strathspey Archive: Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28140 · Alan Paterson · 17 Nov 2001 10:32:44 · Top

The recent burst of messages on the subject of three couple Tournees and Rondels prompted me to start thinking along similar lines regarding Set and Rotate.

There is a possible way of doing this, as follows;

(Assume all facing partners across the set to begin)

1 - 2 All 3 couples set
3 - 4 All pull right shoulder back and cast one place clockwise round
5 - 6 All cross giving right hand with person *opposite*
7 - 8 All chase one place round clockwise

If you've been following carefully <grin> you will have spotted that
- Each person finishes in partner's place
- the 1st man and 3rd lady kind of shuttle back and forth on the same track (just like 1L and 2M in normal set and rotate)

I reckon that it's feasable to offer this as a 'real' formation (copyright here please and we'll talk about licensing fees privately <VBG>) However, should anyone be aware that this has already been done, then do tell me so that I can get the embarrasment over with quickly.

I then addressed the trickier problem of putting this into a complete dance. I'm still playing with ideas, but my working notes can be found on http://www.paterson.ch/adance.html where I am trying to get a balance between recognisable formations and 'something new'.

If anyone spots major flaws, I would be glad to hear of them.

Alan
Berne, Switzerland

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28141 · Alan Paterson · 17 Nov 2001 15:43:30 · Top

Drat!

Should have checked my own database first.

Barry Skelton has a dance "Band of Gold" which contains this formation.

No idea if it is done the same way though. Does anyone out there know?

Alan

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28142 · Simon Scott · 17 Nov 2001 19:16:30 · Top

Alan, this sounds interesting to both dance and to watch.
The track for 1M and 3L in bars 3-4 is a long way. It may be more manageable
if they just cross rather than cast and cross. Alternately all six dancers
could pull back right shoulder on bar "two" of the setting, thereby 1M and
3L having a better chance of completing their track.
Cheers Simon
Vancouver

(Assume all facing partners across the set to begin)

1 - 2 All 3 couples set
3 - 4 All pull right shoulder back and cast one place clockwise round
5 - 6 All cross giving right hand with person *opposite*
7 - 8 All chase one place round clockwise

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28143 · Alan Paterson · 17 Nov 2001 19:28:10 · Top

Simon Scott wrote:

> Alan, this sounds interesting to both dance and to watch.
> The track for 1M and 3L in bars 3-4 is a long way. It may be more manageable
> if they just cross rather than cast and cross. Alternately all six dancers
> could pull back right shoulder on bar "two" of the setting, thereby 1M and
> 3L having a better chance of completing their track.
> Cheers Simon
> Vancouver
>
> (Assume all facing partners across the set to begin)
>
> 1 - 2 All 3 couples set
> 3 - 4 All pull right shoulder back and cast one place clockwise round
> 5 - 6 All cross giving right hand with person *opposite*
> 7 - 8 All chase one place round clockwise

Simon,

thanks for your comments. I appreciate the points you make.

I haven't been able to try this out yet, but I will do so soon and bear your comments in mind.

In the dance I have thrown together (see now http://www.scottap.com/scd.dances/thorncliffe.html) I have decided to go for Strathspey time, so this problem might be less acute than for quick time. we'll see.

Alan

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28146 · Alan Paterson · 17 Nov 2001 22:35:30 · Top

Alan Paterson wrote:

> Simon Scott wrote:
> >
> > Alan, this sounds interesting to both dance and to watch.
> > The track for 1M and 3L in bars 3-4 is a long way. It may be more manageable
> > if they just cross rather than cast and cross. Alternately all six dancers
> > could pull back right shoulder on bar "two" of the setting, thereby 1M and
> > 3L having a better chance of completing their track.
> > Cheers Simon
> > Vancouver
> >
> > (Assume all facing partners across the set to begin)
> >
> > 1 - 2 All 3 couples set
> > 3 - 4 All pull right shoulder back and cast one place clockwise round
> > 5 - 6 All cross giving right hand with person *opposite*
> > 7 - 8 All chase one place round clockwise
>
> Simon,
>
> thanks for your comments. I appreciate the points you make.
>
> I haven't been able to try this out yet, but I will do so soon and bear your comments in mind.
>
> In the dance I have thrown together (see now http://www.scottap.com/scd.dances/thorncliffe.html) I have decided to go for Strathspey time, so this problem might be less acute than for quick time. we'll see.
>
> Alan

Correction. In case it should be of interest, the correct URL is http://www.scottap.com/scd/dances/thorncliffe.html

Alan

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28153 · Pia Walker · 18 Nov 2001 14:44:13 · Top

But not for the fainthearted - I have danced set and rotate for 3 couples,
most of us ending up in yoga-position and walz hold

Pia
> > Alan, this sounds interesting to both dance and to watch.
> > The track for 1M and 3L in bars 3-4 is a long way. It may be more
manageable
> > if they just cross rather than cast and cross. Alternately all six
dancers
> > could pull back right shoulder on bar "two" of the setting, thereby 1M
and
> > 3L having a better chance of completing their track.
> > Cheers Simon
> > Vancouver
> >
> > (Assume all facing partners across the set to begin)
> >
> > 1 - 2 All 3 couples set
> > 3 - 4 All pull right shoulder back and cast one place clockwise round
> > 5 - 6 All cross giving right hand with person *opposite*
> > 7 - 8 All chase one place round clockwise
>
> Simon,
>
> thanks for your comments. I appreciate the points you make.
>
> I haven't been able to try this out yet, but I will do so soon and bear
your comments in mind.

> In the dance I have thrown together (see now
http://www.scottap.com/scd.dances/thorncliffe.html) I have decided to go for
Strathspey time, so this problem might be less acute than for quick time.
we'll see.

> Alan

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28155 · mlbrown · 18 Nov 2001 14:53:44 · Top

Simon wrote:

> Alan, this sounds interesting to both dance and to watch.
> The track for 1M and 3L in bars 3-4 is a long way. It may be more
manageable
> if they just cross rather than cast and cross. Alternately all six dancers
> could pull back right shoulder on bar "two" of the setting, thereby 1M and
> 3L having a better chance of completing their track.

What do other dancers dance in a "normal" 2 couple Set and Rotate?
Do they set for the full 2 bars facing in, and then cast, or do they start
to cast on the second bar?

I seem to remember there being two schools of thought about setting and
casting (not necessarily in this formation);
One school saw the quick cast as a challenge, with the kilt flying high
during the turn;
the other viewed a waist high kilt as a symbol of poor dancing, where
intelligent anticipation was more highly regarded, and the dancing was made
to look easy.

(As someone who had to master the first 8 bars of Light and Airy for the
Prelim test, you can probably see which school I come from!)

Malcolm

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28174 · Ian Brockbank · 19 Nov 2001 11:22:34 · Top

Hi Simon, Alan,

> Alan Paterson wrote:
>
> (Assume all facing partners across the set to begin)
>
> 1 - 2 All 3 couples set
> 3 - 4 All pull right shoulder back and cast one place clockwise round
> 5 - 6 All cross giving right hand with person *opposite*
> 7 - 8 All chase one place round clockwise

> Simon Scott replied:
>
> Alan, this sounds interesting to both dance and to watch.
> The track for 1M and 3L in bars 3-4 is a long way.

It's no further than for 1M and 2L in the normal set and rotate, so
perfectly in keeping with the character of the figure. I like this
movement, Alan (and I like set and rotate - it's underdone and
overlooked).

Ian
(who will be doing Anna's Wedding Cake at Dunedin on Wednesday.
3-couple Strathspey published by Boston Branch, written by ?Jeanetta
Mccoll, including set and rotate)
--
IndigoVision Ltd http://www.indigovision.com/
The Edinburgh Technopole, Bush Loan, Edinburgh, EH26 0PJ

Set and Rotate for 3 couples

Message 28175 · Alan Paterson · 19 Nov 2001 12:05:44 · Top

Ian Brockbank wrote:

> <snip main body of message>

> (who will be doing Anna's Wedding Cake at Dunedin on Wednesday.
> 3-couple Strathspey published by Boston Branch, written by ?Jeanetta
> Mccoll, including set and rotate)

Brenda Janssen?

Alan