strathspey Archive: Education and training

Education and training

Message 25552 · Keith Eric Grant · 4 Apr 2001 18:16:43 · Top

RuddBaron@aol.com wrote:
> =

> =

> --- Someone needs to enlighten the people at medical schools about this=
=2E
> Supposedly medicine is aware of this, yet they haven't done much to cha=
nge
> their teaching styles.
> =

It reminds me of my wife's comment about fire departments from her days a=
s a
municipal firefighter -- "Fire departments are motivated by 200 years of
tradition unimpeded by progress"

For the columns I'm writing and more general discussions, I recently put
together a list of links to some good starting points on education theory=
=2E
When I find a bit more time, I'll put this stuff together on a web page a=
nd
add the links to the physics education researchers' pages. In the meantim=
e,
the material is short enough and perhaps enough people interested in
thoughts on conveying understanding that I'm appending the list below, wi=
th
the comments I'd interjected in compiling it.

=2E..Keith

As a University of California staff physicist/researcher with background =
in
teaching sports and deep tissue massage since 1992, I have an ongoing
interest in the development and differentiation of massage training and
education.

My interest stems both from a desire to see basic training conveyed as
concisely and effectively as possible with a firm and explicit basis in n=
eed
of content and, for those looking to advanced opportunities in somatic
studies, to insure that massage education takes advantage of the
opportunities to offer new conceptual frameworks and attitudes. In
coordinating with colleges, for example, there are opportunities for syne=
rgy
with existing classes in nonverbal communication and in delivery of care =
at risk populations that did not exist in stand-alone postsecondary
vocational schools dedicated to massage training. There are also issues a=
we develop new programs of being respectful of the students' minds, time,=

and funds.

Much educational research showing the weakness of traditional pedagogical=

methods has been done in physics and mathematics education via those such=
as
Frederick Reif, Edward Redish, and Richard Hake. In "The Unschooled Mind"=
,
educational psychologist Howard Gardner (Harvard -- Project Zero) referre=
to such studies as the smoking gun in educational methodology. Such studi=
es
have demonstrated that even students who successfully complete courses an=
programs may have gained only very superficial (right answer) facility an=
be unable to apply the material they have learned apart from the educatio=
nal
context. Brown, Collins, and Duguid have discussed such "situated learnin=
g"
in a classic 1989 paper. I have appended links to some good starting poin=
ts
to this kind of material below.

Ironically, perhaps the clearest discussions on the differentiation of
training and education in terms of goals, context, and methodology comes
from the military venue. This has been covered in a 1985 paper by Dr. Joh=
A. Kline and and later report on the "Brilliant Warrior" direct towards
development of the air and space force for 2025. While are objectives are=

notably different from the militaries, a number of the distinctions made
between education and training have relevance. I have appended links and
quotes from these sources below.

In a similar context of changing learning needs, economist and management=

consultant Peter Drucker has written extensively on the transformation fr=
om
the industrial worker to the knowledge worker and the need to adopt an
attitude of life-long learning.
(http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ecbig/soctrans.htm). =

How to we foster this attitude in students pursuing advanced somatic stud=
ies
and give them the tools for understanding and continued learning?

--------------------------
Kline, John A., "Education and Training: Some Differences"
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1985/jan-feb/kl=
ine.html

Training is essentially a closed system. The trained individual is easily=

recognized as knowing the "right answers," doing things the "approved way=
," =

or arriving at the "school solution." Under these conditions, the product=
s =

of each trainee in every situation can be expected to look the same.
Education, in contrast, is an open system. Learning is continuous with no=
=

cap or ceiling on how well the graduate may be prepared to handle new
responsibilities. Right answers and ways of doing things often do not exi=
st
in education=96=96only better or worse ones.

Objectives, job requirements, and skill levels are constraints with
training. Yet time required for training can vary because of the aptitude=
,
experience, and previous skill level of the student. With education,
however, time is often a constant (four years, ninety semester hours, ten=

months, forty =

hours in class) and therefore is specified.

Brilliant Warrior: Information Technology Integration
in Education and Training -- A Research Paper
Presented To Air Force 2025, August 1996.
Lt Col Carol S. Sikes, Dr. Adelaide K. Cherry, Maj William E. Durall,
Maj Michael R. Hargrove, Maj Kenneth R. Tingman
http://www.infowar.com/mil_c4i/vol1ch10.pdf

While military training and education both aim at achieving success in
warfare=97regardless of the nature or type of conflict=97they each have a=

separate and distinct focus. Training is the process of teaching others
specific skills to be performed under defined conditions. It focuses on t=
he
psychomotor domain of learning and on performing specified tasks in
specified ways to a predetermined level or standard. Military training,
for example, creates competence in using machines and equipment in the
appropriate ways; it ensures that people can operate and maintain militar=
systems used to fight wars.

Education, on the other hand, focuses on the intellectual or cognitive
domain of learning. It is the process of preparing others to solve proble=
ms
and deal with situations not yet known or defined. It is about learning h=
ow
to learn and discovering what we do not know so that we may survive in th=
future. Military education focuses on the art of war and on developing
insights and intellectual constructs that ensure we fight our wars
smartly; it enables the warrior to envision future threats, engage in
creative ways to resolve conflict, select the right tools and methods, an=
achieve the desired effect.

---------------

I've been doing some more research on cutting edge thoughts on education =
and
learning. What follows are the best of the articles and sources I've
uncovered. Part of this started out simply as my searching for the opinio=
of several innovators on the purpose of education. There's enough depth h=
ere
to keep us thinking for a while on this process we call teaching.

And then there was the quote from physicist Richard Feynman: "What I cann=
ot
create I cannot understand." =

(Feynman on teaching http://www.pitt.edu/~druzdzel/feynman.html)

=2E..Keith

The New Conversations About Learning -- Insights From Neuroscience and
Anthropology, Cognitive Science and Work-Place Studies
http://www.newhorizons.org/lrnbus_marchese.html

The Power of Mindful Learning by Ellen J. Langer

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201339919/ref=3Dase_greensenresou=
rce/104-6212255-3576756

Truth, Beauty, and Goodness: Education for All Human Beings A Talk With
Howard Gardner http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/gardner/gardner_p1.html

Howard Gardner on: Unresolved Issues
http://www.ed.psu.edu/insys/ESD/Gardner/Issues.html

Howard Gardner on: Being Educated (in 2010)
http://www.ed.psu.edu/insys/ESD/Gardner/beingEd.html

21st century learning initiative - The Child is Father of the Man
http://www.21learn.org/publ/abbott_bookch1.html

Battery Hens, or Free Range Chickens: What Kind of Education
for What Kind of World
http://www.21learn.org/publ/abbott_speech.html

Linda Darling-Hammond on:The Purpose of Education
http://www.ed.psu.edu/insys/ESD/Darling/purpose.html

Situated Cognition and the Culture of Learning =

John Seely Brown, Allan Collins, and Paul Duguid =

http://www.slofi.com/situated.htm

How People Learn: Bridging Research and Practice
National Research Council =

http://www.nap.edu/html/howpeople2/

-- =

+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------=
--+
I Keith Eric Grant I Hail to the mountains with summits of =
I <keg@ramblemuse.com> I blue. To the glens with their meadows of=
I http://www.ramblemuse.com/ I sunshine and dew. To the women and men =
I------------------------------I ever constant and true. Ever ready to =
I Over the hills, but not I welcome one home. =
I too far away from the I From the Scottish-American traditiona=
l I
I San Francisco East Bay I song "Mist Covered Mountains". =
+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------=
--+

Education and training

Message 25553 · RuddBaron · 4 Apr 2001 18:38:24 · Top

In a message dated 4/4/01 10:17:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,=20
keg@ramblemuse.com writes:

<< It reminds me of my wife's comment about fire departments from her days a=
s=20
municipal firefighter -- "Fire departments are motivated by 200 years of
tradition unimpeded by progress" >>

--- True...same thing in medical schools, and frankly a lot of universities.=
=20
Law schools, too. Most of it is, as you say, tradition. But, tradition=20
without a purpose needs to go if it is harming progress.

s/RBJ

Sl=E0inte mhath, h-uile latha, na ch=EC 'snach fhaic. Sl=E0inte mh=F2r.
Re=E0bhdtherf=F2rd Beurach MacIain =E0 Na Sti=F9bhartaich

Education and training

Message 25554 · Keith Eric Grant · 4 Apr 2001 19:20:32 · Top

RuddBaron@aol.com wrote:

> --- True...same thing in medical schools, and frankly a lot of universities.
> Law schools, too. Most of it is, as you say, tradition. But, tradition
> without a purpose needs to go if it is harming progress.

At its best, tradition acts like a low-pass filter, moderating the
high-frequency whims and gusts of opinion that shift this way then that way.
This hopefully allows time for deeper thought and consensus to occur before
changes are introduced. At its worst, tradition fixates, attempting to
stifle all change, including those based on new knowledge and understanding
of functionality. In this latter category, I'd include some of the concepts
on brain response to stimuli coming out of MRI and the like as well as
having a far different culture than when universities first flourished.

...Keith

--

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
I Keith Eric Grant I Hail to the mountains with summits of I
I <keg@ramblemuse.com> I blue. To the glens with their meadows of I
I http://www.ramblemuse.com/ I sunshine and dew. To the women and men I
I------------------------------I ever constant and true. Ever ready to I
I Over the hills, but not I welcome one home. I
I too far away from the I From the Scottish-American traditional I
I San Francisco East Bay I song "Mist Covered Mountains". I
+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

Education and training

Message 25555 · Marilynn Knight · 4 Apr 2001 19:40:09 · Top

Maybe the only institutions we should trust are those whowelcome rebel
thinking???

> --- True...same thing in medical schools, and frankly a lot of
universities.
> Law schools, too. Most of it is, as you say, tradition. But, tradition
> without a purpose needs to go if it is harming progress.

At its best, tradition acts like a low-pass filter, moderating the
high-frequency whims and gusts of opinion that shift this way then that way.
This hopefully allows time for deeper thought and consensus to occur before
changes are introduced. At its worst, tradition fixates, attempting to
stifle all change, including those based on new knowledge and understanding
of functionality. In this latter category, I'd include some of the concepts
on brain response to stimuli coming out of MRI and the like as well as
having a far different culture than when universities first flourished.

...Keith

--

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
I Keith Eric Grant I Hail to the mountains with summits of I
I <keg@ramblemuse.com> I blue. To the glens with their meadows of I
I http://www.ramblemuse.com/ I sunshine and dew. To the women and men I
I------------------------------I ever constant and true. Ever ready to I
I Over the hills, but not I welcome one home. I
I too far away from the I From the Scottish-American traditional I
I San Francisco East Bay I song "Mist Covered Mountains". I

Education and training

Message 25556 · RuddBaron · 4 Apr 2001 19:42:53 · Top

In a message dated Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:40:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Marilynn Knight <marilynnk@scchamber.net> writes:

<< Maybe the only institutions we should trust are those whowelcome rebel
thinking???

--- Within reason, of course. The "anything goes" attitude isn't very healthy and frequently leads to degeneration rather than growth.

s/RBJ