strathspey Archive: Accordion players.

Accordion players.

Message 2431 · Anonymous · 6 Sep 1995 22:36:17 · Top

On Wed, 6 Sep 1995 16:59:37
>"I think SCD society is rather like a band...fiddles...<etc>
>
>Heard a good definition of a Gentleman, the other day....
>
>"Someone who _can_ play the accordion, but who _doesn't_ !" :-)

Would you rather dance to bagpipes (however well they are played) ?
One might propose that Gentlemen play their bagpipes at a respectful distance,
at best just over the hill somewhere.

What's wrong with accordions ? (I don't play one, but I like the sound).
If I had to choose between dancing for a whole evening to a band without
an accordion, where the only melody instrument was a fiddle, and one which had
an accordion, both with excellent players, I'd choose the accordion band any
day.
Of course, to have both instruments sharing the leading role in a band (ie
taking turns in different pieces) is delightful !

Accordion players.

Message 2435 · Susan Worland · 6 Sep 1995 23:23:20 · Top

>On Wed, 6 Sep 1995 16:59:37
>>"I think SCD society is rather like a band...fiddles...<etc>
>>
>>Heard a good definition of a Gentleman, the other day....
>>
>>"Someone who _can_ play the accordion, but who _doesn't_ !" :-)
>>
>Would you rather dance to bagpipes (however well they are played) ?
>One might propose that Gentlemen play their bagpipes at a respectful distance,
>at best just over the hill somewhere.
>
>What's wrong with accordions ? (I don't play one, but I like the sound).
>If I had to choose between dancing for a whole evening to a band without
>an accordion, where the only melody instrument was a fiddle, and one which had
>an accordion, both with excellent players, I'd choose the accordion band any
>day.
>Of course, to have both instruments sharing the leading role in a band (ie
>taking turns in different pieces) is delightful !

OK, I have to share this... I received the following this morning from the
Balkan music mailing list I'm also on:
I heard this story on the local news this morning.

It seems that the police responded to reports of a disturbance at
a laundromat. When they got there, they found a man and two
women, dressed only in their underwear, dancing to music provided
by a completely naked accordion player. When questioned by police,
the man stated that he could only play the accordion if he wasn't
wearing any clothes.

Hey! He wasn't nekkid - he was wearing an accordion!
Warren
Susan Worland Online Computer Market, Inc.
susan@ocm.com 30 Turnpike Road, Southborough Mass.
http://www.ocm.com (508) 480-0577
A premier provider of products and services for World Wide Web
based advertising, marketing, electronic commerce, electronic
communities and customer support.

Accordion players.

Message 2444 · A J Dewdney · 7 Sep 1995 14:31:18 · Top

>>What's wrong with accordions ?
>>Of course, to have both instruments sharing the leading role in a band (ie
>>taking turns in different pieces) is delightful !

Quite! I DO play the accordian, but not yet well enough to inflict it on
others! So I still play the Gentlemen
BUT
The likes of Sandy Nixon though, towards the end of a good night, with
plenty of life on the floor (I like a band leader who can have eye contact
with his dancers!) is sheer delight. Accordians can impart energy and
drive, whereas fiddles, (which I also play) are much better at lightness and
lift. The combination is great, the trouble is that it is rare. Many
bandleaders regard the fiddle as your optional extra, after the 2 boxes,
piano and drums.

As for playing the box in the buff, no thanks!!!! But maybe that's just my
problem!!!
______________________________________
* Andrew Dewdney,
* IRC for Semiconductor Materials,
* Imperial College,
* SW7 2AX
* 0171-589-5111 Ext 56667 (lab)
* 0171-594-6669 (office)
* Try out our Web page http://sparcy.sc.ic.ac.uk/
*_____________________________________

Accordion players.

Message 2448 · Etienne Ozorak · 7 Sep 1995 18:30:40 · Top

Joe writes...

>What's wrong with accordions ? (I don't play one, but I like the
>sound). If I had to choose between dancing for a whole evening to a
>band without an accordion, where the only melody instrument was a
>fiddle, and one which had an accordion, both with excellent players,
>I'd choose the accordion band any day.
>Of course, to have both instruments sharing the leading role in a
>band (ie taking turns in different pieces) is delightful !

>From one who uses both Equally as lead instruments, I can say that it
is more than delightful! It's downright exciting.

Etienne