strathspey Archive: Blackwater Reel (Book 41)

Blackwater Reel (Book 41)

Message 25509 · Norman Dahl · 1 Apr 2001 09:26:08 · Top

We were dancing this in our group today, and had trouble deciding how to =
get rid of the dancing couple at the end of their second turn. They are =
dancing up and in to third place on bar 32, but the couple in fourth place =
are needed immediately as 3s in the next turn.

Has anyone found a graceful way of doing it?

Cheers,
-norman-

Norman Dahl
Brisbane, Australia=

Blackwater Reel (Book 41)

Message 25520 · ron.mackey · 2 Apr 2001 01:23:33 · Top

> We were dancing this in our group today, and had trouble deciding how to get rid of the dancing couple at the end of their second turn. They are dancing up and in to third place on bar 32, but the c>
> Has anyone found a graceful way of doing it?
>
> Cheers,
> -norman-

Hi, Norman
I learnt this dance in the Seniors Class at St Andrews last year
and the the devisor was in the class. He was quite happy that the
previous 1s should cast to 4th place on bars 1&2 of the next repeat
while the 4s 1/2 turned partners while moving up from 4th place to
3rd place in the centre. By the time the 'twirl' to opposite sides
is complete you can't even see the join!
Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

Blackwater Reel (Book 41)

Message 25542 · Chris1Ronald · 4 Apr 2001 05:14:34 · Top

In a message dated 04/01/2001 1:26:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
n.dahl@bigpond.net.au writes:

> We were dancing this in our group today, and had trouble deciding how to
get
> rid of the dancing couple at the end of their second turn. They are
dancing
> up and in to third place on bar 32, but the couple in fourth place are
needed
> immediately as 3s in the next turn.
>
> Has anyone found a graceful way of doing it?

I don't recall having danced Blackwater reel, but wouldn't it flow better if
couples 3,1 and 4 danced 6-bar reels on the sides on bars 25-30, and then 1W
and 4W (and 1M and 4M) changed places on the sides with a half swinging doors
figure on bars 31-32? 4C would flow right into their half turn and twirl.

Chris.

Blackwater Reel (Book 41)

Message 25546 · Angus Henry · 4 Apr 2001 09:17:08 · Top

>Blackwater Reel
>
>> We were dancing this in our group today, and had trouble deciding how to
>get
>> rid of the dancing couple at the end of their second turn. They are
>dancing
>> up and in to third place on bar 32, but the couple in fourth place are
>needed
>> immediately as 3s in the next turn.
>>
> > Has anyone found a graceful way of doing it?

Try 4C dancing up as they half turn, while former 1C just step back
out as usual.
--

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Angus & Puka Henry:- 4 Eagle Court, Wulagi, DARWIN, NT 0812, AUSTRALIA

Blackwater Reel (Book 41)

Message 25558 · Oberdan Otto · 4 Apr 2001 23:53:54 · Top

>We were dancing this in our group today, and had trouble deciding
>how to get rid of the dancing couple at the end of their second
>turn. They are dancing up and in to third place on bar 32, but the
>couple in fourth place are needed immediately as 3s in the next turn.
>
>Has anyone found a graceful way of doing it?

Hmmm...getting rid of the dancing couple gracefully sounds like an
oxymoron to me. :))

Cheers, Oberdan.

184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: ootto@ootto.com