strathspey Archive: MackPherson's Jig

MackPherson's Jig

Message 27951 · mlbrown · 22 Oct 2001 14:26:28 · Top

I have a typed set of instructions for the MacPherson's Jig, and a recent
copy of Pilling.

Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.

My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.

Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can let
me know which is correct?

Malcolm

MackPherson's Jig

Message 27952 · Peter Hastings · 22 Oct 2001 14:42:17 · Top

Hi Malcolm

All 3 couples turn LH (1C do it 1-1/2 times) as a precursor to rights and
lefts.

hope this helps

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
:)

I have a typed set of instructions for the MacPherson's Jig, and a recent
copy of Pilling.

Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.

My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.

Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can let
me know which is correct?

Malcolm

MackPherson's Jig

Message 27954 · ron.mackey · 22 Oct 2001 23:50:59 · Top

> I have a typed set of instructions for the MacPherson's Jig, and a recent
> copy of Pilling.
>
> Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.
>
> My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.
>
> Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can let
> me know which is correct?
>
> Malcolm

the Rannoch Sheets, No5 Give the turn as left hand.
2's & 3's once and 1s !+1/2 to get to their own side.
Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

MackPherson's Jig

Message 27994 · Rudge, Janet · 30 Oct 2001 14:48:04 · Top

Malcolm wrote:

> Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.
>
> My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.
>
> Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can
let
> me know which is correct?

My typed version (not sure where it originates) also says turn right hand.
However I think bars 17-20 may be different between the 2 versions as well.

These are the instructions I have for bars 17-24:

17-20 1st couple cross giving left hands and dance out, 1st lady between
3rd couple and 1st man between 2nd couple, and cast up to 1st place.

21-24 All turn partner right hand once round. 1st and 3rd couples finish
facing each other.

This makes sense because -
(a) if the first couple CROSS before dancing out through the standing
couples
then this repeats the crossing movement of the first 4 bars of the dance,
which is quite likely,
(b) all 3 couples are dancing an equal turn enabling them to cover
with each other, which would also appear to be more likely.

Agnes Macmichael was trying to find the answer to the same question about
6 months ago .... Did you find a definitive set of instructions for the
dance, Agnes?

Best regards,

Jan

Beaconsfield, UK
RSCDS London Branch

MacPherson's Jig

Message 27995 · e.ferguson · 30 Oct 2001 18:07:12 · Top

Dear Janet,

On 30 Oct 2001, at 13:47, Rudge, Janet <RudgeJ@DNB.com> wrote:

> Malcolm wrote:
> > Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left
> > hand. My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand. Is there
> > anyone out there with the proper published instructions who
> > can let me know which is correct?

Derek Haynes recently sent me a copy (from the leaflet) of the
original instructions, which say

17-20 .1M dances between 3C and casts back to the top while 1W
dances between 2C and dances back to the top

21-24 1C turn LH 1 1/2 times while 2C & 3C turn LH once round.

This confirms Pilling and other "official" readings.

I rather like your modification of bars 17-24:

> 17-20 1C cross giving LH and dance out, 1W between 3C and 1M between 2C, and cast up to
> 1st place.

as then all couples turn once round and can cover on 21-24. In
addition, 1C then passes between each of the other couples once,
rather than twice through the same couple. However, I see no
advantage in making 21-24 a RH turn.

Minor point: the spelling is MacPherson's Jig. The deviser is Roger
Bestwick, Manchester. It is published in the Rannoch Sheets.

Happy dancing,

Eric

Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036 e-mail: e.ferguson@antenna.nl