strathspey Archive: Six-Twenty 2-step

Six-Twenty 2-step

Message 27399 · SMiskoe · 18 Sep 2001 05:31:30 · Top

I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy Shand and
used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig. WHJ is 40 bars with a little
tag at the end of the 32 bars. Can anyone confirm my feeling that this
little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the dance, and that the
tune actually doesn't contain it.
Thanks,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Six-Twenty 2-step

Message 27400 · Anselm Lingnau · 18 Sep 2001 09:32:15 · Top

SMiskoe@aol.com writes:

> I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy
> Shand and used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
> I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig.

Well, as far as I know it wasn't really officially *his* radio program,
although of course at the time Jimmy Shand and Scottish dance music
were pretty much the same thing :^)

> WHJ is 40 bars with a
> little tag at the end of the 32 bars. Can anyone confirm my feeling
> that this little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the
> dance, and that the tune actually doesn't contain it.

If you look at Cosh's book it says

THE WHITE HEATHER JIG

To the ADAPTED music of the Six Twenty Two Step. [my emphasis]

32 bars A + 8 bars. 32 B + 8 bars. 32 C + 8 bars. 32 A + 8 bars.
Omit 16 bars of A between B and C.

In my experience music directions don't come more detailed than this ...

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... anselm@strathspey.org
A lawyer without history or literature is a mechanic, a mere working mason; if

Six-Twenty 2-step

Message 27438 · hways · 19 Sep 2001 02:55:36 · Top

The 'Six-Twenty' Two Step as originally published by Mozart Allan in 1960
was structured as follows;
4 bar Introduction
16 bars-- repeat that 16 bars with new last bar
Another 16 bars, also repeated with new last bar
48 bars
First 16 bars and repeat with new final bar.

Harry

> I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy Shand
and
> used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
> I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig. WHJ is 40 bars with a
little
> tag at the end of the 32 bars. Can anyone confirm my feeling that this
> little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the dance, and that
the
> tune actually doesn't contain it.
> Thanks,
> Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Six-Twenty 2-step

Message 27439 · hways · 19 Sep 2001 03:26:29 · Top

A letter from Mozart Allen attached to the music provided instructions for
the White Heather Jig and notes;
To the adapted music of the Six-Twenty Two Step
A + 8 bars, B + 8 bars, C + 8 bars, A + 8 bars
Omit 16 bars, A between B and C.

Harry

> The 'Six-Twenty' Two Step as originally published by Mozart Allan in 1960
> was structured as follows;
> 4 bar Introduction
> 16 bars-- repeat that 16 bars with new last bar
> Another 16 bars, also repeated with new last bar
> 48 bars
> First 16 bars and repeat with new final bar.
>
> Harry

Message 27466 · Bryan McAlister · 19 Sep 2001 22:43:01 · Top

In article <108.5abf36d.28d81a03@aol.com>, SMiskoe@aol.com writes
>I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy Shand and
>used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
>I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig. WHJ is 40 bars with a little
>tag at the end of the 32 bars. Can anyone confirm my feeling that this
>little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the dance, and that the
>tune actually doesn't contain it.
>Thanks,
>Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
looked out my copy of the music which doesn't seem to have any little
tags, Its all in 32 bar bits, am I missing something?
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Email bryan@bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Mobile phone 07801 793849