strathspey Archive: Demonstration combos

Demonstration combos

Message 28144 · Volleyballjerry · 17 Nov 2001 21:21:00 · Top

Dianna Shipman recently requested suggestions for demonstration combos.

The Channel Coast Scottish Dancers in Ventura County, California, has had fun
(and may I say success?) with the following:

If you have a 32/32/32 quicktime/strathspey/quicktime medley, rather than
three different 32s, use a 48-bar quicktime dance done twice. The last 16
bars of the first revolution and the first 16 of the second revolution are
done strathspey time.

For three couples, Saint Nicholas Boat works nicely. Take hands on the side
for starthspey settings in the second revolution. Transition from fast to
slow occurs at the reel of four across and from slow to fast at the
second-time "tandem" reels. (Third couple can either be non-progressing, or
first couple can cross left-hand to the bottom at the end of the first
revolution, bottom couple stepping up 31-32 to be ready for strathspey
setting with the new first couple.)

For four couples, Earl of Mansfield works particularly well and makes a nice,
not overlong, presentation. Use "small circles" upper and lower for both
revolutions (not just couples one and two as written). Couples take hands on
the strathspey settings in the second revolution. Transition from fast to
slow occurs at the turn-first-corners and from slow to fast at the
second-time "pick-up" reels.

No doubt there are other 48s that would work similarly.

For a short three-couple all-strathspey combo that works very nicely with the
Neidpath Castle music, try Neidpath Castle, MacDonald of the Isles, Byron
Strathspey.

(Is anyone aware of any recording that includes any quicktime, jig or reel,
done only THREE times through with a proper chord on the end?

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, California, USA

Demonstration combos

Message 28147 · jane hewitt · 17 Nov 2001 22:36:08 · Top

Robb Quint says(
Is anyone aware of any recording that includes any quicktime, jig or reel,
done only THREE times through with a proper chord on the end?

Yes you have Bonnie Anne which is a jig 3x32

Jane Hewitt
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Demonstration combos

Message 28148 · ron.mackey · 17 Nov 2001 23:04:12 · Top

> Robb Quint says(
> Is anyone aware of any recording that includes any quicktime, jig or reel,
> done only THREE times through with a proper chord on the end?
>
> Yes you have Bonnie Anne which is a jig 3x32
>
> Jane Hewitt

Yes,
As Jigs there is

Two for One on the Book 28 tape by Jimmy Lindsay
Magic Moments from Reel Friends by Craigellachie
The Penny Whistle from Reel Friends by Craigellachie
At the Top of the Hill from Reel Friends Bk2. by David Hall
Cool As A Cucumber from Tartan Capers by White Cockade

As a reel there is

Kings Croft from Reel Friends Bk2 by David Hall
The Lanes of Au from RSCDS Book 19 by Alistair Wood
And there is a set of Reels by Ian Slater from From Manse to Dance

Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

Easter School 2002 in Stirling

Message 28156 · Susi Mayr · 18 Nov 2001 16:41:43 · Top

On the way back home from the RSCDS Executive Council meeting yesterday
some of us were talking about the Easter School in Stirling next year.
This is an event organised BY young people FOR young people - a welcome
new venture for the RSCDS which we think deserves as much support as
possible. At the moment application numbers are low - the closing date
is 14 December. Please visit the website at www.rscds.org/youth/easter
for more information and encourage others to do so as well. It sounds so
interesting that I'm sorry not to qualify as a "young person" !

Susi

Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

Easter School 2002 in Stirling

Message 28163 · Pia Walker · 18 Nov 2001 21:05:24 · Top

Hi Susi

Me to - perhaps they will up the age about 15 years to let us very very
young at heart in :>) :>)

Perhaps we can be chaperones ?? or mother confessors ?? or surely they will
need someone to tell them how it was in the old days :>) :>) :>)

I wanna go!!!!

Pia
> On the way back home from the RSCDS Executive Council meeting yesterday
> some of us were talking about the Easter School in Stirling next year.
> This is an event organised BY young people FOR young people - a welcome
> new venture for the RSCDS which we think deserves as much support as
> possible. At the moment application numbers are low - the closing date
> is 14 December. Please visit the website at www.rscds.org/youth/easter
> for more information and encourage others to do so as well. It sounds so
> interesting that I'm sorry not to qualify as a "young person" !
>
> Susi
>
> Susi Mayr
> Vienna, Austria
> susi@redrose.co.at

Easter School 2002 in Stirling

Message 28187 · Cmcowen · 20 Nov 2001 07:17:34 · Top

What a shame I didn't know about that sooner and I would have included it in
the Ghillie Callum newsletter for LA, California! Particlarly when it
emphasizes "youth." If you have it again next year, I would appreciate
hearing about it in July.

Thank you, Carol McOwen <cncowen@aol.com>

Easter School 2002 in Stirling

Message 28192 · Pia Walker · 20 Nov 2001 15:43:46 · Top

What a pity - Hope you can still do something though to promote it - HQ has
some fantastic postcards for publizising this event - you should all get
some. I'm by the way not sure when this was made official, but everyone
should take a look at the RSCDS web site from time to time to look at what
is going on - the virtual web committe :>) is really doing a good job in
making this site better and better - and all in their spare time too.

Plug
Pia
> What a shame I didn't know about that sooner and I would have included it
in
> the Ghillie Callum newsletter for LA, California! Particlarly when it
> emphasizes "youth." If you have it again next year, I would appreciate
> hearing about it in July.
>
> Thank you, Carol McOwen <cncowen@aol.com>

Easter School 2002 in Stirling

Message 28193 · Alan Paterson · 20 Nov 2001 16:10:16 · Top

Pia Walker wrote:

> What a pity - Hope you can still do something though to promote it - HQ has
> some fantastic postcards for publizising this event - you should all get
> some. I'm by the way not sure when this was made official, but everyone
> should take a look at the RSCDS web site from time to time to look at what
> is going on - the virtual web committe :>) is really doing a good job in
> making this site better and better - and all in their spare time too.

And, having had a quick browse through, I enjoyed the pictures of various RSCDS
worthies. Am I correct in that the Duncan Brown pictured there with the big grin
is the gentleman who has been posting on this list recently?

Alan

P.S. What is the status of our own 'Strathspey' picture album?

Easter School 2002 in Stirling

Message 28196 · Ian Brockbank · 20 Nov 2001 18:34:01 · Top

HI Pia,

> What a pity - Hope you can still do something though to
> promote it - HQ has
> some fantastic postcards for publizising this event - you
> should all get
> some. I'm by the way not sure when this was made official,
> but everyone
> should take a look at the RSCDS web site from time to time to
> look at what
> is going on - the virtual web committe :>) is really doing a
> good job in
> making this site better and better - and all in their spare time too.

Thanks. The changes page ( http://www.rscds.org/changes.html )
has the following entry:

9th October, 2001
Added information about the youth Easter School, plus associated
news item.

Cheers,

Ian
--
IndigoVision Ltd http://www.indigovision.com/
The Edinburgh Technopole, Bush Loan, Edinburgh, EH26 0PJ

Demonstration combos

Message 28159 · Steve Wyrick · 18 Nov 2001 21:37:33 · Top

Volleyballjerry@aol.com wrote:

> The Channel Coast Scottish Dancers in Ventura County, California, has had fun
> (and may I say success?) with the following:
>
> If you have a 32/32/32 quicktime/strathspey/quicktime medley, rather than
> three different 32s, use a 48-bar quicktime dance done twice. The last 16
> bars of the first revolution and the first 16 of the second revolution are
> done strathspey time.

I may be biased because as a fiddler strathspeys are my favorite to play,
but I think you shortchange your audiences if you don't let them HEAR a
strathspey as well as see it; the strathspey is the only tune form we dance
to that is uniquely Scottish and one which I find a lot of people (out here
in California, anyway) are unfamiliar with, and it deserves to be included
in performances! -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@earthlink.net> -- Concord, CA

Demonstration combos

Message 28165 · Volleyballjerry · 19 Nov 2001 00:23:26 · Top

Re comment from Steve Wyrick, concerned that our (Channel Coast Scottish
Dancers') audiences in California don't hear a strathspey...

I don't really understand the comment, and I fear that perhaps you've somehow
completely misunderstood my message. Our audiences DO hear and SEE a great
deal of strathspey. Even when we use a 48 bar quicktime done twice to our
32/32/32 medley music, the middle 32 is strathspey to the ear as well as to
the eye; as I'd mentioned, we dance the last 16 of the 1st revolution and
initial 16 of the 2nd revolution in strathspey time. Additionally, in the
same message I had suggested a combination of three different strathspeys to
Neidpath Castle music. We have several other standard strathspey as
strathspey favorites as well, which we often perform, e.g. Culla Bay, which
has its own lovely music. We often alternate Sarona and Autumn in Appin,
which we can do to the music of one or the other, but often like to do this
to the music of Mary Hamilton. So not only do we do many strathspeys, but
don't hesitate to take a quicktime dance and even dance it as a strathspey
(e.g., Pelorus Jack to Macdonald of the Isles--last four bars altered with
dancing couple [of three] chasing to the bottom around the women's side as
bottom couple spirals up one position right hands), but I don't think that
we've ever taken a dance written as a strathspey and danced it quicktime.
Even some of our dancers have on occasion commented that we err too heavily
on the strathspey side, as some think that non-SCD audiences seem to prefer
quicktime! Typically about half of our perfomance is strathspey. I just
don't know what you're getting at, Steve.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Demonstration combos

Message 28167 · Steve Wyrick · 19 Nov 2001 02:38:58 · Top

Volleyballjerry@aol.com wrote:

> I don't really understand the comment, and I fear that perhaps you've somehow
> completely misunderstood my message. Our audiences DO hear and SEE a great
> deal of strathspey. Even when we use a 48 bar quicktime done twice to our
> 32/32/32 medley music, the middle 32 is strathspey to the ear as well as to
> the eye; as I'd mentioned, we dance the last 16 of the 1st revolution and
> initial 16 of the 2nd revolution in strathspey time.

You're right, I misunderstood; I thought you were suggesting doing a
quick/slow/quick dance medley to 2x48 bar quicktime music, instead of the
other way around! Sorry about that Robb! -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@earthlink.net> -- Concord, CA

Demonstration combos

Message 28190 · Bryan McAlister · 20 Nov 2001 14:35:58 · Top

In article <11b.79f7598.29299ccb@aol.com>, Volleyballjerry@aol.com
writes
>Re comment from Steve Wyrick, concerned that our (Channel Coast Scottish
>Dancers') audiences in California don't hear a strathspey...

,..>Additionally, in the
>same message I had suggested a combination of three different
strathspeys to Neidpath Castle music. We have several other standard
strathspey as strathspey favorites as well, which we often perform, e.g.
Culla Bay, which has its own lovely music. We often alternate Sarona
and Autumn in Appin, which we can do to the music of one or the other,
but often like to do this to the music of Mary Hamilton. So not only do
we do many strathspeys,

- But these arent Strathspeys./ They are gentle flowing pastoral airs.
Your audience will probably see a fair bit of artful wafting around but
they wont get to experience effect of a strathspey played properly on a
fiddle with that magical transition into a reel...Neidpath castle which
has a tune that I love playing is on the gentle side. Culla Bay which I
play as a classical guitar air is also on the gentle side.

Go on give them a dowsing of Rothiemurchus Rant, Warlocks, Banks of Spey
etc.
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Email bryan@bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Mobile phone 07801 793849
FAX number - 0870 052 7625

Demonstration combos

Message 28214 · John P. McClure · 20 Nov 2001 23:17:32 · Top

Those looking for strathspeys for show purposes might try The Crown of Kings,
by John Drewry, in the University of Aberdeen Quincentenary Collection.
Three figures, each 32 bars, first and last with some similarity (but large
differences, too) and in a triangular formation, middle figure involving a transforma
transfomation to a straight line, then back to a triangle again. It doesn't
look difficult (though I haven't actually tried it) and should have a nice
variety of shape and movement.

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB