strathspey Archive: Playing Strathspeys 'properly'

Playing Strathspeys 'properly'

Message 2623 · Sandra Rosenau · 10 Oct 1995 19:20:31 · Top

Please, let's not continue the accordion vs. fiddle wars!

They are both fine instruments with strengths and weaknesses, which
can be terrific or terrible depending on the skill of the musician. Can we
let this one go? Or make it private mail? Please?

Sandra Rosenau, Dayton Ohio USA
sjrosenau@tasc.com

Playing Strathspeys 'properly'

Message 2629 · Alex Tweedly · 10 Oct 1995 21:46:40 · Top

> Please, let's not continue the accordion vs. fiddle wars!

Absolutely.

> They are both fine instruments with strengths and weaknesses, which
> can be terrific or terrible depending on the skill of the musician. Can we
> let this one go? Or make it private mail? Please?

If we must have "instrument" wars, let's make it something interesting:
1. Can the Strathspey "snap" be achieved on harpsichord ?
2. Is gut-strung harp better than metal-strung harp for SCD ?
3. Should we give up all instruments in favour of mouth-music ?

;-)
-- Alex Tweedly.

Playing Strathspeys 'properly'

Message 2646 · Moray McConnachie · 11 Oct 1995 13:13:56 · Top

Since mouth music has been mentioned, I heard something very funny on the
radio the other day (Radio 4, for those of you who know what that means).
Someone was talking about her childhood as a tinker's daughter, and about
her mother being wonderful with the mouth music. The producer of the
programme then saw fit to include a gently playing mouth organ in the
background! Even when the interviewee went on to imitate her mother.
Incidentally, anyone know where the best place (in the UK) to learn mouth
music is?
Yours,
Moray McConnachie

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> If we must have "instrument" wars, let's make it something interesting:
> 1. Can the Strathspey "snap" be achieved on harpsichord ?
> 2. Is gut-strung harp better than metal-strung harp for SCD ?
> 3. Should we give up all instruments in favour of mouth-music ?
>
> ;-)
> -- Alex Tweedly.
>
> --
> Alex Tweedly <agt@cisco.com>

Playing Strathspeys 'properly'

Message 2647 · SMiskoe · 11 Oct 1995 13:20:57 · Top

Alex is right, we should not have wars. Everyone has their own preferences.
By the way, here in New Hampshire, there is an annual 18th century night
where the music is to a harpsichord, augmented with a violin, one strathspey
on a pipe organ. There is no amplification and the grand march is done to
candle light.
RP HAle is the musician.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH