strathspey Archive: Different music

Different music

Message 24137 · Denise Babin · 16 Dec 2000 17:26:18 · Top

At the Madison Winter Dance Party last weekend, the Wisconsin Ramblers (Dave
Mullen and Mike Briggs) managed to slip Hava Negila (pardon my spelling)
into a Strathspey, and "Jingle Bells" into a reel, between repetitions of
the more traditional tunes. I can tell you that a diagonal reel of four is
even more fun when you're singing "Jingle Bells". Or at least, trying to
sing "Jingle Bells".

Denise Babin
Milwaukee

Different music

Message 24140 · RuddBaron · 16 Dec 2000 17:55:38 · Top

I do recall one band playing for one of the repetitions of the dance the
Wizard of Oz song... "We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of
Oz." I believe it was a Unicoi ball. It was extremely popular.

Different music

Message 24151 · SMiskoe · 17 Dec 2000 00:44:15 · Top

The acceptability of a 'different' tune depends on the presenting musicians.
If a well known and popular band presents something totally off the wall it
will be at least tolerated whereas if an unknown group presents it they will
be labeled inexperienced. It also depends on where in the program this tune
is placed. 3/4 through when the band and the dancers are totally in harmony
is the best place. The first dance is definitely the wrong place.
Cheers,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Different music

Message 24152 · Mike Mudrey · 17 Dec 2000 00:47:12 · Top

Denise...Denise.....

Its the rhythm!

Now we have Scottish Song Dances!!!

Mike

(ps Denise...Irish next weekend!)

At 03:25 PM 12/16/2000 Saturday, you wrote:
>At the Madison Winter Dance Party last weekend, the Wisconsin Ramblers
>(Dave Mullen and Mike Briggs) managed to slip Hava Negila (pardon my
>spelling) into a Strathspey, and "Jingle Bells" into a reel, between
>repetitions of the more traditional tunes. I can tell you that a diagonal
>reel of four is even more fun when you're singing "Jingle Bells". Or at
>least, trying to sing "Jingle Bells".
>
>Denise Babin
>Milwaukee
>

>--
>"Denise Babin" <dlbabin@hotmail.com>

Mike Mudrey
106 Ravine Road
Mount Horeb, WI53572-1930
608-437-3701

mgmudrey@mhtc.net

dance connections for Madison, Wisconsin
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/dances.htm

Different music

Message 24153 · Freeman/Pavey · 17 Dec 2000 01:13:43 · Top

Sylvia Miskoe wrote:

> The acceptability of a 'different' tune depends on the presenting musicians.
> ... if an unknown group presents it they will
> be labeled inexperienced.

Oh, yes. Dance attire is not the only place you will find snobbery among
Scottish Country Dancers.

Cole Pavey
Maberly, Ontario, Canada

http://members.rideau.net/tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Different music

Message 24167 · Miriam L. Mueller · 17 Dec 2000 18:53:24 · Top

The same thing tolerance for the different applies to new and traditional
dances. I have seen devisors criticised for a transition that doesn't
flow, although teachers often enjoy traditional dances with awkward or
difficult transitions as a challenge.
Miriam Mueller
San Francisco