PS Haven't submitted a fave five as every time I get my list down to about
fifteen, somebody has mentioned another one that just HAS to be included

Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Message 28489 · Marilynn Knight · 29 Nov 2001 13:21:17 · Top

AND, Lovely, lovely music, plus maybe a memory of dancing with a delightful
partner in lovely set!!!!!
Loretta, I'm so glad you asked 'why'. My personal knee-jerk, favorite
question...

Marilynn
In foggy, foggy Columbia, SC, which also happens to be the State's seat of
government... but I meant only to comment about the current weather?

Thanks to Campbell Downie for summarizing the list of favorite strathespeys.
We also plan to use the list to help make up programs for our weekly dance.

This leads to the question why are they favorites. Here are a few reasons I
came up with --- please add.

Figures flow into each other well
Interesting and unique combination of figures
Different and innovative

Loretta Holz
Warren, NJ, USA
http://www.varisys.com

Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Message 28490 · Marilynn Knight · 29 Nov 2001 13:23:15 · Top

Strong argument for a 'once-in-a-lifetime' dance of favorite strathspeys?
To compare....

MLK,Cola.,SCUSA

> Thanks to Campbell Downie for summarizing the list of favourite
strathespeys. We also plan to use the list to help make up programs for our
weekly dance.

> This leads to the question why are they favourites. Here are a few
reasons I came up with --- please add.

> Figures flow into each other well
> Interesting and unique combination of figures
> Different and innovative
> Loretta Holz

And how about - gives pleasure to time well?

Yes, Thank you Campbell, most informative.
However I am quite surprised that so few (any?) mentioned The Belle

of Bon Accord as it meets all Loretta's criteria so well. It is
certainly a long time favourite hereabouts and it's announcement as
next dance always is greeted with an eager murmur from the assembled
populace.
I strongly recommend anyone who has not tried it to give it a go,
especially if you have the correct music as I have not heard any band
play that particular set of tunes without giving pleasure.

Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Message 28492 · SMiskoe · 29 Nov 2001 13:30:27 · Top

Don't forget the music. A great tune will turn a mediocre dance into an
unforgettable one and a mediocre tune will kill a good dance. A sub-set of
this comment is the band involved. They make all the difference in the
world.
Cheers,
sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Favorite Strathespeys - why are they favorites?

Message 28493 · Marilynn Knight · 29 Nov 2001 13:33:05 · Top

It's sooo true, Sylvia. I think repeatedly how it seems we as dancers take
our bands for granted. I think they should be included in our eye contact.
Maybe that is one definition of an advanced dancer?

MLKCSCUSA