strathspey Archive: favourite strathspeys

Previous thread: strathspey Digest 21 Nov 2001 09:58:44 -0000 Issue 118
Next thread: Easter School

favourite strathspeys

Message 28265 · Campbell Downie · 21 Nov 2001 16:57:35 · Top

Hi

I have just spent an interesting 20 minutes analysing the entries for the five favourite strathspeys

So far there have been 12 entries, with a few extra mentions and 64 dances have been named

38 different dances are named. A very healthy diversity of opinion in different centres and countries.. I suspect that if the same
people were asked to name their 5 favourites again in 6 months there would be many changes. I think that this is a good thing

20 of the 38 dances are RSCDS dances. Three cheers for the RSCDS. They have 600 plus published dances, as a grand total
of 10,000 plus in the Dancedata database and yet over half of the named dances are from the RSCDS Books. I think that the
selectors have done a very good job over the years and can give themselves several pats on the back. (It's time somebody said
something nice about the RSCDS)

The winner

5 votes - BONNIE STRONSHIRAY (not surprising)

4 votes - BRAES OF BREADALBANE
ROBERTSON RANT

3 votes ADIEU MON AMI
CULLA BAY
THE GENTLEMAN
MACDONALD OF THE ISLES
MINISTER ON THE LOCH
SUGAR CANDY
WIND ON LOCH FYNE

2 votes DELVINE SIDE
SEANN TRUIBHAS WILLICHAN
SAUCHIE HAUGH
ARGYLL S'SPEY
MONYMUSK

1 vote AUTUMN IN APPIN, BRIDGE OF SIGHS, CAPETOWN WEDDING, GANG THE SAME GATE,
GLASGOW HIGHLANDERS, GYPSY GLEN, GYPSY WEAVER, IRONGRAY, JOHN MCALPIN,
KETTLE RIVER, LOVERS KNOT, LUNDIN LINKS S'SPEY, MARY HAMILTON, MIS GIBSON'S S'SPEY
MISS MILLAIGAN'S S'SPEY, MRS MILNE OF KINEFF, SARONA, SCOTCH MIST, SILVER TASSIE,
STRATHCARE, STRINGS OF CLAIR, UP IN THE AIR.

I don't want to criticise any of thes choices but I am surprised to see Braes of Breadalbane so high up, and I think Monymusk is
dead boring.

Finally I don't have the words for STRINGS OF CLAIR, BRIDGE OF SIGHS, nor SARONA and I should be very pleased to receive
them if someone would send them privately

I make a lot of social programs and this list has solved my selection problems for strathspeys for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Campbell

Campbell Downie
PO Box 101269
Scottsville 3209
South Africa
Tel & Fax +27 33 3961238
Cell 083 949 5640

Previous thread: strathspey Digest 21 Nov 2001 09:58:44 -0000 Issue 118
Next thread: Easter School
A Django site.